4.0 out of 5 stars Nice laptop, perfect for everyday use, May 29, 2012
This review is from: ASUS A53U-AS22 15.6-Inch Laptop (1.65 GHz AMD E-450 Processor, 4GB DIMM, 500GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Mocha (Personal Computers)
I ordered this laptop about 30 days ago and have been solidly satisfied ever since. I desperately needed a new laptop for home use and wanted a machine that was stylish, updated and could handle a basic level of tasks. I use this as my primary and only home computer (which doesn't say much, after work, I go home to veg. I needed a machine I could use while watching TV, use while half-sleeping on the couch and something to answer emails in bed after I wake up late for work/other commitments- again).

Pros:
It looks great! It has a distinctive mocha case with a nice detail on it. And, no it's not as light as the MacBook Air or something, but is easy to handle, travels well and looks sleek.

The screen is solid and is a nice size.

The laptop runs very, very, cool. I don't think that mine has even warmed up a bit.

Windows 7 looks great on this laptop.

ASUS has some interesting programs (crapware- but not that crappy).

I can run MS Office programs, Google Chrome, IE, VPN access my work computer, edit web pages and listen to Pandora at once just fine (occasionally the Pandora skips, but that just might be the connection).

Cons:
The keyboard takes some getting used to. . . it's very wide, I tend to favor the buttons on the left and some of the command buttons are in areas I did not expect- and on the way right. With that said, it's a little annoying but easily solvable (I just look down more when I am typing).

The speakers are really not that good. But not a big deal for me because I mostly use this laptop for general home use (to finish projects from work, catch up on volunteer stuff and to check email and my FB). With that said, if I ever felt the need to watch movies or TV shows on it or something, I would just plug in speakers.

This is my first computer with an AMD processor. It's alright and works for me. I can tell the difference between this an Intel processor though- especially when playing basic games and do worry that this laptop will become dated sooner than its Intel counterpart. But the computer has never crashed- just some of the games run a bit slow (READ: I am not a gamer, I am talking about basic silly free games). I saw a review that mentioned the screen cuts out or something like that. . . I noticed that it did reset once or twice while I was loading my files and programs onto the machine. Nothing major though, and this happens on my desktop computer at work too. . .

You have to make your own recovery disks. It took 12 DVDs for me- and A LOT of time. Painful.

But all and all I am super happy with my purchase. Totally worth the price and totally stylish.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2012 6:01:07 AM PDT
LLST says:
Could you verify for me if this laptop has an HDMI port? The pictures suggest that it does, but that specs do not mention one.

Also, is there a cover to access the hard drive on the bottom?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 1:52:45 PM PDT
M633 says:
I have bout two of the previous model ASUS A53U-ES21 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha) and they do have HDMI. My parents use it to connect with their plasma TV without problem. I am buying another one for a friend and came across this newer model. It seems to have a larger drive, better graphic card, but cheaper price. May be the cheaper price is due to some bad reviews. Based on my experience with the two from the previous model, I am surprised to see the negative reviews. I wonder if the problem is due to the different graphic card. I am ordering it anyway, since I am happy with the other two.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›