5.0 out of 5 stars Almost SLR - at half the size (improved), August 30, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-GF6KK 16MP Mirrorless Compact System Camera with Lens Kit (Electronics)
I originally wrote the review below for the GF5. The GF6 has everything I wanted in the GF5 and then some. The three things about the GF5 that bugged me most were the pressure-sensitive touch screen, lack of a zoom lever and not enough function buttons. Well, they did change the touch screen to capacitive and it is now so much more responsive. It's less sensitive to fingerprints since you don't have to push. They even (slightly) increased the screen resolution and made it a tilt screen, though it does add a little (maybe 1/8") more depth. They also added another function button, which I set to DOF preview instead of WiFi. And they added the zoom lever around the shutter button. On the GF5, you have to use the zoom lever on the lens barrel.

But they didn't stop there. They added WiFi which I use for transferring photos while away from home and for remote control on my iPhone. It's awesome! They also added a physical mode dial, which is nice, but if they could only add one dial, I would have preferred a dial for ISO which I change more than mode. Overall, this was a great upgrade. I have everything I want now so I won't need the GF7 when that comes out next year. :)

There may be more features (oh yeah 16 MP) that didn't catch my attention, but these were the upgrades that I found important and enough of a reason for me to sell my GF5 and buy the GF6.

----- my review of the GF5 -----

I gave up my SLR a few years ago and have since been carrying high end compacts - all Canon. This is my first mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. I'm so impressed with the quality, creative control and lens selection. And what used to take a backpack, I can now carry in a small bag. In fact, I can just barely stuff the camera with the included 12-42 retractable lens in my pocket. It's bulky, but can be done.

What you don't get is an optical viewfinder, full physical shutter or control dials for recording mode and ISO. But you can still access these controls, and much more, very easily on the beautiful high resolution touch screen. You do get a 4-way controller with outer dial for setting exposure compensation, focus mode, white balance and shooting mode. In most cases the LCD is more convenient than a viewfinder anyway. And I doubt the shutter will matter to most people either. You can customize the touch screen for easy access to your top ten controls with the Quick Menu that you bring up either with a button or on the touch screen. You can also set the Fn1 button for AEL, DOF preview or any of a number of controls. There are also two customizable touch screen buttons as well as touch focusing.

This lens and some others have a power zoom which is great for video. And the autofocus is incredibly fast! I also bought the 45-175 lens with power zoom and that is also very tiny (at least compared to an SLR lens). Can't pocket the camera with that lens, but it is still proportionally compact.

There is no compromise on the creative control with this camera and the touch screen is simple and convenient. With fast autofocus and sharp, high quality images and many great lenses, this is a great camera!

[Add comment]