2.0 out of 5 stars good content, but poorly produced physical book, March 25, 2010
This review is from: Dive Into Python 3 (Paperback)
I came to this book after slogging through 200pgs of the tome that is Learning Python and getting nowhere. Dive into Python 3 is a more reasonable size, and from reading a few of the chapters online at [...], I felt that Mark Pilgrim had done a good job of writing a Python introduction. I would probably rate the content as 4 or 5 stars.

I was happy enough that I wanted to buy the physical printed edition of the book, to have as a reference and to support the author. I was expecting that the content had been professionally reformatted for book form, with suitable typeface selection and reflowed text. However, I was sorely disappointed when I received my printed copy. It would appear that SoHo Books has done nothing but take the PDF from Mark Pilgrim's site and printed it. I might not mind, except that this was done very poorly. I immediately noticed that the typeface was small, sans-serif, and worst, dithered! The letters are drawn with small,fine dots as if this were printed on an old dot-matrix printer. The result is unlike any other printed book I have, and I consider this unacceptable. The fonts in the PDF appear to be vector drawn when I scale it, and thus SoHo has no excuse for not doing a cleaner job of scaling the pages down. And that's all they did: take pages formatted for 8.5" x 11" and scale them down to about 5.5" x 7" or so. Further, they wastefully left 1.75" of dead white space on top and 1.5" on the bottom.

This cheap printing is a shameful waste of a tree, when it could have been done really well. I would have a much higher quality version if I had printed it on my own printer. I thank the author for licensing his work with the Creative Commons license, but I'm sad to report that I'll be returning this print version. I'll hold out hope that these problems could be corrected for future printings.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2010 3:05:39 PM PDT
I second. I wish I read your review before I bought it. I can't even see underscores in my copy! And I'm trying to learn Python from this book! The material is great (just read the PDF instead of this book), but this reproduction is horrible.

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 11:47:03 AM PST
MattK says:
> It would appear that SoHo Books has done nothing but take the PDF from Mark Pilgrim's site and printed it.

This is quite possible, given the choices Mark gives people in obtaining his content. I would expect the version published by Apress would be of better print quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 12:18:37 PM PST
AstroEng says:
Definately a problem. I am new to Python and was thinking "Wow, they allow you to use spaces in variable names?!" Then I tried the code and kept getting syntax errors. A quick google search told me that spaces are most definitely not allowed. Finally, I downloaded the PDF, and sure enough, there are all of the missing underscores!

What a joke! I'm glad I got a copy from the library before purchasing...

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 12:43:37 PM PDT
J. Wynne says:
Is the physical book still terrible, or have they addressed the issues in the 5 years since it was first released?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (26 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $19.95