5.0 out of 5 stars Recipes and Nutrition Info - more than I expected!, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (Paperback)
I've been a fan of Isa's cookbooks for a long time so had this on pre-order, and it arrived yesterday. I was excited to get it, b/c somehow I'm a vegan who has managed to gain weight since going vegan rather than lose weight. I blame VCTOTW, JOVB, and VCIYCJ - all of which I love and all of which sparked my obsession with vegan baking. At any rate, when I heard this book was in the works, I was really excited. When it arrived, I realized it is far more than I expected it to be. It is FULL of nutrition information - as a family raising a vegan toddler, this is very important to me, and Isa's information and tips will prove invaluable, I'm sure! The recipes seem to be quick, with just a few ingredients, and lots of fresh produce. It looks to rely more on legumes and vegetables than anything else, which is awesome! Isa also includes a section on simple bowls (like at those trendy Asian restaurants) and sandwiches/wraps...so easy. And I'm extra happy about chapters dedicated to soups, stews and chili as we approach colder days. I think we'll cook our way straight through this book and hopefully see the health benefits as we go.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2010 2:01:31 PM PST
Caelae says:
What does VCTOTW, JOVB, VCIYCJ mean?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 2:12:21 PM PST
kfmlabs says:
Sorry! Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar (both books by Isa) and Joy of Vegan Baking (by Colleen Patrick Goodreau). These are all wonderful dessert cookbooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 9:05:16 PM PST
Kristi H says:
yes...they are. I have all of them too (which explains why I had to buy appetite for reduction as well...though I would have bought any new book by Isa :)). I think I gain weight just READING VCTOTW! Ha!

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 11:03:02 AM PST
veggie girl says:
Are there any PICTURES in this book? I was looking through the preview and did not see any.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2011 8:06:18 AM PST
kfmlabs says:
Yes, there are some photos toward the middle of the book.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 1:24:16 PM PST
I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who gained weight going vegan - mostly due to Isa's cookbooks. Thanks for a great review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 11:12:40 AM PST
nikamex says:
Thanks for the review. Which of her many books would you recommend as a FIRST buy for someone who is transitionion from Vegetarianism into Veganism???
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 6:01:39 PM PST
Of Isa's books, I would recommend Veganomicon for someone who is transitioning to veganism. It's got a lot of good, basic staple recipes, plus some really interesting and delicious ones, and it's also got a good intro section full of information for people new to cooking or to vegan cooking. Vegan with a Vengeance is also good, but I think Veganomicon is a more complete resource for all kinds of vegan cooking.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 2:23:00 AM PST
kfmlabs says:
Our first book as we transitioned was Veganomicon and it was very helpful. It is a BIG book though, and I find that many of my go-to recipes are in Vegan with a Vengeance. I think you'd be happy with either. You are smart to start with an Isa book though!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 2:29:51 PM PDT
Autodidact says:
To original poster (kfmlabs): It would be helpful if you edited/rewrote your original review with the full titles of these three other books so that the reader doesn't have to dig through the comments section or (which is what I almost did) simply say 'WTF, if the reviewer can't communicate clearly then I'm skipping this review.' (So as not to appear hypocritical, I'll state outright that 'wtf'--being in wide circulation--is understood by you, unlike VCTOtW.)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›