1,354 of 1,415 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet for a reasonable price, November 5, 2012
This review is from: ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet (7-Inch, 32GB) 2012 Model (Personal Computers)
Update:
---------
Google just announced a newer version of Nexus 7, making this product obsolete. Some of the highlights are -
- A nice bump in the screen resolution - 1920 X 1200 (323 ppi)
- A 5 MP rear facing camera
- Ships with Android 4.3, which has a restricted profile feature that can be used to block in-app purchases and limit access to content.
- The usual improvements in processor, memory, weight, speakers, wireless, etc. You can find the details on the official website for Nexus 7.
- The 32 GB model is $269 now. $20 extra for the new model is well worth it, in my opinion.

Full Disclosure:
-----------------
Let me state upfront that in the last 3 years, my wife and I have purchased 4 iPhones, 4 iPads, 1 Mac Mini, 1 Apple TV and 2 Macbook Airs for ourselves and extended members of the family. I cannot review this product without comparing it to the iPad 2, which I've been using for the last year and a half.

Motivation:
------------
We have an 18 month old son who needs to be entertained with videos and apps while he's being fed and we have an upcoming trip to India during which we'll need to keep him busy during the flight and transits. Here are our requirements -
1) We needed a tablet that is more portable than the 16 GB iPad 2 that we currently have so that it's easy to stuff into my cargo pants or jacket and pull it out quickly when required.
2) We needed more than the 16GB storage to store his favorite videos because we may have intermittent access to WiFi, at least 32 GB.
3) When he's not using it, I would like a tablet that's easy to grip for long hours of reading.

Choice:
--------
Based on these 3 requirements, I restricted my choice to the iPad Mini, Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 32GB.

Here are the reasons I decided to go with the Nexus 7.
The 32 GB iPad Mini was almost $195 ((429 - 249) * 1.0825) more than the other 2 when you include CA sales taxes. It is at least half an inch wider than the Nexus 7 which makes it slightly harder to grip if you have small hands like me. The areas where it's better - slightly bigger screen, iOS app store, rear camera were not that important to me since we already have an iPad 2 and I don't shoot photos or videos with tablets.
I chose Nexus 7 over Kindle Fire because I use a lot of Google services and wanted a tablet with a more open ecosystem. I can read Kindle e-books and listen to music using the Amazon Cloud Player on the Nexus 7. We have a Netflix subscription so the loss of Amazon Instant Video was not that important.

Review:
---------
Here are the things that I liked about the Nexus 7 -
1) Jelly Bean (4.1) is really good. I had played with Android phones and tablets before and they used to lack the smoothness of iOS. I think it's pretty close now.
2) The higher resolution HD screen is great for reading and watching videos.
3) If you are heavily into the Google ecosystem, it's a breeze to set it up.
4) Android in general is more customizable with widgets etc.
5) I was able to download most of the iOS apps that I use frequently with some exceptions. More on that later.
6) I liked the auto-update feature on Android. It's an option that you can tick while downloading an app. It automatically downloads updates to that app.
7) I liked the notification system and realized why iOS decided to replicate it.
8) I also liked the shortcut for looking at running apps and a simple flick deletes them.
9) It is easier for my son to hold compared to the iPad 2. He also has a habit of pressing the home button and exiting the app on the iPad 2 and then complaining about it (he's only 18 months old) but fortunately he can't do that on the Nexus 7.

Here are the things that I thought were missing -
1) There are fewer tablet optimized apps on Android. The quality of apps on iOS for iPad is definitely better. Flipboard was good on Nexus 7 but Zite lacked the polish of the iPad app. NYTimes was good. The usual games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Cut the Rope were more unstable and crashed a few times. I installed Talkatone to make calls through Google Voice and it worked fine. The usual ones - Netflix, Skype, etc. worked fine. I noticed some lag while using Zinio to read the National Geographic.
2) I'm still not used to the Chrome browser on a tablet. It seemed to me that accessing bookmarks on the iOS browser is easier. I found all my bookmarks already synced on my Chrome browser but accessing them requires multiple steps.
3) It is slightly heavier than the iPad Mini but not by a lot. The iPad Mini is still ahead in terms of external design and looks but the cost mattered more to me this time. I may have paid $100 more for the iPad Mini because of the iOS app ecosystem advantage but $195 was a very high premium for an optional device.

Conclusion:
-------------
The Nexus 7 is an excellent device irrespective of the price but the price makes it easier to appreciate it even more. If your requirements and expectations are similar to mine, I would strongly recommend it. I bought this product from Office Depot but I felt that the review might help others make a decision.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 7:08:15 AM PST
excellent Review truly honest and realistic , thank you

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:08:26 AM PST
Thanks for the Great Review, I was looking at this for my 1-1/2 and 5-1/2 yr old to play games on and thought this would be easier for them to hold than an iPad- You confirmed my thoughts on price, size, etc. I will be buying the Nexus 7. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 8:02:16 PM PST
Best review I have ever read on Amazon...I was deciding between the nexus 7 and new nexus 10 coming out, but after this review, I feel like I made a more educated decision that benefits me and my wallet! Thanks for taking the time to help everyone out!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:12:33 AM PST
Teresa Stacy says:
Great Review.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:52:06 AM PST
excuse me I want to ask you, is this the Cellular version of the "NEXUS 7" or it's just Wi-Fi ? because I want to confirm before I Buy it .. I couldn't find any info about this in the details

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:15:00 PM PST
sidroy says:
This review was for the WiFi only version.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:51:45 AM PST
I was very close to get a fire HD, but after several good comments, I decided to get the Nexus 7 32Gb. Thanks for sharing your comments!.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:18:38 AM PST
S. I. Shaw says:
Good review.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 10:20:22 AM PST
You bought it for your 18 month old son? O.o How the hell is an 18 month old supposed to use a tablet? This kids gonna be really spoiled when he grows up!

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 1:01:08 PM PST
Jeff says:
Thank you so much for taking the time to review this product. I thoroughly enjoyed your opinions, especially the comparisons made between apple and nexus 7. You made my decision easier...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (1,407 customer reviews)

$249.00 $146.50