Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Flavor okay, not great, August 9, 2009
This review is from: Pure Bar Organic Wild Blueberry, Fruit & Nut Bar, 1.7-Ounce Bars (Pack of 12) (Grocery)
I struggled with rating this bar a 3 or a 4. Taste is only about a 3, but quality of ingredients in providing a healthy and edible alternative to a candy bar rates it a solid 4. Below is the gist a a review I wrote for Larabar Fruit & Nut Food Bar, Cherry Pie comparing it with the PURE Wild Blueberry Bar.

When I was searching for a healthier between meal afternoon snack I read a lot of reviews for a lot of products. I wanted something with few ingredients, not "fortified" and with some nuts in it. I settled on the Larabar Fruit & Nut Cherry Pie bars and the PURE Bar Organic Wild Blueberry Living Food Bar. I love cherries and I love blueberries so they seemed like good choices.

The stats of the bars are very similar, weight (both 1.7oz, not 1.8), calories, fat, sugars, etc. The PURE has more protein at 6g vs 4g. The Larabar has no sodium while the PURE has just a bit at 5mg. The Larabar is thicker, the PURE bar is wider. Visually the Larabar appears to have more nuts in it, which doesn't seem to jive with the protein stats. The PURE bar has a grittier texture while chewing so maybe more of the nuts are finely ground.

1st ingredient is dates for both followed by almonds and then cherries for the Larabar and followed by blueberries and various nuts, organic agave nectar, rice protein and lemon juice for the PURE bar. One would think with the extra ingredients in the PURE bar they were added to tweak the flavor or give it a fresher taste, but the flavor of the Larabar is better than the PURE by a pretty good margin. It has a much fresher and lively taste. I have to say the PURE bar is a bit cardboardy tasting to me and has a drier mouth feel. It is not bad, in fact my 2 youngest kids eat them readily, just not nearly as good as the Larabar. I think the tartness of the cherries in the Larabar kick up the flavor vs the milder blueberry flavor of the PURE (maybe the lemon juice add as an attempt to kick up the PURE bar flavor and tartness?). In fairness I should probably review the PURE Cherry Cashew bar but I much prefer almonds over cashews so don't plan on ordering any from Amazon. If I stumble on the PURE cherry in a regular store I will give one a try though. I still get both auto shipped from Amazon for variety sake, but am looking for a better tasting blueberry bar w/ basic ingredients including nuts.

For grins here is a comparison of the Larabar, PURE, Snickers, Hershey's and Maruchan Chicken Ramen noodles in a few categories. Stats are listed in the order I listed them in the previous sentence.

Calories: 190, 190, 280, 210, 380
Total Fat: 8g, 9, 14, 13, 14 Saturated Fat: 0.5g, 1, 5, 8, 7
Sugars: 21g, 20, 30, 24, 0
Protein: 4g, 6, 4, 3, 10
Sodium: 0mg, 5, 140, 35, 1540 !!!

UPDATE Nov 11, 2009 PURE has changed this bar.

I got my regular shipment and noticed the bars came in a newly shaped box and new packaging. Total fat went from 9g to 8g and they eliminated all sodium. Total carbs edged up to 26g from 25g. Protein remains 6g and calories at 190.

The BIG CHANGE is that "Organic Wild Blueberries" drops from the 2nd item listed on the ingredients list to the 5th! Blueberries are now after not only dates but walnuts, cashews and rice proein concentrate. Bumping up the nut content would not be a bad thing, but since the total fat actually decreased and carbs increased, I think the nut quantity actually decreased along with the blueberries, but the date quantity increased. This seems to basically be a date bar w/ nuts now and some minor blueberry content. I'd love to see the actually quantity of blueberries in this bar. Ironically, I can actually see blueberries scattered in the new bar, whereas the old bar was more of a dense blended mush. The bar is noticeably lighter in color now (and density)...more tan than blue. The new packaging implies a longer slimmer bar shape, but oddly the actual bar is shorter, wider and a tad thicker...package marketing? The total weight is unchanged at 1.7oz. I'm still looking for an alternative blueberry bar...I imagine cost is a big factor in blueberry content. My 2 kids will still eat these but they noticed the change right away and are not impressed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2010 2:39:27 PM PDT
Liolanaia says:
I am in Amazon Vine, and was thinking of ordering them to review them, but I do not see the point as your review is so thorough and edited over a period of time. I do not see the point of putting up another review. :) Great job!!!

God Bless ~Amy

Posted on Apr 17, 2010 10:01:23 AM PDT
Thanks for a wonderful review! I wouldn't have known that the content/formulation had changed unless you had posted this.

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 5:19:53 AM PDT
Steve K says:
I have never seen a more detailed review for such a simple item like this. I think you analysed this more than the people who designed them.

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 11:01:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2010 11:02:28 AM PDT
athiker says:
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I've stopped getting these auto-shipped now. The flavor and content just don't do it for me anymore. I really wanted a bar with some decent berry content. Nuts for protein & fat and to give some hunger holding off staying power and berries for some sugar & anti-oxidants. I'm sure this bar is still among the healthiest choices out there compared to many, many snacks, but when your brand name is PURE and the name of the bar starts out with "Organic Wild Blueberry" you set yourself up to a pretty high standard.

I still haven't found a blueberry substitute if anyone has suggestions. I still get my Cherry Larabars auto-shipped and like them as much as ever. My wish for them would be a bit more nuts for more protein but I keep a container of Emerald Mixed Nuts around now. It's a really nice blend, not just peanuts. Harder to control portions with a whole can than with a single bar though!

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 3:14:53 PM PST
A. Miller says:
I'd just like to add that now the Larabar's, for all the one's I've seen, are no longer listed as raw on the bar. They're also now owned by "Small Planet Foods". These are the same people I seem to remember owning Cascadian Farms, who are suppose to be owned by General Mills. Just putting those warnings out there.
Also Lara Bars are NOT Organic, like USDA sealed or even attempt to be. I'm not saying go for Pure since I've never had them, just some notes.
Oh and there are a lot of other bars like these, at least judging from the look of the bar posted, which include: Clif Bar Nectar and Raw Revolution.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 9:47:54 AM PDT
CB says:
PranaBar Organic SuperCharger Blueberry Coconut, Raw Enzyme Power, 1.7-Ounce Bars (Pack of 12)

Our blueberry bar gets rave reviews for its taste. I highly recommend you try them. You contact contact us at sales@pranabar.com for more information or a sample.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:59:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 4:10:21 PM PDT
loco.motive says:
Thanks for the review. I was disappointed with the first bar of the box of "Pure" I purchased. In two places on the ingredient list "Sunflower oil" is mentioned. The bar tastes oily. I believe that Sunflower oil is one of the oils that can go rancid (read mildly toxic) over time. I think the "Pure" bar people used a cheap way to decrease the cashew content by adding this oil. I think it not only shows in the taste but also the quality. I am curious as to how many grams of added Sunflower oil are in each bar. I just checked the "Larabar" ingredients and noted this: "All fat comes from nuts only and provides 2 g of Omega 6 fatty acids."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 1:58:28 PM PDT
golden hawk says:
Try: http://www.amazon.com/thinkThin-Crunch-Mixed-Blueberry-1-41-Ounce/dp/B005GSHUNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341953881&sr=8-1&keywords=think+thin+blueberry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 1:59:46 PM PDT
golden hawk says:
first ingredient agave? yikes

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:18:03 AM PST
sweetums says:
Thanks for a wonderful review!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›