Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a return to grace for Argento, but a very solid flick, October 15, 2007
This review is from: Do You Like Hitchcock? (DVD)
Coming off The Card Player, which many see as Dario Argento's worst movie I went into Do You Like Hitchcock with very low expectations. For the longest time I actually avoided the movie. Argento is without a doubt one of my very favorite filmmakers and quite possibly my favorite horror filmmaker.

While many might disagree with me I feel Trauma was his last great movie and The Stendhal Syndrome is last really good movie. Since his career has been average or downright terrible. I couldn't see this being any worse than The Card Player, but I didn't think I could watch one of my Idols continue his fall from grace.

But I have to say I actually really liked this movie a lot. When it comes to the legacy of Dario Argento Do You Like Hitchcock will probably not even get a mention, but this was a really surprisingly good movie.

After watching Do You Like Hitchcock the first thing that I thought was Dario Argento still sort of has it. This may not be Argento at his very best and while it doesn't compare to his classic films I do believe this movie can stand proud in his body of work.

I guess it was only fitting Dario Argento would do a movie like this since he is called the Italian Hitchcock. You get a little bit of Strangers on a Train, Rear Window and Dial M for Murder mixed with Argento's style.

The screenplay by Dario Argento & Franco Ferrini was rather solid for the most part. Most fans will say the screenplays to Argento's movies aren't the strong point, which is sort of true. I found a lot of his early work well-written, but in general while his scripts weren't bad they could be seen as his only weakness. Do You Like Hitchcock isn't the best screenplay ever written, but I think it was a solid one.

There were some touches of comedy and I found it rather amusing at times. Since the plot is inspired by the films of Alfred Hitchcock the mentions of his movies as a fan were also a lot of fun. Overall the script is interesting enough to keep things moving along.

The biggest complaint is the lack of violence, but I didn't mind it at all. This was far less violent than Argento's work prior, but what it lacks in violence it makes up for in suspense. Though the first murder, which comes about 20-minutes in is kinda bloody.

I also think it just might be one of the best kill scenes in a movie by Argento. The whole set up was classic Argento, which is another reason why I think Argento still has it. While he may not be the filmmaker he once was he still can deliver the goods.

This may not be a return to grace for Dario Argento, but it's still in my opinion a solid flick with some nice twist and turns. Don't go in expecting another Deep Red or Tenebre. Take the movie for what it is and I think you might find yourself enjoying it.

The visual side Do You Like Hitchcock looks good; Argento could possibly be the best visual filmmaker out there and of course he delivers here, but it's toned down a bit and he doesn't use the wild angles or colors he did with Suspiria, but Do You Like Hitchcock still looks good

In closing, Dario Argento may not be the filmmaker he once was, but I do think he has a lot left to offer us. This may not be one of Dario Argento's all time greats, but for the most part it's a well made flick with some pretty good suspense and tension. Like I said don't go in expecting another Deep Red or Tenebre. Just take the movie for what it is and you mind find yourself enjoying it.

[Add comment]