5.0 out of 5 stars Dual language and remastered video, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah / Godzilla Vs. Mothra (1992) - Set [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I nearly avoided ordering these discs. The pre-release information around presentation was scarce. I knew it would have English language, which is good, but I couldn't find anywhere that listed whether they were bilingual. I am glad I ordered them, as they ARE bilingual. You can watch these classics in spoken English OR spoken Japanese. And there are proper subtitles as well, so you can watch in Japanese with subtitles or.... in English with subtitles (which doesn't make much sense to do unless you want to see where they change dialog to match lip flaps or whatever).

So if you were on the fence because of not knowing if it was a duplicate of the horribly botched DVDs (cropped for 4:3, English only), rest assured you should just buy these without a second thought.

There are also French subtitles, but I cannot comment on their quality as I am unable to read or understand French. There is NO French language option for the films.

This is ALSO TWO DISCS. Not a single disc like I vaguely recall the original DVDs being.

Video:

Remastered video. This is the same video used on the Japanese Blu Ray releases, except I would assume they adjust video bit rates because... well that tends to be the idea of discouraging reverse importation back into Japan. I can't compare as I don't own any of the Japanese Blu Ray Godzilla films.

Both G v KG and G v M films look good. Neither suffers from anything horrible and I would say the remastering was a success.

Even better is that these are the original Widescreen presentations, NOT the "full screen" (pan and scan) options of the original DVD releases.

Audio:

You can choose spoken English as an option.You can choose spoken Japanese as an option. You can add soft subtitles.This is the way I think all Godzilla films should be made available. You can watch them as originally released in Japan, or as they should have originally been released in English.

The audio is done in 5.1, but honestly I struggle with hearing anything from the rear speakers, generally speaking. They weren't done with 5.1 in mind originally, so this is understandable and acceptable.

Extras:

I hope all you want are trailers, because that is the extent of the extras on disc.

Overall:

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah / Godzilla Vs Mothra are both fun films. Both are worth watching and enjoyable. That they are now presented in their original aspect ratios, and with option Japanese lanugage with subtitles is like icing on the cake.

Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2014 11:10:14 AM PDT
It's nice to see that these movies got the releases they deserved. I admit that I was unease with the fact that the end credits were cut off, but thankfully it's only on these two movies, and the fact that it comes with the Japanese language and english subtitles makes up for that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2014 8:45:38 PM PDT
Lance Lust says:
I don't want them if they have the credits cut out; I hear that KING GHIDORAH has a fight sequence during those credits...

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2014 3:10:15 AM PDT
Yeah. I didn't actually realize there was supposed to be anything during the credits.

Unfortunately, it's still cut. It was cut from the DVD release from what I recall as well.

Sorry Lance. It's almost perfect. Almost being the key I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2014 9:45:58 AM PDT
I have the Japanese DVD of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah with the ending credits untouched. There is no fight sequence with Ghidorah at the end, it's just Godzilla roaring underwater as the credits roll. Just thought I'd let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2014 10:14:07 PM PDT
Lance Lust says:
I looked back on the review I had read, and yeah, it isn't a fight scene. It's something, though...

Posted on May 16, 2014 9:57:49 AM PDT
Godzillinois says:
When this was up for pre-order all I wanted to know is if these were the original widescreen or cut like the DVDs were. Thanks so much for your review!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2014 12:09:04 PM PDT
That's exactly where I was. I took the chance and preordered simply because I knew I could return them if it turned out that it wasn't widescreen and dual language.

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 8:57:50 AM PDT
Actually the print of King Ghidorah is edited. It's a HD version of the print they used for VHS. The end credits are cut. Mothra fares better, but the end credits are still cut. Heisei films had footage through the credits so it's still sadly the same old editing job as before.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2014 8:59:20 AM PDT
They must want a excuse to relese another set twhen the next Godzilla comes out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (31 customer reviews)

$19.99 $11.49
Reviewer

Stephen M. Lerch
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 145