5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch images, March 29, 2010
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 14.1MP Digital Camera with 10x Wide Angle Optical Zoom with SteadyShot Image Stabilization and 3.0 inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)
Having owned many pro-level cameras in the past, it was difficult for me to find a solid and versatile point-and-shoot. This camera has everything I was looking for and just a bit more.

Pros:
I am impressed with the amount of control the H55 gives me.
Panoramic imaging built in (its nice to see the results right away rather than just eyeballing it) .
Image quality - wow @ 14MP, the images are gorgeous.
Color accuracy is great with good lighting.
The camera handles quite nicely and is very easy to navigate.
The wide angle lens is fantastic at this price. As a pro I would have spent a couple hundred on the lens alone.
Excellent range on zoom. I was quite happily surprised.
Battery life seems much more adequate than the W330 I previously purchased and returned.

Cons:
The flash is far from balanced and seems too hot to be used for fill. I'm new on this camera and I'm used to pro-level equipment, so I'm sure I'm expecting too much here. That, or I just don't yet have the hang of it.
Color accuracy breaks down at lower light levels. Since I didn't have a real meter with me, I couldn't tell at which precise number breakdown begins to occur. I would guess around 4 lux is about as good as it gets. Beyond around that, it gets pretty noisy. I'll experiment with some night shooting when I have it on a tripod. But I won't get my hopes up.
Doesn't seem to allow you to manually close the lens. Not a dealbreaker, but it would seem a fairly simple feature to offer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2010 6:14:04 AM PDT
Hello, I am very close to buying this camera, but would like to know if someone has filmed something in a noisy environment, I record a lot in parties/clubs and usually I stand in front of the dj's right beside the speakers, my Sony T2 I can shoot at any club and the sound does not distort at all! I bought the Sony T90 and the sound it records is very bad, impossible to hear anything, albsolut totally distorted. Could you please turn-on the sound of your home at a very high volume and record a video of the speakers (poitintting to them) very close and then say if it distorts or not? would mind to upload to Youtube for us to see?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2010 7:28:58 AM PDT
Jeffrey says:
I would not use such a camera for recording audio. Any smallish camera will suffer from mechanical noise. Your best bet would be to use an external mic recorder like a Zoom H4n - a really nice audio recorder and mic set, especially for music and great in a wide variety of situations.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 3:05:59 PM PDT
paul40 says:
hi there -

i recently purchased this camera and im really disapoointed - the pictures are grainy and if you crop them slightly the image quality is poor. it is set to the highest quality (14megapixels). i'm used to using an SLR so maybe im spoilt, but i compared to an old canon 6megapixel and the quality is not nearly as good. am i doing something wrong? could i email you some of my pics so you could tell me if they are grainy or not?

thanks,

paul

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 12:22:35 AM PDT
can this camera be used with just vista home basic?

thanks

dan

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 7:39:59 AM PST
chas1376 says:
Can this H55 charge battery via usb cable to usb socket on computer?Can any Sony have this feature?Thanks,Chas

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 3:58:01 PM PST
C. Hemenway says:
I purchased this camera about 2 weeks ago. I've been disappointed in the how grainy and noisy the pics are. Especially in low light. Can you walk me through any settings adjustments that would help with this. A lot of people say they love this camera, but it hasn't been giving me great shots. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 4:49:52 PM PST
Jeffrey says:
I actually did write about that in my review. It cannot handle low light well. 4 lux is not even that low. Indoor with flash is not bad. If you need solid low-light performance without flash, this won't be your camera. You need something with a faster lens for that. No getting around it - you must have quality glass for low-light performance. The minimum you'll pay for a camera with a fast lens like that will be around the $400-500 mark to start. Hint - you need something on a par with a DSLR to gain multiple lens options. And FWIW, I have paid upwards of $10k for high-end lenses that get me that low-light performance and versatility. And you can pay even more than that, btw.

So, it's all about degrees of quality. You can have a great camera, but a bad lens and it'll shoot crap pictures unless you want that kind of look. Put a high-end lens for another several hundred bucks and it'll look like a whole new camera. Same applies, though to a lesser degree, for flashes and lights of all sorts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 4:51:29 PM PST
Jeffrey says:
It doesn't do that. The charger is proprietary, but there are third party vendors who sell compatible ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 4:56:28 PM PST
C. Hemenway says:
Ok. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:15:04 AM PST
paul40 says:
i've had this camera for a few months - you're right, the quality is crap, in any light. if you crop or zoom at all you can see the horrible blottchiness of the skin tones. i get better quality pics from my blackberry. dont be fooled by the high megapixel, it's the sensor and lens that count. this camera is a pile of poo. take it back and buy a canon.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›