4.0 out of 5 stars An inexpensive workhorse that looks more expensive, June 8, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's MTP3036A-2AV Analog Bracelet Watch (Watch)
Caution: If you've been reading my other recent watch reviews, this watch is NOT one of my recent purchases; it stands by itself.

I decided to look for an inexpensive dress watch before interviewing for some internal positions at my company. Finding the Casio MTP3036 was a good choice.

For me, this watch was not a "practical" watch; it was purely for looks, with the outside benefit of being able to tell the time. I'll get to that later to explain. For brevity, I'll refer to this watch as "the 3036".

The 3036 is a NICE looking watch. Until Joe eagle-eyes reviews the stainless steel case or reads the watch face and notices "CASIO/QUARTZ", lots of people have told me (after I mentioned it first) that they thought it was a more expensive watch. The brushed silver case and pretty blue face look really nice; it has a refined, elegant, classic look to it, and a simple date display. The looks of the band are also simple and unobtrusive, and after a year of use I can't see any damage or discoloration. However, I can say that the crystal has some light etching or spots; I haven't tried heavy-duty cleaning, but they are visible to me. Luckily, the crystal face has no scratches, so +1 there.

Features are standard and unexciting. As I noted above, this watch was purchased primarily to make a mild impression in a business setting without breaking my wallet. For readability, I highly prefer a white face, analog, Arabic numerals, and glowing hands. While there is nothing about the 3036 that makes it difficult to read, the blue face was purely for looks, and it does a nice job. It is no exaggeration that several coworkers have commented, "what a nice watch!", and I had to modestly admit it was under $25.

I noticed in another review that someone said this model has a screw-off back. I don't see any screws, and those studs on the front of the case are NOT covers. If it is indeed friction-fit like it appears, too bad. Replacing the battery if/when necessary will probably be a job for a jeweler, because I've broken more than one watch with a tight, friction-fit back.

One of the features that I will not pick on too terribly is the comfort and fit of the band. I dislike the watch's overall weight, and I had a DEVIL of a time removing links to help it fit my wrist (find instructions online, and don't blame me....). Fortunately, the clasp has three adjustment holes for the right fit. I can also compliment the clasp for having a lock-shut feature; I cannot pop off this watch without depressing the clasp release. I've owned a few bracelet watches that popped off incessantly, and this one is a HAPPY exception; it NEVER pops off.

All of this said--I admitted that I bought this watch for looks and not practical reasons. I accept responsibilty for that decision, and wear it to my office conscious of the 3036's compromises. It still looks great, keeps good time, and cost less than dinner for two with a tip.

Oh, did I mention I got the job? :)

[Add comment]