Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on PlasmaCar

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, October 5, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rage (Video Game)
I need to pipe in as I felt the reviews from the gaming press have been a little unfair. As with most people, I was waiting patiently for the reviews to start pouring in before I made the ultimate choice to buy the game but I'm very happy I pulled the trigger and bought it, cause this game rocks. I was literally at Game Stop, Rage anarchy edition in one hand, Dark souls in the other, conflicted, because most of the reviews I read for RAGE pretty much were a rinse and repeat of "Amazing graphics, gameplay sucks and the story is fatally flawed"...however I went with my gut and happy I did, because these reviews were either too harsh or simply just not true.

Honestly, the only reason why I gave the game 4 stars instead of 5 is that the game does give a gratuitous amount of hints at a deeper story without ever actually realizing it, like they dangle the carrot right out in front of you, always just out of leaves you with the who/what/when/where/why never actually realizing its full potential. That IMO, is a legitimate grievance to ID, "Hey guys, if you're going to do something, do it." With Doom, the simple story arch merely served to set the tone, this they can get a way with since the game was ultimately about some fool opening up the gates of hell and you're there to stop it, return to castle wolfenstein played exactly the same way, which is fine. However, the world of RAGE is deeper and nuanced, with a lot more things going on...was it an EPIC fail, HELL NO! They have so much to work with on future iterations to make this another long standing gem of an IP hopefully. But, if they nail down that one gripe, this game can easily go from very good to excellent!!

If you can get past that one caveat, this game certainly has everything else, the graphics and game play are all top notch and this game sports some of the best character animations I have EVER seen...i thought uncharted 2 and red dead redemption had the best animations and they're still awesome, but RAGE took it a step cant help to be amazed at what youre looking at, every NPC has their own personality and unique facial expressions and the frame rate is impeccable.

Also Ive seen a lot of comparisons to Borderlands and Fallout3, I love both of those games for very different reasons. If you look at RAGE from a birds eye view, its more like Borderlands in terms of story, in that, there is one, its there, albeit vague and never fully realized and really just ends up being second to the actual game play. But, did that totally detract from Borderlands being a great game? Its 2 years old and I'm still grinding away at it with my friends because it was just plain fun to play...RAGE is also just plain fun to play.

So, at the end of the day, its all about what you want to play right? Do you want something youre not going to put much thought into, but want all the FPS awesomeness and great graphics? If so, RAGE is for you and you will have fun!

The AI is challenging, there are shades of Aliens 2 (or just ALIENS lol) where you'll be scavenging around a derelict hospital or subway station, you'll see mutants scurrying around, you know youre not alone and then mutants will start appearing out of nowhere, climbing on ledges, swing off rafters, busting down through drop ceilings, they'll be running around, jumping off pillars, dodging your bullets...theyre hard to target, the gun play is frantic and its difficult to predict where theyre going to come from next. It does get creepy at times, and like Doom, you can be confident in the fact you're going to get ambushed...often. It should also be noted that the human AI is considerably easier to predict since theyre more likely to duck and cover though they have more tactical advantages, they'll talk to each other and if your not careful, they will try to surround and flank you. Of course, a well placed turret will help you in these types of situations :)

But on the flip side, if story is your thing over game play and you want something thats going to have a deep intriguing experience like Fallout, this game isnt for you, because youre probably going to get annoyed at the gaps the game leaves in the story.

**I also want to note I did give this game a 5 star FUN rating, because with the exception of the deeper story, ID's bread and butter is and always has been FPS plain and simple, and the game plays out exactly what I've come to expect from ID over the years. The story is no after thought and its obvious ID is trying to do something new and branch out and start developing games with deeper more satisfying story archs. i really hope they nail that one down eventually, but they've never let me down in the fun department. From Doom 1 to Doom with the Simpsons mod to RTCW to RAGE, their games and tech get better with time!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2011 11:44:16 AM PDT
J. S Thomas says:
Nice review, i was hoping Rage would be more like FO3 than borderlands...but that day will come hopefully when Bethesda surpasses themselves with a game as good as or better than FO3. I know they didnt develope Rage...but it still sounds like fun....

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 1:26:36 PM PDT
M. DiSpirito says:
Nice review, sir. I think gamers are so mind-wiped by the COD-style of FPS that something like this is harder to fathom. It occupies a strange middle-ground between insane action and light RPG. As usual, ID software is their own animal. Heck, all their games have that model.

@ JS Thomas: You know Bethesda is going to surpass Fallout 3 with Skyrim... admit it. :) And then there will be the day of Fallout 4. Skyrim is a great preview of how their new engine will work.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 11:43:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2011 12:56:39 AM PDT
Animal says:
Awesome review, I like how you foot-stomped the devs. I have a feeling some people saw the post-apocalyptic theme and rushed to associate it with other RPG/pseudo-RPG titles. If more folks knew ID's style ahead of time, it would have saved a lot of heartache.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 3:31:19 AM PDT
Awesome review!

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 7:58:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011 8:42:06 AM PDT
Chris says:
Thanks for the comments guys, glad I could help!

I'm about 15-16 hours into the game, started the second disk at around 13 hours. Theres a surprising amount of content compared to most FPS's released lately. i dont think it will take that long for the typical player, but I'm a completionist, if I'm really into a game, I like to get all the achievements I can before it gets shelved. I also want to point out, the missions are surprisingly varied, meaning it doesnt really feel like a total rinse/ repeat of fetch quests that Borderlands was totally guilty of. There are a couple places you visit more than once, but they are also few and far between. Most of the places you visit are fresh, which keeps me interested.

My cousin was on the fence about this game too because he felt like the game was going to be alot like Dragon Age 2 where the devs just recycled the levels til oblivion...honestly, I thought that was the one turn off to an otherwise great action rpg series, but I digress, we're not really comparing apples to apples here, just needed a good example of Dev laziness, which IMO is not the case with RAGE. Its obvious the dev's went to great lengths to make each environment feel thematically derelict, but fresh...I'm still amazed by the graphics...especially in levels like the Dead City and the subway station. Walking around those levels feels realistic, creepy and emotionally hollow, like all life was truly eradicated abruptly, i was quite impressed how well they tied that together.

But as i play, I can see where some of the gripes about the story kind of tie in though and for the sake of not spoiling the fun i wont go into much detail other than the fact that the game really does tie in some very interesting story plot points that (at least from my POV) they havent really explained in greater detail thus far. Maybe thats reserved for future games/DLC, IDK, but the world you find yourself in, feels like it deserves greater explanation...and to that end, is why its like Borderlands, though it does ultimately do a better job at the story.

But at the end of the day, its strong points are ID's bread and butter...the running and gunning never gets old. Though you can use one type weapon if thats your preference, they do a really good job at making certain weapons better than others for each of the enemies. i'm always cycling through my weapons based on environment, for example, the shotgun is great for mutants, but not so great for wise the AR is great on gearheads and bandits, but not so great on super combat is always varied and for an FPS thats a nice thing to have..

anyways, im still loving this game, even after 15 hours of game play. I'm sure for you guys it'll be the same, especially if youre looking for some fun before Skyrim is out lol :) laterz ~c

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 4:53:30 AM PDT
Nadine says:
GREAT review.
I'm currently playing RAGE - I'm still near the beginning, just cleared Wasted Garage on normal skill.
This game reminds me so much of Mad Max/Fallout3. Graphics are BEYOND amazing... the handling of the vehicles & weapons is impeccable - nothing sluggish, it's a pleasure to play so far.
I think you're spot on with it all depending on what you're looking for in a game. This game, like nearly ALL others, won't give everyone everything they want. Those who want something else that it doesn't deliver won't be happy - others will.
Another Spot on point: imagine what Rage 2 will be like! =D

What I hope in the future is that more focus is put into game/story content than gorgeous graphics. It seems that game quality suffers overall when more disk space is used for better graphics (maybe w/ the exception of Mass Element 2 - wow).
I much prefer more game content/deeper storylines & longer gameplay than gawking at beautiful graphics. (but then you get people complaining @ graphic quality lol).

One last note, some people complained about no auto-save. Who cares!? I prefer manual saving at key points when I'm playing - it saves me so much time that way. Dead Island was ALL auto-save and it was a total *PAIN*. So take 30 seconds out here & there to save - is that so difficult?!
How lazy can people get?

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 1:50:31 PM PST
Felix Olivas says:
So did you ever get around to Dark Souls? That was pretty much my addiction until Skyrim came out... I think I played 3 hours of the new Batman game thanks to Dark Souls.

I clicked this because atm RAGE is 29.99 on all platforms and I happen to have a 360, a Ps3, and a couple of PC gaming rigs and I'm curious which of these I should be getting it for. I dig being able to always have my games on Steam and there's the graphics there, but on the other hand I like my XBL achievies. Advice?

Akimbojoe on Steam, Daftfelix on both PSN and XBL btw.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 11:42:37 PM PST
Picked this up for $30 on Friday and did the unspeakable...I shelved Skyrim.../gasp
It is a surprisingly addictive game and you just want to keep opening the next door to blast some mutants or bandits. As stated the run and gun is awesome, as would be expected from ID, and the graphics, even on my ancient XBox 360, are eye-gasmic. I will go back to ES:V when I finish Rage since I figure there is probably only 20-25 hrs play left until I beat the main story and all the sides I want to do, but 'til then, pass me some mind control darts, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 9:03:50 AM PST
Nadine says:
Ya I bought Rage yesterday online - it was too fun a game not to buy. Didn't get to finish it due to renting.
I agree, the graphics are astounding.

I'm bummed that Skyrim's got the magic stuff in it, I don't play any of that but it sounds pretty amazing and huge.
I heard the 007 Reloaded is a 9.4, I may rent that & buy it later.

Rage sounds like a good game distraction for awhile. My only problem doing that is trying to get familiar with the control buttons again each game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:23:12 PM PDT
Pixiegirl19 says:
I know this thread is old, but I just had to post about RAGE.. I'm more then okay with the way the storyline is so far (5hrs in) There is so much more to this then borderlands (BLs from herein)that I stopped playing BLs after just a few hours. I'm looking forward to 20 more hrs of this game. I do see how the storyline arc is off, but it's not making the gameplay any less! I enjoyed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›