3.0 out of 5 stars ouch. truly disappointing., March 21, 2011
This review is from: Eve (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the 11th Eve Duncan book by talented author Iris Johansen. I had read 5 or 6 of the series but lost interest and hadn't read any for a while when I saw that "the mystery (of Eve's daughter Bonnie's abduction and murder) will finally be solved", so I decided to check it out.

Ouch. I feel like I got burned. Johansen's writing is still good (except when the protagonist -- who, we are often reminded, is tough and practical -- becomes rhapsodic about Bonnie), but the story has gone off the rails .... and the solution COMES AT THE END OF A TRILOGY (of which this is the first volume)! I thought this was a pretty tacky marketing ploy.

I thought reveals were clunky and we are obviously being set up for a shuffling of partners in the future.

SPOILER ALERT: Throughout the series Eve has communicated with her daughter through dreams and hallucinations and apparently, while I was not reading the series, it became clear that Bonnie is a bona fide ghost. Not only that, but she visits Joe Quinn, Eve's boyfriend, too. This reminds me of the deep disappointment I felt when The Stand turned into a post-apocalyptic religious war.

As usual, the characters are interesting, but not enough for me to read any more of the series.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2011 5:11:21 PM PDT
Lynne E. says:
Eleven books, and Eve is still looking for Bonnie? And why should we believe that the series will finish when this trilogy is complete? Thanks for an enlightening review.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 1:44:21 PM PDT
Trooper says:
I agree completely - I also read 3-4 of the Eve Duncan books and lost interest. What I did not at all like about this book was it felt "romance novel" instead of forensic mystery and I ended up flipping through pages to get to something interesting. In fact, I quit the book half way through it was so boring. I don't think Quinn and Bonnie will be on my list.

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 3:37:42 AM PST
L. Sebastian says:
Have lost interest myself. Must say though the Stand is one of my favorite books. It came across to me as highly believable, but I believe in good and evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2015 11:35:22 AM PST
audrey says:
I believe in good and evil too, but I think they are totally embodied in humans.

I've been thinking I should try reading The Stand again. It was a remarkable book.

Thanks for the comment.