4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT HARRYHAUSEN MOVIE DESERVES BETTER TRANSFER :-(, March 7, 2007
This review is from: Clash of the Titans (Snap Case) (DVD)
What a shame, this is Ray's last feature film and they give the man a kick in his pants with this transfer. This has some of Ray's best creations and it's ruined with a washed out grainy print. I could not bring myself to give it a lower rating. The film deserves 5 stars for Harryhausen's incredible work, but the DVD transfer keeps me from giving it a full thumbs up.

The print is very watchable and at a bargain price of $5.00 it should not be passed up, but the film and Harryhausen deserve much better! Thankfully they are releasing this film on BluRay and on a new DVD, so I will update my review when it has been released and I have a chance to compare them.....I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do this gifted genius justice!

****DVD/BLU RAY UPDATE****

Save your money as the new release of this film looks to be the same old transfer and the Blu Ray isn't worth the upgrade as it just brings out the wear and tear all the more. There are no new extras either. It's a shame because this film desrves to be completely restored and preserved for future generations and old school Harryhausen fans!

****END OF UPDATE****

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2012 3:39:21 PM PST
This really isn't a film that would have benefited from Blu Ray in the 1st place. It makes a difference for films like "Tron." (And other hi tech films.)

But NOT for comedies, romances, black + whites, drama, Shakespeare, horror, or most actions before 2002. Being perfectly honest, some of my DVDs of films in these categories aren't much different from my old VHS copies. But of course you can play the DVD on your computer, and you don't have to worry about it wearing out. So it does make sense to buy the DVD despite that.

However, in most cases, Blu Ray is just a way to trick people into buying the same films yet again. If it's not a hi tech action film, you may want to save your money and just get the DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 6:08:30 AM PST
I don't agree with you Bradley, I find many older films on Blu Ray that are non action films to look fantastic and because of that are more enjoyable to watch. Of course, if the special effects are going to show their limitations, then no, I can see your point. Maybe RH isn't the best choice for Blu Ray, but regardless this film and some others in his body of work deserve and need a full restoration as important films for future generations to enjoy and see at their fullest potenial.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 8:11:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 8:16:15 PM PDT
I have to say that my generation came to age as the electronic industry blew wide open and I could only remember formats changing so fast that you'd get into one and then another would come out and there you went to buy 'only the good movies' on the new format winding up to finally replacing them with the new format and then it would happen again and even though you said you weren't going to do it...there you'd go, buying the best and again replacing most of your library to the new format. I am a product of the electronic 80's which was wonderful to be part of because of its leaps and bounds, but dismal in ALL the money you wasted every few years buying the same things over again on the new format! And you'd say to yourself never again...and boom! another one. I LOVED this movie more than anything and I could remember getting my first VCR and of course buying some great movies and making copies of the rest...but you didn't care because you'd have to use the SP speed to get the best quality and compared to today's standards, that was not good, but it was back then. And don't forget about the bouncing back and forth between Beta & VHS.

Then for a blip of a few years there was the CED (for those of you who might remember) which was greater clarity but lost out to the fact you couldn't record on it (it was the video analog pressed on vinyl) and there I'd go, running to replace my favorite movies like this one. The drawback, since it was on vinyl, it could skip like a record...lol and believe me, it was funny to watch sometimes. That didn't last long before Laser came onto the scene and that was really good compared to all the rest! You couldn't record still, but the picture was superb for its time a whopping 480 lines of resolution...wow! So you'd say to yourself, now this is it and you run out buying all your favorites and more, and AGAIN replacing your library. And you didn't mind because films like this were worth it this time. And I would have to say that this stayed a while and you would look down on people who still bought movies like Clash on VHS.

You got a rest for a bit then bam, DVD comes along. The digital age had arrived to video almost a decade after digital audio. Now you had 720 lines of resolution and that blew Laser Discs away (which were lasers, but analog) and EVERYTHING looked better. So off you went thinking that this was it and it couldn't go further and didn't for quite some time and you never saw your 'Clash of the Titans' any better and it didn't for about a decade. Then along comes blu ray (which beat out HD) and gave you 1080 lines of resolution which truly amazed you more. But again that meant going back to replace your favorites, but at least you had a decade to recover from a tumultuous decade of change. Now the difference is NOT the technology holding us back from amazing videos, it was the transfer process that made or broke a good movie like this! Now we have an industry that can't go very much further than they have with clarity. Oh sure, they can always get a little better, but after that, the next best thing is to be there...lol. So now you have an industry that has to make its money in creative ways, the 80's and early 90's were gone. No more money coming in waves draining the people out of replacing their libraries once again because they are always in a down state unless something picks up the profits again. So here's where 'special editions' come into play...and 'extended versions', uncut, deluxe, ultimate...and on and on. THAT is how they are soaking up peoples money once again. the never ending stream of a new special something is coming out. I know I'm one of the many that have different versions and/or packaging of my favorite movies. You also now get the DVD through at you for a few bucks more than just blu ray. I also know that a lot of you have more than one version of your movie, I know I have about 3 different 'Avatar' disc sets!

After writing this whole thing, I had to lead you down to this point and it had to be shown graphically WHY we get short changed on a fantastic movie like "Clash of the Titans" and RH's other great works, not to mention the others. Oh, they are listening to you, don't think they aren't. But unless it can bring in enough profit to warrant the effort and time for a better 'version', they won't do it and you'll get substandard releases like this. It's a shame that we have an industry that doesn't care about quality...oh maybe for the 'special effects' but of quality of the work produced. They care about the dollar amounts and the sums of what any effort will take. You won't get a better release of Clash, or any other badly transferred movie UNTIL you can show them they can make a handsome profit...otherwise, I'm afraid we're all going to suffer from it.

That's my two cents worth. Does anyone out there still need a CED player...cheap!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 11:12:56 PM PST
I'm in awe of you Mr. Know It All! 1774 reviews has to be a record! I thought I'd done alot! I'm nothing compared to you. But I do agree with you and Bradley Headstone as you both make valid points. Not every film needs to be released onto Blue Ray, but every film should be released onto DVD. Unfortunately that is not the case as I can name a half dozen films such as Silent Night Deadly Night and Song of the South and It Happens Every Spring, for instance. All of these films are controversial to some degree (For Differing Reasons), yet they should all be released onto DVD. The reason I have not thrown out my VCR is because there is so much product out there that was never even released onto DVD.

A. Nathaniel Wallace, Jr.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 6:15:23 AM PST
DR SHOCK says:
Thanks for the kind words Nathaniel, I stopped reviewing almost a year ago, but I have come back to it again...maybe I can finally break that 2000 mark? ;-b
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (457 customer reviews)

$14.96 $10.88