2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, November 1, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fable III - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
**Warning: A couple spoilers**

I want to give one spoiler up front but I think it's important to know if you're still going to buy Fable 3. After you become king it makes you work through a 365 day year BUT it doesn't tell you that last chance you have to make decisions is on day 112. I had millions in gold at that time in my first play through and it was WASTED because I didn't know I wouldn't get another chance to transfer it into the kingdom treasury.. of course millions died because of it and I felt it ruined my game. You can't go back because it autosaves and if there's a way to have more than 1 save I haven't seen it yet.

I'll start with the only good thing I have to say about Fable 3. The interplay with Elise and our child was a nice little roleplay feature and the only reason I give even 2 stars. Elise and Abby I will remember and miss, for the rest I've already printed the trade-in label to send this dog to a new owner.

Now then, I found Fable 3 extremely disappointing. Everything talked about in all the prerelease hype was true... from a certain point of view.

Entertaining big name voices?

The only one I really paid attention to was John Cleese "Jarvis". Why? Because practically every time I "popped" into my hideout (and you do it for everything from clothing to weapons to quick travel) he was hawking DLC instead of helping me save this world I'm supposed to be so "immersed" in. He sounded more like a used car salesman than a butler, "Sir I believe there's a new outfit in the store", "Sir some new items seem to be available in the store." By the time I finished the game.. for the second time.. I was ready to kill Jarvis and John Cleese too.

Interesting combat choices?

If by interesting you mean the biggest decision was how long to hold down the B button to area effect fireball every enemy then I guess it was interesting. The second play through I didn't use magic at all and the decision became how many times should I roll like Sonic the Hedgehog before popping up to take a shot or swing at ever how many creatures my rolling was making dizzy.

The story?

Who cares? Politically correct claptrap! Save the lake, save the marsh, watch over the people because they can't watch over themselves. As some of the other reviews have stated the first time through I wasn't prepared for needing 10,000,000 GOLD to buy everyone out of trouble. So, when the swelfare people came calling they didn't care that I was saving them from impending doom and needed a little gold to do so. On the good side buying every property in the game on the second play through made me so rich that I bought everyone as well. They all loved me. After the endgame event I could just bump into anyone on the street and they would instantly give me guild seals and promote themselves to my friend whether I wanted another friend or not.

The biggest effect on saving the kingdom was making a few pies then buying all the property in the game and waiting for hours while the gold poured in. As in real life those with the gold make the rules.. in their favor.. and are still loved for it.

The moral choices?

Not all they're cracked up to be no matter what choice you make. First play through I saved the crowd not the girl, got nothing for it. The second I saved the girl not the crowd and she married someone else when I had to leave the castle. On the good side they do allow you to become a home wrecker and get her to leave the other man for you.. but my having 9,000,000 gold at that time somewhat painted her as a gold digger in my mind.

That being said she was the only time I married during the game in no small part because ALL the other "Girls of Albion" looked like they should be eating ALPO. We did have a child which was interesting but if you playing for the "mature" content there really is none. The screen goes black, you get some random bed squeaks, a few comments that you can hear in normal conversation too, and then the lights turn back on. I suppose in the consideration of "immersion" the girl is normally gone immediately after so I suppose not having to pay them to leave is a plus.

With the booze, the women, the stds, etc. I did pull off a reasonable simulation of Charlie Sheen so I guess it can simulate real life after all.

No menus? Sorry there are still menus.

You buy property and chose weapons and clothes through menus. You have to repair any houses you buy and rent out.. through menus. You can't see weapon stats other than.. through menus. I also had one bug that froze the game while relocating the family home. The result? I now have the old family home back and I've lost all control of the new one. I can't sell it, can't rent it out, can't repair it, nothing.

Living weapons? "Use your weapon and it will transform!"

B.S. There are specific miniquests attached to each weapon. If you don't do the specific mini-quests the weapon never changes. For example the "whack-a-mole" quests like kill 300 hollow men, kill 150 mercenaries, kill 40 nobles, etc etc. The hero weapons are the same except they don't tell you what the quests are nor what or if any features are added when the unlock occurs. The only time I saw a weapon transform was each time I opened a new melee "chest" on the "road to rule" with my experience poin.. wait Fable 3 got away from experience points to use something waaaay better.. guild seals.. which are the same thing. Also had a bug here where some weapons never opened their new powers after the mini quest was completed and then some.

P.S. speaking of the dog... watch him he's on drugs. He barks then walks in circles for 10-15 seconds before actually walking to the treasure/dig site. Especially funny at the lake as he dives into the water then shakes himself dry over and over.

P.P.S if you want to be good.. don't approve the drinking law. It's hard to be an angelic being walking through your towns when there are drunks staggering and throwing up all over your streets.. remember kids people can't be trusted to act like adults so it's politically incorrect to let people decide when to use alcohol without big brothers guidance.

One last spoiler.. wtf can't you kill Reaver? He was the only character I wanted to kill as much as Jarvis.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2010 7:41:11 AM PDT
This is the best review I've ever read!

I haven't played the game but I'm lmao over here reading this and found it informative too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2010 1:04:54 PM PDT
yes, even the pros in this game like big name voice actors is a con because some have them have glitched out and the only way i can get them back is to restart a new character. hard to do when you have logged prolly 20 hours in one already. i hate this game and i will never pre-order a lionhead game again

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 3:38:09 PM PDT
J. Herrion says:
Good inside report, crap, I was looking forward to Albion one more time.

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 7:37:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2010 7:42:53 AM PDT
Swilli says:
Best Fable Ever MAN! wtf is wrong with you!!!!! you are a mess LOL!!!! I loved it. If your not a funny, amusing, person do not buy this game.. sounds like you flew through this and didnt even do any side quests at all!!! You are not a very happy person are you??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 9:26:49 AM PDT
even the side quests are glitched out as he pointed out. its still a huge title so obviously its not a complete fail but its very dissapointing, you would expect it to atleast not lag out while rendering or have so many glitches you just turn the game off. thats all he is venting about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 10:03:14 AM PDT
Redeye says:
No, I'm quite happy. I own Fable 1 and 2, Black & White 1 and 2, and most other Peter Molyneux games. This is the first one I've found to be a step backwards and to have almost no redeeming qualities. To put that comment into perspective I'm not even holding the bugs against the game. It's purely the lack of content, story, and anything else that could provide entertainment value. I feel like a thief being able to get $32.25 trade in value back out of it.

The game doesn't make it to funny. It's got nothing to do with it being British humor since I love Benny Hill and a number of British comedies/movies. The attempts at humor came off as stupid, gross, inappropriate, mistimed, etc. and mostly consisted of the one fart emote which made people puke or wandering drunks puking in the street.

As to time, the designers said a straight run through should take 8hrs and about 20hrs to hit everything. I hit almost every major (non bugged) quest and did dozens of relationship fetch quests and weapon enhancement quests earning a little more than half the game achievement points. I didn't bother with the ever exciting find 50 gnomes, collect 30 flowers, open 50 chests, etc. crap. If those are what makes this game "fun" for you then more power to you and your lemming pals. Heck, I even took the time to try romancing one of the lesbians.. (report from the front) sorry guys they won't switch teams.

You did catch the part where I said I played through it twice right? I just didn't have your rose colored glasses on while playing. I dislike it and gave verifiable reasons. You provided, well, nothing that shows otherwise. Although you did use an all caps spelling of MAN so I guess that gives you the win. Now, I'm sad twice in one week.

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 9:33:33 AM PDT
T. Connery says:
Amen brother I wanted Reaver's blood !!! Why would I hire a guy that tried to kill me!!

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 7:26:51 AM PDT
I was so pissed when they didn't tell me it was last chance to transfer gold to the treasury, I felt it pretty much ruined my end game experience as well. Here I worked my butt off buying up every single peice of property and saving up gold and my entire Kingdom was wiped out anyway. Also, the game was buggy as hell. I've never seen a console game slow down to a slideshow before.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 8:02:23 PM PDT
ScottGunn says:
Right there with you Redeye, I am very confused while reading the glowing reviews of others about this game and I even transfered enough gold over to save everyone in the kingdom (dumb luck) before the 250 day year ended.

I looked forward to this game release above all others this year and wanted so bad to be able to enjoy it. After the bar set by the first two editions, this one failed quite totally. It was the obvious lack of time spent to make it entertaining and for God sakes at least fix the fatal bugs in the game. It seemed to me like a game thrown together using bits of the previous two just to be able to release another money maker. Some of the storyline was so unbelievable and just plain dumb that it literally made me upset playing it (letting Reaver live and offer you counsel but killing your blood-brother?) The never-ending line of outstretched hands while trying to save gold for the kingdom was so predictable and overused in games since the 80's that it took me several tries to make it through without just hitting the power button.

If these guys really and truly looked at this game in their "completed" stage and thought they had made a sequel worthy enough to follow Fable I & II then they need to go ahead and just hang up their mice, it was just a pathetic attempt.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 10:59:40 AM PST
J. Panozzo says:
Although I agree with you on some points, I feel you've misrepresented some aspects of the game and feel I should respond to them (for others who might read this).
On the combat choices, you can combine spells and unlock new ones for different interesting effects. It isn't just holding down B for fireball.

On the story, it isn't politically correct, you have the choice to help people or don't help them. You can drain a beautiful lake, have your city's sewage directed into a hippy villiage and break every promise you've ever made to someone. However, if you don't care about a story, you shouldn't be playing the game at all, much less judging other aspects.

On the moral choices, the only one you actually talked about is one at the beginning of the game, when it doesn't affect you anyway. There are numerous ones throughout the rest of the game.

Your comment on the sex scenes is interesting, as they're meant to be more humorous and lighthearted than romantic and intimate.

You say "there are still menus" like it's a bad thing. The main menu system is completely gone, but, for the tedious task of dealing with property, menu systems are essential.

On the living weapons, there's no minigames. Legendary weapons have to meet requirements to be upgraded, but the standard Hero weapons do indeed evolve as you use them. During two good playthroughs, the weapons evolved very differently, as I had millions of gold in one of them and hardly any in another.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (716 customer reviews)

$14.99 $9.67