5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collectors Edition! Even Better Game!, December 19, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Disney Epic Mickey Collector's Edition (Video Game)
About a year ago, I commented to my wife that I thought Mickey Mouse could be a great game icon to rival and even best Mario himself. Then, I did a Google search and, to my surprise, I found Disney and Warren Spector agreed and were already in the process of making an "Epic Mickey" game to not only rebrand the Mouse (a much needed move) but also to bring back Walt's first cartoon star, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. I have been impatiently waiting ever since.

Let me preface this review by saying I have never been a Disney enthusiast. Although, at 32 years old, I am becoming one. With that said, I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of this game the minute it became available. On the release date, I began reading reviews to see how the gaming world was responding to it. I was very disappointed to read some negative reviews. There was a lot of talk about the camera and some reviewers went so far as to claim it destroyed the playability of the game. Well, after playing through the game TWICE (and even looking forward to a third), I am happy to say they may have over-exaggerated a bit. Although the camera wasn't "perfect" it was very manageable and did not detract from the gameplay whatsoever. I quickly learned to use the directional button to look around whenever I chose to and soon it became a part of the gameplay with very little thought whatsoever. There were literally only a couple of times when I really even noticed it.

Graphics are top notch for a Wii Console game and Gameplay is very fun. The beginning of the game is a bit slow moving but it picks up steam in no time and you're off having a great deal of fun. I expect they did this so the player would have time to adjust to the controls and have time to explore and soak up wasteland a bit. This game will be too complicated for younger players (8 and younger) without the assistance of an adult. However, if a parent stands by and helps them through the difficult spots, it will truly be a rewarding and enjoyable experience for both.

The best part of this game is the story. It is truly amazing. I won't say much more than that but I will say I am now a huge fan of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and I look forward to seeing his future blossom at Disney. He is an amazing character who deserves as much respect as the Mouse and that is saying a lot. I was also very happy to see Mickey moving away from his squeaky clean persona, reverting back to the way Walt intended him to be in the first place. I would even say they could have even pushed him a little more toward the mischievous side. So Mickey may scowl, get over it! He's only human after all. :)

All in all, it is a wonderful first video game outing for the Mouse. I only hope that Disney will see past the negative reviews and see the AMAZING potential they have here. It is about time they start milking their prime cash cow. Another video game would be amazing and an Oswald title would be great in the future as well.

In closing...GET THIS GAME! You won't regret it. It may not be "perfect" but it is a magnificent attempt. For those who want to compare it to Mario... well, let's just say Mario has great gameplay bit completely fails in the story department. This game has both.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]