Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, lacking substance, January 28, 2012
This review is from: Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future (Paperback)
I have been aware (if not "following" ) of David Wolfe's work and message for about 13 years now, and still see him first and foremost as a
lawyer and a salesman- able to slickly manipulate information for personal benefit. As an educator, this book was actually
hard to read- let's just say I winced. I would recommend it to my students as an exercise in developing discernment.

Most of the chapters came off very similar to the labels and treatises uses to sell
products at the health food store- full of exotic anecdotes about "ancient civilizations", and "historical" use of certain roots
shoots and seeds- but without impressive substance to truly distinguish them as "superfoods", aside from their potential to
dazzle and sell. Let's not forget that the author has been heavily invested in personally selling some of these "foods' for
many years now.

Certainly there is some good information in this book- but I would recommend Rebecca Wood's "New Whole Foods Encycyclopedia"
for more comprehensive reading, detailed information, and lack of bias. I would also recommend the work of Susan Smith Jones
on this subject. What "superfoods" actually ARE , are nutrient/dense foods capable of delivering a high percentage of bioavailable
essential and trace nutrients for fewer calories. In this regard, spirulina, chlorella, nutritional yeast, coconut oil- all
potential "low profit' food products - are given a less featured showcase compared to "maca" and "cacao". Products that David
Wolfe sells are raved about (again, often without the substance I would want to see as an educator) - more common nutrient dense
products are on the B list or left out altogether- like eggs, of course, which don't jibe with the author's vegan philosophy- a
philosophy with a huge potential carbon footprint, often accessible mostly to elite populations comparatively- unless you can tell
me where in your backyard YOU pick your lentils, sesame seeds, and coconuts.

More disturbing- David Wolfe stretches the truth when referring to meat and dairy intake - here is an example, parapharased,
from one of his comments on the movie "Food Matters"- sentiments echoed in this book "Meat takes a "MASSIVE amount of energy
to digest". This simply is not true. Are we seeking "super" foods to replace the concentrated nutrients available in traditional
diets composed of natural dairy, eggs and meat? Has our terribly imbalanced food system in general taken us in this direction?
I suspect so. All in all- read with discernment- compare to other sources, and
ask yourself how the rest of your diet is and why you feel the need for exotic foods.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2012 12:41:40 PM PST
L. Bryant says:
You haven't traveled all around the world as he has nor have you seen the personal results as he has. He knows the studies and he has spoken with people who have made the changes he references in his book. You obviously don't know what you are talking about because most people know that meat does take a lot more energy to digest, to break down in the body. Red meat stays in the colon for 72 hrs. and starts to putrefy, this then leachs out into the blood stream and causes ill health. Vegetables on the other hand take only 2 hours to digest and sprouts less than that!

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 7:11:33 PM PST
Sarah says:
I'm sorry, but could you possibly be more wrong? The vegan diet is the most selfless diet on the planet. What are you talking about? Elitist, inaccessible?? No. I am not wealthy, and I am living on a very healthy, vegan diet. Fresh produce is on average cheaper than processed foods, dairy, eggs, and meat. Are you telling me 100% of what you eat is local? We eat local when we can, but I don't know anyone who can claim none of their food is from distant lands. If we can't grow it locally, then we have no choice but to buy it internationally. Many fair trade organizations can help stimulate economies in this way. Do you know how much energy goes into producing a pound of ground beef? Water, diesel, grain, etc.?

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 2:55:06 PM PST
M. Seavers says:
Just wanted to say I appreciate your thorough review and care you took in being objective. I think sometimes people key in on criticisms and take them personally without removing their own emotional investments. Having recently moved to a mostly plant-based diet, I can agree with your points about the challenge for mere mortals in finding some of these ingredients. If it weren't for Whole Foods (which I have to drive 20+ miles to get to), I wouldn't even have access to some of these ingredients (like nutritional yeast). Discernment is such a rare quality these days - thanks for the review.

Posted on May 12, 2012 7:28:36 PM PDT
I'm no fan of David Wolfe (I think he's a con artist), but I chuckled really hard when you claimed to be an "educator", and then proceeded to pimp the meat & dairy industry. The phrase "natural dairy" was especially amusing. Do you REALLY believe it's "natural" for humans to consume the mammary secretions of a cow? How educated can you possibly be if this is your idea of a healthy & natural diet?

Lady, you need to go back to the school that issued your diploma, and demand a refund. Everyone knows that cow's milk is for calves, NOT humans.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 11:11:14 AM PDT
Don't think that if you are a vegan you are eating healthy - not necessarily -Just read the statistics about pesticide content in fresh produce and cancer risk for the veggie lovers. We tried hard to grow our own organic vegetables. As a result we grew real organic produce: tiny microscopic peppers and tomatoes that our children used in their doll house. All the farm, Bio and Organic certified products do contain toxins and pesticides. And our "balanced diet" turns into balancing between pesticides from plants and hormones and antibiotics from the meats...

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 11:22:31 AM PDT
It is not more unnatural to drink milk than to eat genetically modified plants, sprayed with tons of toxins. Next time when you eat your veggies think how you are actually swallowing the next dose of pesticides.
And about Bio or Organic, they contain the same amount of toxins. There is nothing natural any more - even the nature...

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 4:26:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 2:04:02 PM PDT
"It is not more unnatural to drink milk than to eat genetically modified plants"

I don't eat GMO plants... but those DAIRY COWS sure do. ;) But even if I DID, yes, it is much more natural to eat GMO plants than to get down on all fours, push a hungry calf away from it's mother, and then nurse on said cow's teet. Oh, and your failure at gardening is irrelivent to the topic; don't project your own ineptitude on to others. Thanks.

"And about Bio or Organic, they contain the same amount of toxins"

Citation, please.

Posted on May 19, 2012 3:03:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 3:04:08 PM PDT
Kayjo says:
All I am hearing is a personality problem you have with him.. this is not a personality review....You come across as a really angry person who isn't credible.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 5:29:07 AM PDT
KarenBBH says:
I don't care one way or the other about who is eating more "naturally" and I personally try to stay away from milk and limit cheese and cream ( I shall never give up pizza or ice cream!!) I limit my consumption because I notice the affects of milk on the way my body feels ( mucus and stomach tissues) but i think that those of you who are trying to argue against dairy consumption based on how unnatural it seems are missing the point. Milk is made by every mammal so that it's offspring can get all the nutrients it needs, cows, goats, whales and humans all belong to the mammal family, so how is drinking cows milk unnatural? It may be unnecessary maybe even a bit unhealthy for some but it's not unnatural. Is it unnatural because our milk comes from cows? Does that gross you out? Soooo, I assume you steer clear of honey too? I mean have you ever watched a bee make honey? You wanna talk about gross! Basically milk is an unnecessary food for your typical, unstarved adult but it's not an unnatural food....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 10:00:46 AM PDT