5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Macbook Experience for Everything! (no joke), December 5, 2011
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro MD322LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
(Over three years of experience in IT with Mac Products)
-=[750GB Version]=-

I've been maintaining/repairing computers for ten years but the product that has made a huge impact on my life is the Mac. After working with Windows NT, 98, 2000, and XP. I'm glad that I was introduced to the Mac line when the White/Black Macbook was just coming out. Since then, once you go Mac, you can't go back.

Apple is a great company, many people think they've overrated and overcharge for their products. The main product you're paying premium for is their operating system and customer support. The operating system is what makes the Mac run so smoothly and safely. You can see the OS works very well with the right specifications, and worry free in regards to getting a virus. How often do you hear about a Mac user running into a virus issue, rarely.

I've worked with the old Macbook Pro 15" with the i7 Dual Core. This is a huge upgrade from that, it has a performance score twice as much as last years model. This is one of the latest processor in a laptop market today. This is an i7 Quad Processor, and of course I am happy that this is an Intel processor and not AMD. I upgraded to Corsair 8GB 1333mhz Ram. Together with the processor makes this a great buy for multitasking.

The screen is very reflective. When I use this outdoor it proves a problem to see and I end up squinting at times. But if you're majorly using the screen indoor (like I do), you will only see how beautiful this screen lights up. It's really instant on thanks to being LED and you can see how thin that screen is. The resolution on this Macbook is a big improvement over the last years model as well, thanks to the 1GB graphic card.

Now you're probably wondering, why I mention this Macbook is for everything. Three simple reasons, it has the graphics card (1GB) that can make it do the most intensive graphic program, we've reached the time when programs are being made for both Windows and Mac, and lastly it can have Windows 7 installed as well.

The graphics has amazed me. I've played Starcraft 2, Day of Defeat Source, Team Fortress 2, and Grand Theft Auto IV on high settings. I even can play Battlefield 3 as well while on Medium setting and the quality is beautiful (installed on Windows). The graphics card plays an additional role in the speed of the computer. You can have a great processor and a large amount of ram. But when it comes to watching HD videos, video editing, or playing games, the graphic card has to be good a well. 1GB I guarantee you will have plenty and is just on par with a desktop gaming computer. Most games that are graphic intensive recommends 1GB, looks like this Macbook is prepared!

Many people say, "Mac's are not made for gaming". You can definitely prove them wrong now, you have a 1GB card and that saying is old now. There are many games out available for Mac and they work stunningly great on it. I am surprise myself that Battlefield 3 ran so great! You can get AutoCad, Photoshop, and so much more. But if there's a certain window product you need to install, well here's my third reason.

You now can feel like you paid for TWO laptops and operating systems, thanks to Boot Camp.

You can install Windows 7 on this laptop thanks to boot camp. Just hold down the ALT key upon boot up after you install it and choose either Mac or Windows to use. Apple has a built in program that walks you through it just like turning on a computer. It's so simple. you'll have Windows 7 on this laptop in an hour, thats how long it took me. Thanks to having Windows installed, I can install any program I want. This has a 750GB hard drive so there is a large amount of space for both OS. This Macbook is now definitely made for everything.

Sorry to say but the battery life is not the rated seven hours unless you plan to only do word documents, light internet surfing, and brightness all the way down. If you play games, browse the web heavily, socialize, webcam, and brightness all the way up, you'd get most likely 3-4 hours only. This is ok for me because I can adjust accordingly of how much power I need. If I'm in class, I'll be having my brightness level down and the battery can last long just fine. As for gaming, I'll make sure to be at a desk and with my power adapter handy. Battery life doesn't affect me whatsoever, and comparing Mac to other 15.4 inch laptops, the Mac has a great power management built in the OS that makes sure it uses next to no battery usage while on standby.

Overall for the price, you're not paying for just the cool factor of Apple, but for the customer support as well. If you have a problem with the Mac, there's a Genius Bar in the Apple Store there with experts to help you out. Within the first year after purchasing it's free help. Even after the one year they will not mind taking a look to see what the problem is. But with warranty, whatever problems occur they will help you step by step and take the right actions to make sure you leave the Apple Store satisfied in solving your problem.

I do not work for Apple, but if I did I'm sure I'd enjoy sharing my experience with why Mac is far more superior at Windows. I used Windows for years but a Mac is so much easier to use in comparison, I've converted many of my family/friends into using it, and they now feel the same way I do about what their next laptop should always be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2011 8:58:52 PM PST
Thank you for the great review. I'm going to order this computer very soon! Thanks to the student discount from Apple I've decided on the 7200rpm 750gb with the Matte screen. I am making the switch from a trusty Windows based machine and look forward to the transition. First things I'll be considering is upgrading to the Corsair 8gb and duel booting Windows for gaming. Your review is like minded and truly expresses the potential of the latest Macbook Pro. The laptop seems future proof. Mid to late next year I do expect Apple to adopt Ivy Bridge processors and attempt to slim the MBP, probably resulting in similar CPU and GPU performance.
I find it seriously cool how easy these computers are to upgrade. RAM, SSD, & HDD super drive replacements make this the laptop to purchase and take care of for many years to come. Enjoy your Mac.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 3:56:21 PM PST
B.L says:
Not trying to start any arguments, but I got a latop with the same specs as this one for $900. (But a 1920x1080p display, and a 6770m graphics card), I "hackintoshed" it and it runs just like my roomates mac. Only difference is, his has an apple logo on the front.

I remember reading reviews of products I wanted ( obviously ) so if anyone is reading this wishing they could afford a MBP, you could also try hackintoshing a windows laptop if you are confident enough that you have the knowledge of computers to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 3:00:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 27, 2011 3:09:11 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 7:00:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2012 7:07:52 PM PST
Jake says:
Brandon a lot of people make this argument about Macs and its fine, but many people love the entire design and experience of owning a Mac and that is why they sell well and customers are so satisfied. I used to be a windows only guy and turned my nose up at Apple, for 30 years, but after getting my wife an iMac I was hooked on how gorgeous the machines are, and easy to use and reliable. The attention to detail and quality in the construction of the notebooks is stunning. Unmatched if you ask me. Yes the HD and the RAM and the other basics are not special but its the way the whole thing is engineered together that I love. I love that there are no stickers or flashing lights, no bloatware, and the multi-touch pad is just brilliant - and you can't get it on some other notebook. I have a Macbook pro for myself now and I love the simplicity of it, the clean design, the great keyboard and monitor, the chasis carved out of a solid block of aluminum, the glass touchpad, the magnetic power connector that saves you from damage if someone trips on the cord, etc. Apple thinks through so many little things - its damned impressive. Its not just OSX that I care about, and a lot of other people feel the same. There is a LOT more different than just the apple logo on the lid.

Understood its not for you, no prob. You want the lowest price you can get for the components snapped together in a generic box. I can respect that, for some its a simple fact of what you can afford and basic needs. But its not what I care about. For many of us we love the entire package and experience of owning a true Mac. Its an intersection of engineering and beautiful design, art meets technology. That is how a lot of people feel anyway. :-)

BTW, I don't have any problem with the position that you are taking, and actually a lot of people will agree with you. I like that you were nice about how you said it. We can talk about stuff like this without getting upset, and its okay to have different views. Actually the world is a better place for the variety. And it would be an even better place if people could express their views and things they are passionate about without it getting nasty. Happy New Year to you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 9:45:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012 9:52:36 PM PST
saptarshi says:
I don't agree with Brandon's statement - it's a pretty common statement we find here and there on different forums, and am compelled to post a reply why I don't find it convincing.

Well, if you consider the time you had to put in to download and install the hack, add to it the inconvenience of going through the process again when a future OS version comes out, figuring out hardware compatibility then the cost starts adding up.
So basically, it is a trade off between the premium you have to pay and how you value the time you have to spend hacking. And coming to think about the term "hacking" - it is not as cool as it sounds. It's not real hacking, just following a few steps someone else has already figured and put up on a website.

Don't get me wrong folks, I know a friend go down this path a while back and installed the so called hack and figured out his sound card is not supported. So he spends a bunch of cash for the hardware, waits through the patch being downloaded, runs a few crack softwares and finally don't get any sound! Fast forward a few months, the OS gets an update. All of us with real macs get their auto-updates but he cannot because guess what, hacked OSes don't get auto-updated. Things might have changed and the above issues might have been solved already but I am sure there will be always new hurdles you have to keep solving all the time before getting to do any real work.

Just sharing so that readers get to see both sides of the coin before making their own decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 8:37:31 PM PST
Book buyer says:
Get serious. Hackintoshing is a hassle and needs constant fiddling and you still have cheap junk unsupported hardware. Troll elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 4:30:34 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 3, 2012 4:20:32 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 2:06:14 AM PST
In regards to the 8GB RAM update, is this something that can be done easily, or is it best to have a professional do this. I am looking at the huge cost difference in buying the upgrade($40+) versus pre-installed(an extra $250) on apple's site, as only their site offer's the 8MB version, I can't find it on http://amazon.com. Thanks for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 4:56:43 AM PST
Jake says:
Hi Jennifer -

Upgrading the RAM on a macbook is extremely easy. Its designed for the user to be able to update it, and there are instructions that come with the macbook to show you how. You just take off the back cover (remove a few small screws), the RAM is right there, you pop out the old RAM modules and put in the new ones, and you are done. Just have to be careful handling them and make sure they are securely seated when you put the new ones in. Just keep in mind Apple by default will populate both memory slots, so you will have to take out the old RAM and install two 4GB sticks probably.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 5:44:02 PM PST
Thank you so much! I noticed you said you used the Corsair 8mb ram to update your macbook. Would I then get 2 4mb ram to upgrade instead?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (137 customer reviews)

$2,199.00 $2,099.00