5.0 out of 5 stars Blows LCD away, April 13, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50G25 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (2010 Model) (Electronics)
This pannasonic G25 is amazing. Clear, Crisp Picture. Colors are amazing, unlike an LCD. You never would know the difference unless you saw a plasma. Unfortunatly plasmas got a bad rap years ago and people shy away from them. This model (as do others including samsung) have built in image retention elimination devices. Follow the break in for the first 100 hours and you have nothing to worry about. The sound levels arent bad, you probably have a surround system anyways so it dont matter. This picture gets better and better as it breaks in. All store demos are pretty crappy and usually the plasmas are off to the side. If stores used a good setup and dialed in the sets its unbelievable how many they would sell, but most people drift to the big bright LCD or LED. This tv is bright and colors are unmatched. Hockey games and fast paced sports are crap on lcd, but on plasma when the hockey players stop, you can see every sliver of ice fly through the air. Plasmas are less money and better picture the an lcd, why buy an lcd? I looked at the samsung, however they have a realllly bad rep for buzzing. Get it, dial in your settings and you too will be blown away.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2010 4:40:39 PM PDT
Brett V says:
I couldn't have said it better! After having this set for a few weeks...I had no idea of what I was missing on my Sony SXRD RP set.

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 11:26:44 AM PDT
Plasmas got a bad rap because of their 'burn in' issues. They also use 10x the energy of a CRT set, whereas LCD TVs use 5x. Plasmas did do true black better than LCDs but now manufactures like Samsung as using LED technology on their LCD sets to create contrast ratios of 5,000,000 to 1. But clearly the future is LED sets. Study up.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2010 9:21:39 PM PDT
T. Cramer says:
- Energy usage for plasma's has dropped dramatically in the past few years. Yes it is higher than LCD's, but is it really that big of deal?
- Plasma blacks are uniform. Only the highest end local dimming LED's have uniform blacks, for 3x's the cost of a comparable plasma. Even on those you will see some blooming.
-You can take 'contrast ratios' with a grain of salt. Every manufacturer 'measures' them differently, and essentially it is a worthless spec.
-The future is not LED backlit LCDs but rather OLED technology. Essentially once OLED is available at a reasonable price, both LCD's and Plasmas will go the way of the CRT mighty fast. It will take a few years, but I too believe LED panels will surpass or at least match the best plasmas, but not long after that time the OLED tech will be relevant. That's what perfect blacks and perfect color will do!
-Find me a LED set that can match the color/grayscale/gamma accuracy and deep, true, uniform black levels of the better plasmas and I'll come around. Find me one even close to the price of that plasma and I'll convert.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2010 8:32:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2010 8:33:12 PM PDT
Nitro Bandit says:
well said Cramer

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2010 8:34:00 PM PDT
Nitro Bandit says:
your info is about 10 years old Bedard..study up.

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 7:45:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2010 7:47:28 AM PDT
C. MacTavish says:
Zing, Cramer! ;)

I was actually all set to drop $1800 on a 47" LED set (LG 47LE8500), when I saw this 50" plasma in the store. Even though I'd said I was thinking LED, a significantly more expensive item, the sales guy steered me toward the plasmas instead when he heard the sort of use it would get. The difference in picture quality was jaw-dropping, and the price was SO much more attractive. I ended up purchasing it on Amazon, since for the sale price of the set + tax, I was able to get the set + 3-year warranty.

OLED may be the next big thing (once all the buzz over 3D dies down and/or the technology improves, anyway, and once I'm not paying what, $300+ per diagonal inch?), with LED-LCD as a bridge. But for the best picture quality and most space for your dollar, plasma still seems to be where it's at for the moment. Maybe in a few years I'll switch to something more energy-efficient, as the LED technology improves and comes down in price. But for now, I couldn't be happier; I had resigned myself to merely "settling" for the fact that an LED would have flashlighting and blooming. Not anymore!

Wish these companies would STOP with the proprietary wireless dongles, though. Sets in this quality and price range should really have incorporated wireless.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2010 4:43:10 PM PDT
T. Cramer says:
I came from a similar situation. My wife's grandparents needed a new TV and I was told by someone who thinks he is a 'tech guru' to get a LED set no matter what. So I picked up the Samsung UN46C6400 from Costco for $1,250, brought it to my place and calibrated it best I could. Sure, sitting perfectly straight on the picture was ok, but move even a foot off center and the color starts too fade. I tried it for a few days and said enough is enough.

I returned to Costco, which was a big reason I got it there in the first place. I originally had my eye on the G20/G25 series from the start so I knew it was time get it. Turns out all the stores near me were sold out, and I wanted to get it there instead of on Amazon in case it needed to be returned. Came home, looked online, and using my Chase Freedom CC and discounts I found online, I got it for $947 at Sears (plus $94 cash back points on my CC for monthly promotions and for ordering online). Picked it up the next morning, brought it home and ran my break slides for several days to evenly age the panel. I calibrated it and wallah, almost perfect color and excellent blacks. The color is on par with my Pioneer Kuro with only the blacks lagging behind a bit. The blacks are still excellent and better than any non-local dimming LED LCD.

In short, you get a lot more for your buck with plasmas these days than any LED LCD. Until the companies figure out that LED's have tons of potential IF they would just utilize local dimming tech, plasmas will be superior. This obsession with trying to get them as thin as possible comes at the severe cost of picture quality and is not worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2010 5:34:23 PM PDT
C. MacTavish says:
My eye was initially on the LG 47LE5400, since it was around $1000 and thus in my initial price range. But without the local dimming technology, which can still only do so much, it just wasn't going to give the performance I wanted. And the 8500 was so much more expensive, and guaranteed to only improve on the problems, not make them go away entirely. One of the main draws of the 8500 was the THX-certified display, which this plasma also has. But this one also has the glossy screen for color depth and richness, combined with that anti-glare layer to give it some of the benefits of the matte LCD/LED-LCD screens. In the end, I paid $1,154 for the set and warranty; I probably could have gotten away with less, but I figure I'll make up for it by waiting for a good deal on a Blu-ray player and sound system.

It's great to hear that you've gotten results that are on par with the Kuro sets! I'd considered purchasing one of those, but the price point was too high and the resolution lower than what I wanted, though a friend has one and it's definitely a nice piece of equipment if you don't plan on doing a bunch of gaming via computer. If I can get anywhere close to the black quality on those sets, I'll be happy. Did the Panasonic come with break-in slides, or do you have a particular set you favor? I've never actually owned a set where I've had to break in the display (though I am well familiar with breaking and burning headphones, and have my own sound sets for those) -- my last television was a ten-year-old, 13" tube. Needless to say, ANYTHING would have been an improvement, but I figured why not go all the way. I would have gone for the 54", but there's no way it would have fit where I need it to go.

Hopefully Amazon's return process will be painless if it's necessary, but I don't anticipate needing to return the set unless there's a major issue. Mine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, and I'm already ecstatic -- electronics showrooms never take the time to calibrate color properly and it always looks either overly bright or too red/green to me, and for this screen to have looked that good without lots of attention, I can only imagine how beautiful it will be once everything is tweaked properly. Do you have any recommended settings?

I wholeheartedly agree. I've seen some lovely LEDs, but the technology just isn't there yet, and even the local dimming sets have their issues (on top of being more expensive than anything widely available save for 3D LED). Some day, they'll be worth it. That day is not today. I was honestly caught up in the LED wave, until I actually examined well over 50 sets and realized that they just couldn't compare for quality and price, even if I dropped $3000 for one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2010 5:53:46 PM PDT
T. Cramer says:
The break-in procedure really isn't necessary unless you want to. You can find info on this, and anything else for that matter at:

I've already turned the set over to the grandparents so I don't recall the exact settings, but they were fairly close to the recommended ones in the avs forum. Hope you find it interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2011 11:37:45 AM PST
The break-in period in my experience, is critical. I had image retention problems with my Panasonic that have since faded now that the TV has broken in.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›