Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to love?, July 7, 2013
This review is from: ASUS ROG G750JX 17-Inch Gaming Laptop [OLD VERSION] (Personal Computers)
Let me start out by stating that, this is my first true gaming laptop purchase. I was never much into PC games since I said goodbye to my teenage years and "Duke Nukem". Since then I have been faithful to my gaming consoles and never looked back... untill now.

The Asus G750JX is a powerful machine and one that fits me right. I recently installed " BioShock Infinite" and I must say, this game runs flawlessly on Ultra settings. This is only my first game played on this machine so only time will tell if it holds up to every other games I throw at it.

I was on the fence in purchasing this laptop due to its pricing, considering that, the competition (MSI GT Series, Clevo/Sager, Toshiba Qosmio, etc) offer configurations at the same price range but with a higher/premium GPU (780m). The reason I went with the Asus G750JX is first, due to the design, and second, the amazing "DUAL" fans. The built quality of this product is excellent. It looks great and feels less bulky than other competing offerings. Other manufactures offer extremly ugly looking and bulky laptops. My second point in favor for choosing the G750 is its dual fan cooling system.

One of my fears was having a powerful GPU with a single fan solution for cooling. I say this because the hotter your machine gets over a certain threshold, the more likely it is to malfunction or die on you early. This laptop keeps me comfortable in knowing that heat will never be a problem and my investment will last me for the long run. The NVIDIA 770m GPU is plenty fast and thanks to the dual fans, I have yet to feel any signs of overheating hiccups.

I am glad to say that the OS is installed in the SSD drive. I personally took out the standard mechanical hard-drive and installed a second 256GB SSD that I had purchased last year on Amazon. Although this setup is giving me less data space to work with (512gb vs1,256gb), it did wonders to my battery life. I am getting roughly 4.5 to 5 hours of battery life now when doing light tasks, such as surfing web and editing documents.

Sound quality is great, crystal clear and loud, although not very loudest I have experienced. Screen has excellent viewing angles and is anti-reflective. Keyboard is excellent. It does not fell cramped and provides good key feedback. Also the metal casing around it makes it even better (aesthetically).

Overall this is an amazing laptop that was worth the buy. The only con I can list is the lack of a " Bluray" player. At this price range a DVD player just doesn't cut it, especially when this laptop is meant for gaming and entertainment.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2013 10:26:20 PM PDT
Hi can you please tell me if the jx version has 3D display.
And how is it different than the jw version.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 11:37:28 PM PDT
C. Hernandez says:
As far as I know it does not have a 3D display. I personally wish it did, but Asus seems to be leaving the best Specs for the JH model which isn't even out yet. The main difference is in the graphics card, from 765m to 770m. The 770m is just one step below the 780m which is NVIDIA's premium graphics card. If your not a heavy gamer I believe the G750jw should be powerful enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 11:47:44 PM PDT
I already have the jw version with me from about a week now . I want my games to be flawless due to which I am thinking of buying the jx version and returning this. The only thing that is stopping me from buying jx is that , for extra 600$ I will only get a new graphics card and nothing else. This just does not make any sense. It should have a few more things.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2013 3:12:14 AM PDT
C. Hernandez says:
I understand your frustration. I was in the same boat as you. The price difference is ridiculous for the little bit of extra your getting. I would of wished the JX were to be $200-$300 less but it isn't. Good luck on your choice. I honestly bought it because of the 770m card and its ability to play games on ultra settings (so far). Playing BioShock infinite and it runs smoothly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2013 10:25:13 AM PDT
you do know the price just went down. If you just bought the laptop I'd talk to amazon!

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 4:22:29 PM PDT
davidnicol22 says:
What type of 256 SSD did you install?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 4:52:38 AM PDT
C. Hernandez says:
The Samsung 830 series SSD.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 11:29:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2013 11:30:14 AM PDT
K4m1L says:
If you go to XoticPC you can buy the earlier versions in 3D but I think the JX 3D is still to come, Asus usually releases them later like they did with VW 3D coming out together with the VX.....

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 9:40:25 PM PDT
Fruitbraker says:
Could you verify this is actually 5.5 lbs? I looked at the technical details and saw it's 5.5 lbs. I compared to other models, like this one: ASUS ROG G750JW 17-Inch Gaming Laptop [OLD VERSION] and saw it is about 11 lbs. Is that item weight true? Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2013 5:55:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2013 6:02:09 PM PST
Nighthawk 96 says:
I got a G750JX from XoticPC with 3D. It is not a matte screen so there is some glare. I looked at the matte screen at Best Buy and thought it was not vibrant enough color so I ordered it with the 3D screen. This is not listed as a option as of this date. I also got the Samsung 840 pro SSD and the Intel 7260 wifi card, also a BlueRay player. I am very happy with this computer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›