5.0 out of 5 stars Get out your notebooks, sharpen your pencils...and learn., September 18, 2000
This review is from: On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft (Audio CD)
Though far from the definitive writer's guideline, this book shines a unique perspective on the craft. Stephen King lays down the law and then teaches it. He shares his techniques, his pet peeves, and his own personal horrific experiences - both as child and adult - and he does it all within the cerebral classroom of the printed page. He wraps a juicy filling of personal tragedy, growth and experience within a tight covering of his famous story telling style.
As a human, I was touched by his childhood anecdotes and often laughed with him about his insecurities. I am still in awe at what he has recently had to overcome physically. I mean, damn.
As a writer, I am grateful for a brief glimpse into his vocational world. I gained confidence from learning about things I have been doing right and have changed many bad habits (may the adverb rest in peace). I've read several tomes on the subject and believe his reigns as the most complete.
I've been a fan of King's since the seventh grade when I was given The Dead Zone and Cujo as an Easter present. A year later I had read every book he'd published (with the exception of the dreaded Limited Editions of which I could opine negatively for hours - suffice it to say that writing should be for everyone to read, not just the rich). I've read or listened to all his books since. I can honestly say, that this is my favorite.
Sometimes the coldest hands to wrap around your neck are the true ones.
The only bad thing I can say about this book is that it's too short, something one rarely has the opportunity to state regarding the beloved author.
A huge thank you to Mr. King for a brief indulgence into the life of a genius.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 27, 2009 7:47:55 AM PST
J. Apsey says:
Great review! Very well written and informative without telling what the whole book is about! I don't like knowing eveything beforehand. I think I will give this book a try.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 12:41:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2010 12:41:51 PM PST
Disciple says:
I read your review, ConstantConsumer, and it confirmed what I already suspected: That I had to get this book! I bought it Saturday night (as a treat for myself during National Novel Writing Month) and started reading it as soon as I got home. I'm so glad I got the 10th Anniversary Edition. Love reading about his life, how he got into writing, how he got out of drugs and alcohol and into living, and I'm not going to say any more because there's too much to say, and whoever is reading this should stop and get the book and read that instead! And then read it again! Thanks for your review, CC. And thanks to Steve King for writing On Writing! :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (2,053 customer reviews)
 (1,567)