1.0 out of 5 stars My first-ever LG electronic device - and probably my last..., May 12, 2013
This review is from: LG Electronics BP530 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (2013 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this unit about a month ago, and set it up the day I received it. Having used it for nearly a month, now, I have plenty of thoughts on this product, and would highly recommend you read this review before you consider purchasing it. I would also highly recommend that the folks at LG read this review so they can improve future products and still keep the better features that this item does possess.

As I mentioned, above, this was the first LG device I have owned. I nearly bought an LG washer and dryer last year, but ended up going with a Samsung. I also was once considering purchasing an LG HDTV. Again, I ended up going with a Samsung. I received this particular unit as a free product to review for amazon. Thank goodness I did not purchase this product, outright. I would have been far more disappointed in it. For now, though, I will list it's positive attributes, and I'll highlight the negatives, later.

1. Easy to set-up. It probably took less than five minutes to take the unit out of the box, attach it to the TV (via HD cable, which IS NOT included - as is the case with most electronics), load the [included] battery into the remote, and fire it up.

2. Ergonomic remote control. This remote control is definitely the most ergonomic remote control I have ever owned. It is neither too big nor too small, and is designed in such a way as to make it very easy to hold. The remote has a concave section on its underside that sits right about where your index finger is located. Not only does this make it easy to hold onto, but the convex surface on the top side is situated right where your thumb rests, and is covered with the most important buttons - the Stop, Play, Rewind, Fast Forward, etc. You can pick up this remote in an extremely dark room and have no problem figuring out which end is which or where the key buttons are at. In a competitive world of great electronic choices, little touches like this make a big difference.

3. Easy internet connectivity. Just to make it clear, this device isn't "Wi-Fi Ready" or "Wi-Fi Capable," it's fully Wi-Fi connected. The last Blu-Ray player I purchased was deceptive in its connectivity language. Sure, you could connect it to the internet via Wi-Fi, but only if you purchased a specific USB plug from the manufacturer that costs $40. Considering the Blu-Ray player, itself, cost me $50, learning that it was going to cost me another $40 to connect it to my computer really ticked me off. This unit from LG make connectivity a snap. After setting up the password and downloading a software update (which took about 10 minutes), it was ready to play movie via VuDu or Netflix.

4. Premium movie streaming channels at the ready. This unit comes with free trials of all of the premium video streaming services. Being a user of Netflix, it was easy to log on and begin streaming children's movies for my kids. And, seeing as how nearly every Blu-Ray movie sold at Wal-Mart these days comes with a digital download copy accessible through VuDu, it was a wise decision to include that service, as well. Consumers appreciate little things like this.

5. Clean, neat device. The actual player is of standard size, but looks very nice and neat without any superfluous details. I like simplified devices, and this device is pretty simple to use.

6. 3-D Playback. Because I do not own a 3-D TV, I did not have the opportunity to try out this feature. Honest, I am not completely sold on 3-D viewing, so I don't know if I will EVER own a 3-D TV, but at least the feature is there if it is something that appeals to you.

7. A built-in hard drive for downloading apps. This is a really new thing for devices like Blu-ray players. At launch, there were about three dozen apps that were available for download and use on the player. These ranged from educational to musical to entertainment to gaming to photo-viewing. I downloaded a few of them (like the Red Bull extreme sports channel) to try them out. It was OK. It's definitely a new an evolving feature, so I don't expect to be blown away - especially at the start of the venture. I'm sure this design and added entertainment feature will improve over time. Who knows what this will encompass even a year from now? For now, it's a bit of a gimmick, and not incredibly appealing, but I have a feeling that this technological feature will be more appealing in a few more years.

And now, the negatives. They are few but significant.

1. No resume playback feature. I was absolutely STUNNED to find that this player did not have the capability to recall the last place I had stopped watching a movie and resume playback from that spot! I thought this was a universal feature on EVERY player! Haven't digital video players had this capability for years? To not have this as a standard, automatic feature is really unforgiveable.

2. Freeze-ups during video playback. The absolute worst thing about this player is the frequent freeze-ups while playing DVDs. Though I did not have this problem while watching Blu-Rays, the player would quite frequently freeze while playing DVDs. In fact, after the first two weeks of use, it would freeze nearly every time we put a DVD in to play. To make matters worse, the freeze-ups were total. No amount of button pressing on the remote or on the actual unit would do a anything to alleviate the problem. Any time the unit would freeze up, we would have to unplug it from the power strip to get it functioning again. Who wants a player that freezes up 90% of the time you try to watch something? Answer? No one. We have unplugged the player from our main viewing TV in the family room and put our old Blu-Ray player back in its place. This LG unit has been relegated to the kids' room, upstairs, where it can at least be used to stream children's videos through Wi-Fi and play Blu-Ray videos. We have found that these features are the only reliable and useful functions of this player. Because 90% of our video library is on DVD and we will be unable to use this player to view those movies, we were very, very disappointed.

If, like our family, yours watches most videos on DVD, you'll want to strike this player from your list of viable purchases. This player has some innovative features that I can appreciate and can hopefully be transferred forward into newer models. However, because it lacks one essential feature and is seriously defective when it comes to playing DVDs, I cannot recommend it to any consumer looking to play anything besides Blu-Rays.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2013 2:47:07 PM PDT
dgatwood says:
Given that lots of other people are saying that their player works correctly, you should probably contact Amazon or LG and get the unit replaced. It sounds like you got a dud.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 4:40:50 PM PDT
R. Johnson says:
Did you dig down into the settings to see if there was a toggle for resuming playback? Sometimes this may not be the default setting.

Also, you stated it has a hard drive. Are you sure? Seemingly it would only need memory card to store those apps.

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 11:26:33 PM PDT
Just bought this model from Fry's electronics - no problems playing back DVD's or Blu-ray. Very fast loading and 4 levels of FFWD and reverse. Resumes playing if you go to home menu during playback - will not remember stopping point if you eject the disc and reload. Didn't miss the lack of resume play upon stopping and ejecting due to speed of loading and getting back to resume point through scene selection.

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 7:19:03 AM PDT
Terry Todd says:
My LG BP200 model ( $69.00 ) .. you can play a regular DVD . .stop and eject and remove and turn off .. come back to the deck power up and insert and the player finds the last scene you were at .... crazy or what?

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 12:44:04 PM PDT
Mau says:
Did you ask a replacement? I would like to know if you tried another unit, before adding this negative review. Maybe it was a trouble just for the unit you ordered at the begining

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2013 3:03:44 PM PDT
i have the same problem. this model will not restart from where it left off. additionally it is not capable of streaming Amazon video, even though it suggests it may sometime in the future. that is just bad business.

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 11:30:09 AM PDT
pookie says:

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 10:26:29 AM PST
flyhigabe says:
I purchased this product, after 2-3 weeks had to send back for another. Have had the other for 1 1/2 yrs and now occurring problems w/ this model again. It frequently freezes, stops, and buffers while streaming movies on netflix. Last LG wireless bluray player I'll buy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2013 5:52:42 PM PST
nycvideogeek says:
Hi flyhigabe, How do you know the buffering problem is the LG unit and not your internet speed or router?
Have you tried playing Netflix movies from any other devices in your home without any buffering issues? How is Netflix on your PC?
And if it's ok on your PC connect the LG the same way, cause sometimes it's people's wifi that is causing the slow bottleneck.
Good Luck.

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 5:59:22 PM PST
nycvideogeek says:
Another trick if you want to resume playing and just eject and not go to home menu first like someone else suggested is to create a bookmark!
Most bluray players especially ones with flash storage allow the creation of bookmarks and favorite parts in movies to be saved. So create a bookmark before exiting the movie if you know you'll want to continue watching it at a future time, simple.

And as far as 90% of DVD's causing the unit to freeze up but blurays playing fine, that sounds like a mechanical issue with the red (dvd) reading laser, the bluray discs use a different laser to read the data of the discs. So you should have the unit exchanged for one without this problem. Or possibly try a laser cleaning dvd, maybe a spec of dirt is on the laser?
You can't think that all the units act this way, it's impossible they'd release a design like that.
Good luck getting it replaced or repaired under warranty.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›