Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade from the 200AW!!, April 2, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro Slingshot 202 DSLR Sling Camera Bag (Electronics)
I just purchased the Lowepro 200AW SlingShot about a month ago (the predecessor to the 202AW). I liked the bag and had no problem with it at all. But when I saw that the 202AW was coming, I took a look at that bag. The 202AW increases the storage space in the top section and for the pocket on the front, adds a zipper storage compartment on the outside of the top flap and one on the inside too, the interior has been redesigned slightly, the memory card storage pockets have been changed a bit on the inside of the main compartment flap, and the bag now includes a tripod holder. At first I didn't think I would like a SlingShot bag. I didn't like the look of it really and was going to get a normal square case. But since I could return the SlingShot if I didn't like it, I gave it a shot. I'll never go to a square bag ever again. I feel that the SlingShot has more chances of going "mobile" with me than a square bag. If I bring a square bag, I think it really stands out as saying "I have a camera in here!" But with the SlingShot, it kind of blends in and looks like a regular backpack.

The 202AW is much deeper on top and has thicker storage in that front pocket. Nice additions. The inside of the top section has an elastic strap on the "floor" that you can use to hold a hard drive (as seen in their product pictures) but I use it to hold a pocket cheat sheet for my Nikon SB-600 and any other paperwork I carry (photo tips, reminders, etc.). When you open the top section flap, they added a zipper compartment to the inside part of the flap as well as a zipper compartment on the outside of that flap. The inside compartment is about 4" wide by 4" deep. The outside compartment has a 4" vertical zipper...storage is about 3" in (left to right) and 4" high (top to bottom).

The camera storage area has been redesigned. If you turn the bag to the side and open the entire top section, the built-in microfiber cloth was sewn into the bottom area of the 200AW so when you put your camera in (while wearing the SlingShot), it was a natural way for the cloth to be pulled over the back of the camera. The 202AW moves the microfiber cloth to the left and you pull it right to cover the camera. I didn't really care for this. But since they redesigned the memory pockets, I actually don't use the cloth anymore. The memory card pockets were entirely too big on the 200AW (maybe they fit compact flash cards better but I use SDHC) and were nylon so closing the flap on the camera without that microfiber cloth over bothered me. The new pockets are made out of microfiber material and are much more unobtrusive so I don't use the cloth anymore. There is a mesh pocket to tuck it away. My Nikon D90 has a plexi cover on the back LCD so if that does end up getting scratched over time, it's only a $10 part to replace. I've had my D90 for about 2 months now, snapped over 5000 shots and it still looks brand new so I'm not worried about it.

The tripod holder is awesome and that was the main reason for upgrading to the 202AW. Everything else is just a bonus. I have Gorillapod tripod that I have on the bag. When you're wearing the SlingShot and turn the back to access the camera, the tripod is on the bottom. There is a foot pocket for the bottom of the tripod and it seems like it was made for the Gorillapod. The feet fit perfectly. If you're not going to carry a tripod on the bag, the foot pocket tucks up inside so you don't see it. There is an easily adjustable plastic clasp enclosure on the top to secure the top end of the tripod.

The 202AW can sit up on its own. The 200AW didn't do that so when I set this bag down, I don't have to worry about the bag falling over and getting dirty. Just the bottom is exposed. The bag is made of a durable nylon and although I've had some dust on it here and there, a few pats with my hand and the dust is gone. There is the same all weather cover tucked in the bottom as the 200AW but I am not going to pull that out until I actually need it (I'm sure it's folded nice and neat in there right now).

Finally, the shoulder strap is very comfortable to have on. I don't mind carrying this bag at all even with a D90, Sony HD video camera, 3 lenses, tripod, SB-600, lens filters, etc. The weight is distributed very nicely and when you have the bag adjusted correctly, it sits on the back nicely. If you're just going to throw the bag on your back like a one-shoulder backpack, it fits on the left shoulder the best because of the curve in the strap. There is a small area on the front of the strap where you can tuck a few fingers to hold onto the bag if you want. When wearing it like the SlingShot, there is a counterbalance strap that you can connect. It goes across the other part of your chest and helps to stabilize the back even more.

In summary, Lowepro made an AWESOME bag in upgrading from the 200AW. If I had any complaint at all, it would be with the placement of the microfiber cloth. I just don't like pulling the cloth from the left but that's probably just me. It's still a 5 star product. Build quality is great and because you can get so versatile with this bag, I think it's definitely worth $89.95. You get what you pay for an in this case, you get a VERY nice camera bag.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2010 8:17:26 AM PDT
Stroodle88 says:
Hi there,

Thanks for your review - I had a question about the main strap. You mentioned that the strap was very comfortable - was it any different from the Slingshot 200's strap? Thanks,

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2010 8:39:07 AM PDT
JJS says:
Sorry I missed that part for you. The strap is the same as the 200AW which was just as comfortable. It is meant to cross over your body from the right shoulder to the left hip. I don't have any fatigue wearing this at all. Where the bag meets your left hip, there is a softly cushioned pad that adds a little stability to the bag and protects against it rubbing the body the wrong way. Hanging off of the bag near the right hip is what I call a "stablization" connector. If you want to get the most secure fit of the bag, you can snap this connector into the mid-point of the strap (right near the middle of one's chest) and it provides extra support for the bag. However, in order to swing the bag around and access the camera, you'd have to unhook this connector but that only takes a quick second. If you don't plan on using the "stablization" connector, there is an elastic loop already on the bag so you can fold this connector strap over on itself a few times and use the elastic loop to keep it tidy. I'll be heading out on vacation next week with this bag so that will be the REAL test for it. I'm packing a Nikon D90, 18-200mm lens, 35mm prime lens, 11-16mm wide angle lens, SB-600 speedlight, Sony HD video camera, extra video camera batter and wall charger, various filters, Epson P-3000, and Black Rapid R-5 strap. Yes, this ALL fits in the 202AW. The total weight is about 13 pounds which will be fine for air travel (by the way, this bag qualifies as a carry-on because of its dimensions). While on vacation, I'll either be shooting either all stills with my D90 or just video with the HD camera so I'll only take what I need while I'm there.

I have no regrets on buying this camera bag. I think it's a great product for the price and even if you don't like it, Amazon returns are SOOOOO easy that it won't hurt to at least give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2010 1:04:23 PM PDT
Stroodle88 says:
Thanks for the reply! I've actually carried the Slingshot 100 for awhile but the teeth on the zipper started coming off after 5ish years of use - I was going to send it in to have the zippers replaced but my puppies got to it before I could send it out... I also upgraded my camera since I bought that bag (original Rebel --> 5d mkII). I also felt the strap was comfortable, but I didn't know if in the 202, the strap material was made differently or stiffer/etc. Thanks for the clarification!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 3:33:02 AM PDT
JJS says:
That makes me feel VERY good that your SlingShot 100 lasted 5 years. I think that's a decent lifecycle for a well-used camera bag. And it now allows you to upgrade to a better model anyway. LOL! Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 7:29:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011 7:30:20 AM PDT
Michelleta says:
Hi, I'm looking for a camera bag that has enough room for an HD video camera and you mentioned that you are able to also fit your Sony HD camera. Which compartment do you keep the video camera? Can you post a picture? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 5:35:02 PM PDT
JJS says:
I'm not sure how to post a picture to this review so I'll try to describe it with some detail for you. First though, my equipment includes a Nikon D7000 DSLR and a Sony HDR-SR11 HD videocam. My DSLR always goes in the main camera slot and I have a Nikon 17-55 2.8 lens on it. I also have the Nikon 70-200 2.8 lens but it's too long for the 202AW bag (I had to get the 302AW just to carry that lens. It's a much bigger bag than the 202AW but works awesome when I need to have the 70-200 lens on me. If I don't need it, I revert to my 202AW).

Think of the position of the bag as being sideways so that you're looking at the side of the bag where you'll unzip the main compartment. The DSLR goes in the main slot and you would be looking at the back of the DSLR. I put a velcro divider at the end of the lens so that it sits snug in the bag (it gets very snug when I zip the main flap to enclose everything). To the left and right of the center slot, I divide each of those compartments into two sections. To the left of the main DSLR slot would be considered near the top of the bag and I put my SR11 videocam in the first compartment near the DSLR body. My thinking is that if I set the bag down on the ground, I don't want my DSLR or videocam to take any banging from the ground. This leaves 3 compartments for me to include a speedflash, lenses, chargers, etc.

I used the 202AW for a vacation I took in 2010 and it worked beautifully. At the time, I had a Nikon D90 with battery grip and 2 batteries, Nikon 18-200mm lens, Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens, Sony HDR-SR11 videocam, spare videocam battery, home chargers for the Nikon and Sony, and Sony lens filter kit all in the main compartment. In the top compartment, I had spare AA batteries for the speedflash, Giottos rocket blaster and a Black Rapid strap. In all it weighed about 13 pounds and yes, I did feel that weight carrying it through the airport. However, my main purpose was to keep my camera gear on ME and make sure that it got to my destination safely. Once I was there, I would only carry the equipment I needed for my shoot.

I have no regrets with this 202AW and my 302AW bags. Both have held up well and I even got to use the weatherproof cover a few weeks ago. It popped right out of the bottom and secured the entire bag. Drying the cover off and putting it back into the bottom of the bag was a snap too.

I hope this helps!!