1,024 of 1,054 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars How To Feel Like You're Slipping, January 22, 2008
This review is from: How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better (Hardcover)
You know 40 is the new 30 when Diane Keaton, Annie Hall herself, is photographed wearing skin tight jeans and a big black leather belt. So the rest of us better be on alert.

That said, I have very mixed feelings about this book. I've read at least a dozen beauty/style books, I'm 38 and I'm no slouch in the maintenance department. I subscribe to More magazine, which is how I learned about the author. After buying this book, I've learned a little more about Mrs. Krupp: namely, she spending thousands and thousands of dollars on her appearance. For example, she's spent $1,200 on a pair of eyeglasses. She considers you "low maintenance" if you do not get Botox. Gee, thanks. I can see how this might make a reader doubt her hard won self esteem.

While she does hit the mark about what potentially looks aging, it's a one size fits all approach. She says dark hair always adds on the years, so lighten your hair two shades. What if we're Asian or simply don't want to be blonde? (Note the author's hair shade.) Some of her suggestions are downright odd: don't wear ballet flats. And contradicted: don't wear Uggs. Okay, so what are her models wearing on the back page? Uggs. And annoying: the goal is to be "Y&H" (Young and Hip). Individuality, anyone?...anyone? Plus, most of the models are barely 21 and perfect. Not helpful.

But I did get some good tips: don't wear red fingernail polish, don't let your skirts get too long or baggy, how to shop for the right pair of dark wash jeans, try bangs and highlights, plastic eyeglass frames are more youthful than wire, etc.

So give this book a try but also give yourself a break.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2008 12:53:27 PM PST
F. Murillo says:
Don't wear red fingernail polish? Now I'm going to have to buy the book to find out why she said that! I'm 43 and wear red nail and toe polish all the time. Looks great, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 4:12:35 PM PST
Keep rockin the red finger nail polish!

Posted on Jan 24, 2008 1:04:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2008 1:10:55 PM PST
A. C. Berger says:
Diane Keaton was on David Letterman's show the other night and she was wearing dark red nail polish on very short nails. She looked fantastic. I am 53 and wear short nails and red or dark red polish at all times and I am frequently complimented on how flattering it is. I also wear red lipstick, but I do sheer it out a bit with gloss. It brightens up my face more than anything else in my arsenal. Everyone can wear red and look great, providing it is the right red applied in the right way.

The bottom line is to take some of this advice with a grain of salt -- one size does not fit all. Use it as a guide, but trust yourself more.

Posted on Jan 24, 2008 1:13:19 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2008 1:18:55 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 24, 2008 1:22:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2008 1:41:29 PM PST
H. Caruso says:
I was in a bookstore and found this book, so I sat down and speed-read right through it and it's for L.A. women who are in their 50's and trying to be hip to find men, while competing with the 20 and 30 year olds in L.A. If you are 50 and trying to look hip, you look ridiculous. Maybe it works in L.A., where everyone looks ridiculous, but bleach blonde, botoxed, in designer dark blue hip hugging, boot cut jeans and heels just makes you look like you are trying really hard to be younger and THAT is so not cool. : ). I'm not saying that you have to wear mommy jeans with a LLBean cotton turtle neck tucked in and those ridiculous crocs on your feet, but there is another way. Classic and Cool and this woman is neither.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 12:43:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2008 12:44:23 PM PST
K. McElhanon says:
I would love to find a good book on classic and cool at 40. Maybe I'll have to write it. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 5:13:37 PM PST
TheConsumer says:
Read the New York Times piece. For those of us who've been in the magazine world, it was quite something. I've waited 20 years for an interesting article about Charla. Believe me, it was worth the wait.

Posted on Jan 31, 2008 12:20:01 AM PST
Polestar says:
Diane Hall is actually in her early 60's!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 9:35:26 PM PST
Are there any books out there for the over 40's who would like to look classic and cool and not tragic?
I'm clueless and a really good book just might help, anyone....... please..........?

Posted on Feb 5, 2008 2:37:44 PM PST
Reader says:
What an enjoyable review! Many thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›