3.0 out of 5 stars Expectations set too high, December 21, 2010
This review is from: While the Savage Sleeps (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't heard of Andrew Kaufman or his book until he followed me on twitter a couple of weeks ago. I looked at his twitter account, read the reviews here, and figured it was probably worth $2.99 to see what all the buzz was about. It's rare to see a book with over two dozen reviews and 5 stars overall.

If the book hadn't been built up so much by the reviews here, I suspect I would have been happier with it. It's a good book -- an interesting resolution to a murder mystery in formerly calm Faith, New Mexico. But from reading the reviews here, I would have thought this was The Best Book Ever! Not so. While Kaufman writes well (I enjoyed both the characters and the plot), I kept finding little nitpicky grammar errors or odd dialogue or just a strange sentence that I'd read three or four times, think, "Hm," and go on. But those things pulled me out of the story regularly enough that I found myself not enjoying it as much as I wanted to.

I'd like to see more from Mr. Kaufman. There are certainly some original thought processes at work here, and that's to be applauded. I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could (minus 1 star for all the times I was pulled out of the story, minus a half star for my blown expectations).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2011 6:09:41 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
Sorry, but it would seem that you set your expectations too high, no one else did.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 6:40:42 PM PST
Lisa Reid says:
I read reviews to choose books. Generally when a book is reviewed this highly, I enjoy it immensely. In this case, I felt it could have used another edit. That's all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:04:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 12:05:19 PM PDT
L. Reid,

This is your opinion of this book and the author. Do not apologize. Your comments are what I go by in choosing books. Also, T. Anderson might be a personal friend of the author, a fan, or just giving her own opinion. Whatever!

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 10:16:33 PM PDT
Dana Feral says:
This book was entertaining and then it crashed in the end. Very disappointing for me.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 12:55:21 AM PDT
Bookworm3437 says:
It started off as a "Mystery Thriller" and ended as "Ghost Whisperer meets Mills and Boon"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 8:12:48 AM PDT
RAROWLAND says:
Yes, I agree with you. I was thinking of writing my own review, because I thought the book had all the "stuff" of a Stephen King book (that's a compliment to Mr. Kaufman)--but the ending for me as well was too maudlin. I'll leave it at that.

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 4:35:57 PM PST
Kelly Howard says:
I often find myself getting trashed when I downgrade a book because of grammar/editing problems or basic writing flaws...seems like most people (a) don't have the wherewithal to pick up on errors, & (b) are intimidated by folks who actually expect authors & editors to produce a professional-caliber product.
It seems to me to be about as if we're supposed to gush about a movie because it has an okay plot & some exciting elements, yet the whole movie is drastically out of focus & the sound quality stinks.
I just put up a review blasting a free book that a number of other folks just gushed themselves senseless over...I expect to get some choice comments myself. I support your right to dislike or even criticize a book!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (335 customer reviews)

Out of stock