Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeper Hit, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Fishing Resort - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I was cautious of Fishing Resort, when a game is a new release and has a discounted price that is usually a red flag. But I ignored my "spidey-sense" and bought it (had to buy it with the rod, only one store in town had it and they only had one). I quickly discovered that I was wrong, Fishing Resort is a great game.

The beauty is in the simplicity: You're on vacation to Panagkapan Island (a tropical location that oddly has areas each with their own drastically different climate) and you're there to fish. The fish you catch earn you points (the currency on the island) and you use the points to buy new tackle and gear, as well as cloths for the character you create (you can't use you Mii, unfortunately). For those who want more substance, there are missions given by the other island-goers, daily activities to participate in (going trolling out in the ocean, catching specific fish for people, and competitions), as well as online leaderboards and new fish that are added via wi-fi (essentially, free dlc).

What I really enjoy is the cohesiveness: you wake up in your hotel room and make your way out to the beach. Don't want to walk? Purchase a bike for the day and go cycling. You never are required to accept missions or participate in extra activities (although it'll earn you more money), you can simply fish and enjoy the ambience. Too many fishing games I've tried are arcadey and break the immersion. This game embraces the quiet serenity of fishing.

As far as negatives go, the day night cycle is great but you're forced to go back to your hotel room when it gets too late (although eventually there is a way to stay out very late). The multiplayer is odd - when you're fishing you can add wii remotes and there will be another person fishing alongside you, whoever hooks first the camera zooms in on them as they reel in the fish. The fishing rod accessory works well...but I prefer playing without it. The motion controls really do work well (this game is actually motion-plus compatible, something not marked on the box) but casting my line doesn't always read.

It really is a fantastic game, and I know it will be overlooked. Obviously the publishers fealt the same way because the $20-$30 price is clearly not because of a lack of quality on the developers part. It's simply a great game with a great price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2011 3:35:28 AM PST
Silvercube says:
Check out The Kore Gang, it was also recently released, $20, another sleeper hit :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 7:48:21 PM PST
Losermagnet says:
Thanks for the recommendation! This is the first I've heard of The Kore Gang, and watching the trailer it looks really impressive.

I find it funny that there are good games on the Wii that just don't get any coverage. I'll admit the system has huge shortcomings, but there are some great games that just get no love and it's sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 11:01:16 PM PST
Yeah!

Are you familiar with XSEED's ganes? (They were behind Fishing Resort).

One of the best games I ever played was from XSEED on Wii, Fragile Dreams.

Another sleeper hit.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 6:28:14 PM PST
Agreed with The Kore Gang and Fragile Dreams.

Some other unknown, inexpensive Wii games:

Ivy the Kiwi
Little King's Story
Lost in Shadow
Muramasa
A Boy and His Blob
Mushroom Men

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 8:06:03 PM PST
Silvercube says:
I've played all of those except for Muramasa! I'll look into that one!

Lost in Shadow and Little King's Story are great games!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 9:47:59 AM PST
Losermagnet says:
I think I'll be picking up Fragile Dreams for Xmas, that one definately looks appealing to me. Oh, and I LOVE Muramasa. It's like a 2D hack-n-slash game, but the art style makes it so much more than just that.

I thought Little King's Story and A Boy and His Blob were both wonderful. I haven't tried the other games yet though!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 8:49:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2011 8:52:28 PM PST
Silvercube says:
I'm glad the Wii's still coming out with great games. Next one on my radar is Xenoblade Chronicles, which comes out in April.

Yeah the art style for Muramasa reminded me of Okami. Another sleeper game on the Wii. I should be getting Muramasa by the end of the month :)

P.S. Let me know if you do get Fragile Dreams, curious on what your thoughts will be!

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 12:05:38 PM PST
Ya'll should try Ivy the Kiwi. It's easily one of my favorite Wii games. It's also made by the same studio that made Fishing Resort. The premise is simple, but it's a lot like Canvas Curse for DS. And it's cute as all heck. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 12:46:30 PM PST
Silvercube says:
I've played Ivy the Kiwi, on DS and Wii! Took me a little while to get used to the controls though.

The graphics were unique. Canvas Curse was really good too :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 3:10:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2011 3:10:48 PM PST
Losermagnet says:
I'm excited about Xenoblade too. Here's hoping that they announce The Last Story and Pandora's Tower as well.

I'll definately let you know about Fragile Dreams though.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›