Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vacuum, not sure if it really sanitizes, February 12, 2012
This review is from: Verilux Cleanwave Sanitizing Bagless Vacuum (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have a cream point Himalayan cat, and are expecting a German shepherd puppy this week. We shed enough of our own hair as well, plus track in dirt and dust like anyone else, so our house was a great place to put this vacuum to the test. This is the first high-end vacuum I've had, and it's been a great help around the house. It looks and feels like a vacuum of the future. It's a pleasure to use, but it does have a couple of problems.

The Verilux brand is new to me even though the style isn't. I used my mother's vacuum with a separate canister for years before moving out on my own. One of the biggest advantages of this style is that the main vacuum head is so lightweight and small. It's so lightweight, in fact, that I wondered about suction power. That hasn't been a problem at all, and it picks up just as much dirt as a regular model. The small, thin head goes places an upright simply can't. This head goes all the way back, completely level with the floor, so it will fit under a lot of furniture. It goes from carpet to hard flooring and back with no problem at all. All the attachments work beautifully and were easy to use. You do have to turn the head and canister on separately.

The power cord is very short at about 20 feet long. Our rooms are not that big, and I have to move the plug for every room. If you have large rooms/a larger home, you'll either have to get an extension cord or get used to moving the plug around a lot. I don't understand why the cord is so short, or why there is no on board storage for the attachments. There will come a point where the attachments are lost or simply forgotten. When I want to do corners and hard to reach areas, I have to go to the closet. I feel that these are minor inconveniences considering the vacuum's overall performance, but some may have less patience for this sort of thing.

The vacuum clogged on the fourth or fifth use over a 1500 square foot home. It turns out this thing does NOT like rubber bands. The most irritating part of it was that the sound barely changed to let me know that it was clogged-- the only way I could tell was there was no debris swirling around in the canister, and it was still picking up cat hair. I can see this thing overheating if you're not paying attention. When taken apart, it was difficult to tell where the problem was. We eventually used the plastic piece from a Drano Snake Plus kit to dig a very stubborn hairball entangled in a rubber band. It was in the area where the hose attaches to the canister. I've uploaded a photo so you can get an idea of what we were dealing with.

There is a plastic cone filter in the canister that you must remove to clean. It's simple when you figure out that you just squeeze it a little and turn it counterclockwise to remove it. The problem is that the manual doesn't explain that-- or else doesn't make it clear. I spent quite a bit of time frustrated as I squeezed and pulled without turning. The HEPA-12 exhaust filter on the back of the canister must sit at an angle, not flat, to close the lid. This is also not explained anywhere and it took some maneuvering to get it right. Once you get removal and replacement correct, it's very easy to get the filters out to clean and change them.

My biggest question was, does it really kill bugs, bacteria and germs? I suppose there's no way for me to know for sure without a microscope. The attachments do not have a UV light on them, so the only way to kill anything with this is with the vacuum head (or I suppose you could try whacking it with the wand, LOL). I don't recommend handling the head roughly, because the light is one of those new bulbs that needs special handling if you break it. It would be difficult enough to clean up a broken bulb on a hard floor; I don't know how you would get it out of carpet. That is one part I don't like it. I vacuum every day, and I haven't noticed a change in odors, good or bad. The instructions say you have to use the light to kill germs and so on, but it doesn't say how long to expose surfaces to the sanitizing light to get the effect.

The bottom line is that I have floors that look clean, but I really don't know if I've killed or sanitized anything. It picks up enough dirt and is so lightweight that it's an overall five star vacuum, and I would heartily recommend it. My only caveat is that I cannot confirm or deny that it does *everything* the manufacturer claims.

UPDATE 05/19/2012 I have to update this vacuum and reduce the rating to three stars. Either I have exceptionally dirty floors, or this thing is prone to hair/dust clogs. Did I say prone to clogs? I meant the hose clogs every single time I use it, sometimes before I even get halfway through the house. My husband has developed a method of swirling the hose around his head to get the hairballs out, kind of like Wonder Woman uses her magic lasso. The hairballs get stuck in the middle of the hose every time, in a place that is difficult if not impossible to reach with any sort of probe. When it's clear, I love this lightweight vacuum, but it clogs way too much for me to keep a five star rating on it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]