Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars RIP 6th gen ipod nano: Apple, hope you are listening!, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8 GB Silver (6th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
This was the best ipod for working out, walking to work/school, air travel, the beach... everything: It is so small and weightless like the shuffle but had 16gb of storage, allowed you to make/edit playlists on the fly, AND had a clip. For me, that was the difference between buying a replacement for my 1G ipod touch (it lasted only 3 years). I loved that there was no need to purchase a huge armband for it (been there, done that). In fact, I just used a nike bicep band, which is way cooler, cheaper, and convenient.

Sadly, my 6G nano has just taken a turn for the worse: The sleep/wake button lost all function. It still works fine, play-wise, screen-wise, but can only be turned on from a docking station. Once it is removed and the screen goes dark, I can't control anything except for the volume from the buttons on top (which also still function fine). So while I can still use it, it is conditional use. Its basically broken Shuffle, but with 8 times the amount of music that will circulate until the battery dies. If the headphones come out of the jack, game over.

I am a little upset that I can't replace it. I did really love it, but the lifespan of an ipod used to be a lot longer. I got my nano sometime early 2011. So, it worked for... 2 years? That's not a very long product life. I read a few places online where the problem mine experienced is quite common with this model (something under the button slips out of place). I've read similar common complaints here and elsewhere about other defects (e.g., volume increase/decrease) which is unfortunate as Apple can and should do better. I do not know why they didn't keep this model and just improve the quality.

So, not sure what the improvements of the new 7Gs are supposed to be. They are an awkward size and have a screen that's too small for enjoying videos. I don't understand why anyone would want to watch videos on a screen so small anyway, let alone, need to, with the proliferation of smart phones and other mobile digital media devices with video capabilities, I would expect that the market is fairly saturated there. In any event, if I could justify buying this again at the price under which it is currently listed, I would. For the physical specs and practical design, its fantastic. But the 16GB 7Gs are only $149, comparatively and I can barely justify buying another one (given that mine is still ok for the gym and I have an iPhone anyway).

Apple needs to bridge the gap between the less impressive 2GB Shuffle and the 16GB nano in both storage and in cost. For someone who likes to control music and have a variety, the Shuffle doesn't cut it, but someone who doesn't care about watching a video on their mp3 player and would just like a no-frills device for active lifestyles, the new 7G nanos are too much. It makes me wonder if they even do market research.

Apple: Do better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2013 2:40:41 PM PDT
PhotoTripper says:
The exact thing happened to my I pod Nano as what happened to yours. The on off butten dosent work at all, only the volum buttens work. So the only way I can get it to turn on is by connecting it to a USB or dock station. When I go to the gym I connect my Ipod to my car raido via usb when I drive so its on. So I have to quickly plug in earphones and have it playing something or else it will shut off when I disconnect it from the raido. I have to have it playing the whole time im at the gym and I cant change any music. If my earphones get disconnect it turns off. I duno if I want to replace my broken one and get same one,another Nano. I read online that the Apple company has discontuined stoped making the ipod Nano. Maybe because they where having to many problems with it.I wish their was no problems with it because I like how small the size is which is perfect for going to the gym, but I also herd it dosent work good around when you sweat. I think I might just get a diffrent type of I pod player

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 10:02:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2013 9:22:04 PM PST
Update:
I've had my on/off button repaired and it is up and running. Works great! And I am so happy to have my nano back!!!!

The same thing has happened to my Nano, but I'm having it repaired because I love it so.

One solution I found to continue using it while not connected via USB is to set the timer. While my screen is active (via USB) I will set the timer from the clock setting to go off in 10 minutes or so. Disconnect from USB, listen to I-pod, timer goes off and screen lights up, I can change anything if I want to, reset timer, listen to I-pod, etc. A pain, I know, but at least I don't have to be attached to a USB while out and about.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 12:47:04 PM PDT
Happened to me to after 13 months. I use my shuffle now. Not as convenient but I like have a small MP3 for workouts. I won't buy another IPod if I can avoid it.

Posted on May 1, 2014 7:26:59 PM PDT
Same exact thing happened to me. I looked up the problem on the internet, and evidently the shim attached inside power button of the nano is held on by what is essentially a piece of double stick tape. After some use, the shim moves and you can no longer depress the button. Frustrating to spend $150 every two years on an MP3 player that's put together with tape. I have had a lot of Apple products over the years and 1) they don't seem as well-made as they used to be, and 2) Apple doesn't stand behind its products. Disappointing to say the least.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2015 9:52:57 AM PDT
D. Hamler says:
This happened to me twice! It happened on my first Ipod Nano 6g so I bought another on Ebay. A few months later the same thing happened. The sleep/wake button stopped working. Grrrr. I called the Apple store in my area, their response was that I would have to purchase a service plan for $29 just to have someone troubleshoot it. No telling how much they woudl charge to actually fix it, but I read in other forums that it is around $70. $99 total to fix a known, documented defect! I was seriously considering purchasing the iWatch, but this whole debacle has made me change my mind. I had been using the Nano as a watch and it was nice, but spending $350 on a device from a company that does not stand behind their products would be foolish.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2016 5:52:22 AM PST
DLKwisco says:
Mine does the same thing and I love it as much as you love yours. Where did you have it fixed and how much was it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2016 5:54:58 PM PDT
I had mine repaired at a place called iQue and they charged me about $30.00. Well worth it as I really love this little thing! I've actually had it repaired twice now and I've had it since before 2010. From what the service guy said it is a pretty simple fix. Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›