Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars Knock-off battery not compatible with Sony NEX-5N camera, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Sony NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion 1020mAh Rechargeable Battery (Electronics)
I purchased this battery as a backup battery for my Sony NEX-5N camera. It came in legitimate packaging and is labeled a Sony NP-FW50 battery. However, once I put it in my camera the screen displayed an error message saying that the battery was not compatible with my camera. After further inspection and comparison of this battery with my original battery I now see many differences on the color and sticker design on the front and back of the battery. They say that they are the same model but clearly this item is a knock off and does not work with my camera. I guess I should have known by the very discounted price but then again I expected it to be as advertised. Very disappointed. I didn't want to give this product any stars since it's totally useless to me but I had to enter 1 star to post.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2012 9:58:34 PM PDT
Yes, I have had this same experience with batteries that are labelled as genuine Sony. Apparenly counterfeit. It also happens with non-Sony batteries. It's not worth it to buy anything but verifiably real Sony batteries, and test them right away as soon as received.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 6:49:09 PM PDT
Rich-L says:
If purchased from Amazon and it does not work, return it. I find it hard to believe that Amazon would risk its reputation by selling non-genuine Sony batteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 9:02:03 PM PDT
Yes, but I foolishly bought the battery for a Nex-3C that did not arrive until 3 months later - way past the return deadline. And BTW, dont even dream of using a non-Sony off-brand replacement battery. Sony (Nikon too) have a way to recognize their own batteries built into the camera. All mfrs try to achieve this captive-customers deal.

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 2:01:44 PM PDT
Kaiser Soze says:
You can't be serious. You conclude that it is a counterfeit battery because it doesn't work with your camera? The same battery in the same packaging, with that little hologram security tag, is sold by several different camera sites including B&H, and all at the same price, which clearly indicates compliance with Sony pricing restrictions. There just isn't any way that this is not a legitimate Sony battery. You have gotten a defective one, or there might be a problem with your camera, or it is even possible that Sony screwed up and changed the design in a way that made the battery incompatible with the camera. But you just do not have any reason whatsoever to conclude that it is a knock-off. A skilled and knowledgeable expert in the employ of Sony and with access to their engineering specifications would probably be needed to reliably reach that conclusion. It looks like there was a bad batch of batteries at one point, around the beginning of 2012, over a year ago. Sometimes that happens. But a knockoff? You have no reason to reach that conclusion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2014 11:58:55 AM PST
Actually, it would be illegal to sell a knockoff as the real thing. It's called fraud. Of course, knockoff manufacturers are criminals times two: fraud and copyright violation as well. I'm not saying what's going on here is fraud; I'd be surprised if Amazon, even if they lacked integrity (which I doubt), would take that risk for the meagre profits at stake with this item. After all, you don't see them selling the other more common knockoffs such as purses and watches.

Sony batteries have a chip inside that keeps track of usage and supports an exchange of data with the camera. Its function is hard to duplicate, even for legitimate, third-party manufacturers, as I discovered the hard way. I've had decent luck with third-party chargers, but never with batteries of the "infoLithium" type. My experience has been with the Sony DSLRs and SLT batteries, which are also "infoLithium."

I've noticed on eBay some sellers offering what they call "NP-FW50" batteries for about $13. When asked, these guys say no, they're not OEM. I just bought two NP-FW50 batteries off eBay out of China for $16 each. The seller claimed they were OEM. Unfortunately, I don't yet have anything to test them with. After reading this review and blog, I'm thinking I may be out $32. If defective ones are out there, they could easily be dumped on the market through China. To date, though, I've had a lot of eBay transactions with Chinese sellers and never had a problem.

Bottom line: I've bought a lot of OEM infoLithium batteries on Amazon, and they've always been perfect. It would be a HUGE disappointment if the reviewer's problem should turn out to be a trend, regardless of whether or not fraud were involved.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›