3.0 out of 5 stars Almost Flawless - Unless you want Bluetooth, November 27, 2012
This review is from: ASUS VivoBook S400CA-DH51T 14-Inch Touch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
I'll keep this short, and just put what I consider relevant. My first computer had a cassette drive, and my first laptop wasn't much more advanced, so I've had a lot of experience with this type of technology.

My opinion of this product is that it's the finest built laptop I've ever handled, with one exception - the wi-fi. To be fair, it might be a Windows 8 thing, a driver thing, or a hardware thing, but the wi-fi goes out randomly every hour or two. Disabling the wireless and re-enabling brings it back.

Other than this, and again I don't know it's the laptops fault - this is perfect. If you like the feel of a Macbook, but not the price, this will make your day. Aluminum chassis, excellent touchscreen (which brings Windows 8 to life, without it, Windows 8 is garbage), the weight, and the thickness (under an inch) are matched only by the quality feel and operation of the product as a whole.

In short - this thing rocks, buy it.

UPDATE: I contacted Asus, and although I can't explain why, their fix worked. Uninstall the wireless adapter from device manager, restart, reinstall, and bam - I no longer randomly disconnect. 5/5 now

Update #2: Asus website, and support, insist this product is not sold without bluetooth. The amazon page does not list yes or no for bluetooth. Long and short - somehow the system I received from Amazon has no bluetooth. Asus support insists that's defective hardware, as they only sell it with the Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth. They (Asus) gave me an RMA number to ship it back, and they will send me one with Bluetooth correctly functioning. Big hassle - and for this I took off a star.

Update #3: So I got my Vivobook back, after only 6 days, which was impressive, with a note which read "This product does not come with Bluetooth"...

That after 2 techs told me (pre-rma) that it did, the specifications page on their website still says it has Integrated Bluetooth 4.0. Removing a star.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 9:11:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 9:11:29 PM PST
Alexis U says:
Your wifi issue should be a hardware problem. I use it all day and it works great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:46:51 PM PST
Ayman says:
Even I'm having this problem. Also, on my keyboard the S key is stiffer than other keys. Even that's a hardware problem right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:22:16 PM PST
Ayman says:
okay did u uninstall the Asus powergear hybrid software. If you did, that might be the reason for your wifi drops

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:42:49 AM PST
R. Reed says:
Glad they got the wifi issue for you fixed! Had ours for close to a month now and it's still going strong. My wife doesn't really put it down!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:28:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 12:35:37 PM PST
T. King says:
Really interesting about the Bluetooth. Let us know how the RMA goes. Microsoft and Asus both list this as having BT in the specs. I wonder what happened. I think they are either going to have to do a recall of some sort, or offer customers some sort of rebate. I'm pretty sure you can't advertise a specific bit of internal hardware then later say oops.

By the way, I was having major drops of wifi when I first got mine. I have one G and one N access point. The S400 would only stay connected to the G access point I keep around for a legacy music player.

Meanwhile the N access point had been working with no issue for four different laptops and three phones for years. So that made me think the ASUS was the problem.

I finally tried changing channels on the N wap/router -- the Asus connected right away and has been rock solid on N ever since.

It sounds like your issues are fixed, but for other folks with connectivity problems it may be worth trying to change channels too see if that helps wifi.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 6:19:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 6:21:42 AM PST
Just for peace of mind, on the site of another retailer, they do NOT show this as having bluetooth. Not sure if they figured out it doesn't have bluetooth, or was a mistake. Came here looking for reviews before I purchased it, and figured I'd chime in on the bluetooth.

The VivoBook X202E does show as having bluetooth though. That's the 11.6" model, with lesser specs than this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 8:41:57 AM PST
Pinfold says:
I checked a number of retailers, which all show it having BT. I called Asus, and they confirmed it has only been sold with BT, and no non-BT model exists. The RMA arrives at ASUS today, and they told me to expect to have it back in 10 days, with BT functioning properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 11:08:54 PM PST
Minos says:
Will it be a new one or will they update your computer?
I would be very wary of sending back a brand new PC to technicians which are known to scrap/dent laptop paints by not being very careful when they open it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:48:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:48:34 PM PST
Will says:
Pinfold...Please update us on your BT information! Thank you.

Posted on May 7, 2013 12:07:23 AM PDT
Deepak Malik says:
Hi does it have a backlit keyboard..thanks
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (305 customer reviews)

$742.99