4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
Good adition to the Lego series,
This review is from: Lego Batman - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game mixes puzzles and action. You can't go ahead just by bashing all the bricks and enemies, you must also solve puzzles which usually means using the unique abilities of each character in machines, levers and so on.
After you finish the level, you unlock the free play, when you can go back with a ensemble of characters (villains and heroes) to search for red bricks (which unlock upgrades for batman's suits) and lego kits (former bacta tanks in lego starwars and treasure chests in Indiana Jones), which otherwise would not be reachable.
The game includes 15 levels as the good guys and 15 levels as villains. As an owner of the other lego games let me briefly compare Batman to them:
- Compared to Lego StarWars, it is easier to collect all the lego kits and find the red bricks once you are in the free play, but the story mode is harder, you have to be more skilled in battle. You get much more action than the Star Wars one, and less stud retrieving (that even bored me a little in the SW one). You also have more breakable furniture and items than the SW offered.
- Compared to Indiana Jones, this game is pretty much even in the difficulty of the battles, but finding the red bricks and the lego kits is easier.
- lots of action;
- pretty much everything is breakable into studs, which I find fun to do after a frustrating day;
- the great sense of humor unique to the Lego series; (some might disagree, but I like it)
- No game over screens, if you die you show up again, just looses studs, although the hardcore gamer might not like it, casual games like me do; (ok ok I'm a FPS hardcore gamer in the PC, but not on the Wii)
- in the 2 players mode, the camera needs to find a compromise between focusing on player one or two, which most of the times lead to being bad for both.
I don't know how this problem can be fixed and it doesn't bother me that much, therefore I didn't deduct any stars.