2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, October 2, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA Soccer 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This year's FIFA did not impress me at all...
Actually, yes it did, it impressed with how bad it is.
Me and my buddies had been talking about getting this since back in July or before, basically all year since 12. So I picked it up as soon as possible.

I could honestly talk about it for an hour or two. I realize that nothing is perfect, especially in a video game, but this is just no good for me.

I'll start out with what I do think is good about the game. They aren't the best things, but I think they are kinda neat.
1. The Match Day feature is kinda cool, realistic stats and standings in real time based on the real world. That's kinda cool. Even with commentary makes you feel like it's not just the same thing over and over again. However I rarely say "Hey I'm going to play offline by myself today!!" so this really doesn't matter at all. Lolz.

2. Mini Games are kinda fun. I've mastered a few of them and they were [kinda] challenging. However, this is something I will play once. Beat. Then never play again. Woo!

3. The additions to Head 2 Head seasons are cool? I guess? Whatever I just like playing other people and progressing. (But the EA Servers blow, LOL).

4. Earning coins and buying kits or celebrations is neat because it rewards people for playing the game.

That's honestly probably all I can say that I like about the game. If you can even say "Like" it's more of a 'Things that they didn't mess up' section.

Onto what I don't like.

1. The first thing I was disappointed about and I knew it was going to happen before the game was even released, was that the Virtual Pro was made differently.
Instead of using him in the Free Roam Arena, offline on a team, during an Online Friendly, or as part of a Career mode and more, they made him part of TWO things. The first being Pro Club Seasons and the second being the worst mode ever "Drop-In Match."
There are many flaws with this and it astounds me how they could agree to do this. By making the Virtual Pro an "Online Only" feature, they made getting accomplishments a joke. Drop-In Matches only purpose now, is so every time someone touches the ball they take ludicrous shots and do dumb things so they can make their guy better. This leaves you sitting in a game for 15 minutes and nothing happening for your own guy.
Now I can see why EA made the "Online Only" feature and that reason is so people wouldn't "Boost" their player offline to make him amazing. Which is reasonable, but also not worth the trade-off. Since we started talking about FIFA 13, I wanted my Virtual Pro to play for Newcastle UTD and bring the EPL cup and Champions League Cup to Newcastle. Oh wait..... Can't do that now. I also wanted to re-ignite rivalries with my buddies on Online Friendlies.... Oh wait can't do that either.
Oh the friends you have in your Pro Club aren't online? Well I can't make my guy any better now! Yay! That's a lot of fun.
Oh and say you have 2 friends online? Cool let's play some Pro Club, oh wait the ball control is so bad that it's not FUN because the AI have 0 ball control. AWESOME BRO.
I really enjoyed Virtual Pro in the last game and all the stuff I could do and stuff I could unlock. Now it's dumb and Drop-In Matches make me wanna break my XBOX.

2. Oh so you never used the Virtual Pro? Not why you got the game? Only play online?
Well I think it's funny that in every game EA makes, people complain about the servers they have. Which (if you buy the game used or borrow from a friend) you have to PAY ($10) to use!! OMGLOL EA SPORTS. I have YET to be on a full day, where either me or a friend don't lag out of a game. "Cannot connect to the EA Server" Oh wow, thanks for that. I have terrific internet and this is a JOKE. Even in MADDEN I have friends complain about the EA Servers. Why? Because they are a joke and they were for FIFA 12 as well.
Maybe they aren't as bad and I'm exaggerating, but they ARE bad. Don't let anyone lie to you.

3. Let's start this section by saying that when I got FIFA and first started playing it I was a joke. I couldn't pass, I couldn't score, I would get destroyed by anyone I ever played. However I got really good and beat most of my friends now (some got to Division 1 in FIFA 12).
This new game. Say what you will but I think the touch system is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. I wanted to play with PSG as soon as the game came out because of who they added to there team and I wanted to see how good they were. They were rated pretty good and I figured I'd play a game with them. I started the game and passed around, noticed the ball bouncing off some guys feet who were standing perfectly still. So I figured if I ran TO the ball, the touch would bounce 15 yards off my guys feet and the defenders would get it. OR the problem is if you WAIT for the ball to come to you, the defense will get it anyway because defense is disgusting. So what do you do? IDK LOL. I'd string some passes together and get the ball to Ibra or Lavezzi in the attacking third and the ball would hop off of their foot too. So then, I'd get the ball and I would try and cut the ball and it would bounce off their feet. Now, these aren't some MLS 68 overall players. This is Ibra and Lavezzi. Please sit there with a straight face and tell me that they can't control a ball properly. Oh and don't tell me that it's bad because I'm bad. Not the case. Sorry. Better luck next year.

4. Point number 4 is that either the Defense or the Foul calling is the dumbest thing ever.
Foul calling was bad in FIFA 12 in my own opinion too, but I think it's just as bad here too. The thing is, is that when you have say Walcott running to a ball in space, and someone like Mertesacker can catch him, there is an OBVIOUS problem. Now is the problem that the defenders are THAT fast or have a speed advantage somehow? I don't know I need an explanation.
In another case sometimes you'll have Walcott running to the ball in space and you can see him being tugged on from the back so he slows down and the stronger defender catches up, and plucks the ball away from him.
HOLDING a player so he can't get to the ball is a foul and I don't know what the deal is.
The defense just doesn't make sense to me and it seems like it's incredibly unfair. I'd like to see Walcott and Mertesacker race. In real life I'll put $500 on Walcott with a shattered ankle and still win. In FIFA 13, I'd put $500 on Mertesacker because he would win and I don't know why.

5. I don't know. There is more I could talk about but why bother, my main points are listed. I don't play Career mode anymore because I don't have my created guy to play with. Where's the motivation? I normally only played H2H seasons or Online Friendlies anyway.

The main things I PERSONALLY am upset about is the Virtual Pro and it's inexistence, the GARBAGE that they call the EA Servers, and the touch/ defense aspects of the game. Completely ruins why I bought the game and I'm not happy about it. The game is collecting dust as we speak because I have 0 fun playing it and that shouldn't happen.

Buy the game if you want to, these are just some things that I personally have noticed and what I don't like. If you're like me and wanted it so that you could play Virtual Pro. Then don't buy it.
If you like spending money on worthless cards to play Ultimate Team. Then by all means go for it. Because I don't play FIFA for that and can't talk about it because I don't know about it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2012 7:02:39 AM PDT
chancy319 says:
Don't forget that if you do manage to do a difficult accomplishment in Pro Clubs, the other team can just quit making you lose the accomplishment. EA really fudged up with this game. I expected that Virtual Pro would be so much improved but it's like shoving sand into your mouth. I WILL NEVER, EVER PRE ORDER ANOTHER EA GAME AGAIN. Can't believe I got this garbage at midnight. I'd much rather wait and see what they actually added to the game instead of the lies they post in their previews and all the review sites they pay.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 12:48:35 PM PDT
Ivor G. Reid says:
Well said. The poor ball control at times from World Class players is annoying. This is not true in real life soccer. So if EA is trying to simmulate real play. They need to go back and study how real high level soccer professionals play. I like your analogy "I still score goals and stuff, but it's DUMB to think that professional soccer players handle balls like 15 year olds. It's no fun. No fun at all." And if EA is going to Copy ideas from PES they better learn to improve upon it and make sure what they are producing works correctly. It seems EA focus was on releasing the game far ahead of Konami PES. Instead of taking the extra time in making sure the game works correctly all around. It is never a good strategy to push a product to the market at the expense of quality. EA you could have take the extra few months needed to test and make sure the game is functionable and still release in say late Nov or Dec. I believe this game was rushed out by EA hence the numerous bugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:29:02 AM PDT
On the ball control issue, I couldn't disagree more with you people. I was frustrated at first when I had more difficulty receiving passes, but I now I realize this was a great improvement to the game. In '12, all players could catch passes perfectly and even maneuver with the ball as they were catching it. Now I feel the control aspect is much more realistic. With some players, you have to slow down your run in order to receive a pass. Other players who have a better touch can catch the same pass with ease. This improvement has made the game more fun because you have to learn the skill level of different players. It also makes the game more exciting because there are more loose balls and a greater level of serendipity which I thought previous versions were lacking.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 5:41:36 PM PDT
LilVolume says:
I'm glad you didn't take the time to actually read what I had to say. I said that I understand the feature and how not everyone has a perfect touch. But the fact that two world class players had touches like a 2nd grader that it was bad. In trying to make a "realistic" feature it's almost unrealistic. Watch a soccer game and tell me that people (world class players) actually take touches that awfully.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:48:02 AM PDT
You are exaggerating. The touch is not that bad in this game. Now that I'm used to it I don't have any problems
‹ Previous 1 Next ›