5.0 out of 5 stars A phenomenal book about running but more importantly a way of life, May 17, 2009
This review is from: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Hardcover)
My wife handed me Born to Run about 24 hours ago and said "you might like this." Having run quite a bit but nursing an achilles tendon injury for about 3 years, I had almost given up on my dreams of getting back into marathon shape. 24 hours (and very little sleep) later, I feel inspired, awed, and enlightened, and I have Christopher's wonderful book to thank.

In a nutshell, I have not been this entralled by a story since Shadow Divers, Seabiscuit and/or Into Thin Air. Christopher's recounting of the forbidding Copper Canyons, the amazing Tarahumara, ultramarathoners young and old, and the greatest race you've never heard of is enough for me to give this a rave review. But like the aforementioned books, there is so much more to this story, not the least of which was Christopher's own quest (and amazing resiliency) to run without pain. Finally, he put to words many of the thoughts and feelings I've had about running but am unable to articulate. And Christopher is a great writer - I laughed out loud many times throughout. He has a style akin to a Timothy Cahill - a great wit that was obviously aided by a wonderfully intriguing cast of characters.

As the sun was coming up this morning I was a bit sad to see this book end, and am already contemplating picking it up again. But only after I strap on the old, beaten up sneaks and get in a quick jog. Thanks so much for writing this book - I hope it changes lives and perspectives in the process.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 26, 2009 5:07:16 PM PDT
strap on the old sneaks? if you read the book, it's those sierra sandals keeping the heel of the foot off the ground that enable these guys to run and prevents injury. go to u-tube, watch how they are tied and get yourself a pair. be happy

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2009 6:48:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2009 6:48:59 PM PDT
R. George says:
I guess what I meant was, the old sneaks without all the padding/stability technology that the book seems to indicate does more damage than good. Not sure that I am ready to run in sandals just yet in the Brooklyn streets, but am very very intrigued.

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 6:35:24 PM PST
A. Garrow says:
I read this book after a similar experience - mine a knee injury that 2 docs and an MRI could not clarify - and advice given - MORE stablility and arch support - with no improvement - and I too have been inspired. Not quite ready to run in Vibram Five Fingers in Cleveland winter, but inspired and very curious...

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 2:54:28 PM PDT
I'm curious how the reviewer is doing after 2 years with his acchilles tendion injury. That's because I also have an old achilles tendion injury (inflammation).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 1:10:34 PM PDT
R. George says:
Hi Barry - had not checked in awhile so sorry for the slow reply. I am actually nearing marathon shape, as I have run a half marathon last fall and plan to run a marathon in the coming fall. I think the key for me was to change my running style - shorter strides and quicker pace. It feels great to be back in shape again and have dropped 15 pounds in the process (without changing my eating habits). Hope this inspires you to give it a go!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 12:31:52 PM PDT
SierraC says:
R.George, just want to say that I really enjoyed your review. I recently finished Scott Jurek's Eat & Run, so Born to Run was on my mind. Went to the Amazon page, chanced upon your review, and just had to say thanks. Hope you, your family, and your running are all terrific!

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 6:38:01 PM PDT
Walter Fane says:
Very nice review. You really summed it up. Glad to hear you've put the Achilles problem behind you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›