5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Remastering, Blazing Performances...This Version Elevates Song to a New Level, November 20, 2007
This review is from: The Song Remains The Same (Remastered / Expanded) (2CD) (Audio CD)
I admit I wasn't a fan of The Song Remains the Same live album when it was released back in 1976 (was it that long ago?). The concert seemed flat. When the CD was first issued, I thought it sounded even worse. Hardly any highs or lows -- sound-wise and performance-wise.

But Jimmy Page and Kevin Shirley have waved a magic wand over the master tapes. This isn't the same album any more. It's dynamic, vibrant, blistering. The bass guitar is there now! The guitar rings out clear as a bell. And Plant's voice is right up front where it belongs.

I've been listening all afternoon to this remastered edition of The Song Remains the Same. There have been projects around the house I was supposed to get to. There was another new CD I wanted to hear. But I couldn't take this 2-CD set out of my player. It held me in its grip for the entire concert.

Led Zeppelin continues to astound some 25 years after they broke up, and a full three decades plus after this concert was performed at Madison Square Garden in 1973.

If you've held off buying this because the original version left a bad taste in your mouth, rest assured this is a unique experience now. It's crisp as a new can of Pringles and twice as tasty.

I highly recommend The Song Remains the Same remastered 2-CD edition.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2008 10:20:46 PM PST
Steve says:
Hi Just Bill,

I have enjoyed the soundtrack since back in the vinyl days and bought the cd years back, but am seriously considering getting this one anyway for the new material and the reviewers who have said the production is so much better. All of that aside, the reason I am leaving a comment is because I just had to give a shout out to you for the "...crisp as a new can of Pringles and twice as tasty" line. Beautiful! Thanks for the smile! I'll have to remember gem.

Steve

Posted on Apr 1, 2008 5:29:23 PM PDT
Kendra says:
Excellent review-- and one of my absolute favorite albums of all time. I listen to it less now, because I need QUIET so much more (kids!). But, my son just 'discovered' them and this particular album I recently downloaded. I still love them but my husband doesn't! Colorful review!

Posted on May 18, 2010 3:57:55 PM PDT
I want to echo this reviewer's comments. I, too, thought the original (1976) album left much to be desired. As a result, I didn't favor playing it very often and stuck with their studio albums. But, I recently saw the movie on FiOS and it sounded better than I had remembered, so I decided to buy the remastered CD. All I can say is "Wow!" This is far better than I recall the original being. It is riveting and the sound quality is excellent. I'm thinking now I need to run out and also get "How the West was Won."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›