Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots to Like (vs. an old WRT54G), December 4, 2012
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A few points that may not be covered in the other reviews...

- - - Good documentation - - -

The 125-page PDF User Guide seems well written and helpful. The setup wizard tries to be very clear and helpful, (but was not quite helpful enough for me -- see Note 1). The administrative interface is good at explaining many of the options instead of just labeling them. (Example in Note 3). If your router-IQ is low-to-medium, this is worth a lot.

- - - Bad documentation - - -

The setup wizard **does not urge or remind you to change the admin password**. It ends with "Congratulations...Enjoy surfing the Internet." (see Note 2)

Also, TP-Link provides no clarity on where their router stands with WPS. That's the convenient but very hackable device pairing procedure that some experts say should be disabled. (see Wikipedia: "Wi-Fi Protected Setup")

- - - Good Support - - -

Mac computers don't self-discover a USB file share on the router. I emailed TP-Link and got an answer 6 hours later. (Finder...Go...Connect to Server...smb:{volume name})

- - - 2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz - - -

Apparently 5 GHz is ideal for apartments (where interference is the main problem) and 2.4 GHz is better in larger homes (where range is the main problem). You can set it to use either band, or both. (See Note 3)

- - - Energy savings - - -

It runs much cooler than my old Linksys WRT54G. Uses 3.95 watts vs 5.85 watts. Sounds trivial, but over 5 years it will save me $27 -- 40% of the router's cost. (see Note 4)

- - - USB ports - - -

A lot of routers have them now. This one supports printer sharing, and file sharing on USB sticks or USB hard drives. Local sharing is file storage and/or media server. Internet file serving is provided by FTP (File Transfer Protocol). Models like ASUS RT-N16 have direct Bit Torrent support in addition. Nice to have stuff available 24x7, even when various PCs are shut off.

- - - Improved Range - - -

I used the free and very cool NetSpot software (Mac only) to map WiFi signal strength throughout my house... TP-Link TL-WDR3600 (2.4 GHz band) versus Linksys WRT54G. The TP-Link lit up some difficult rooms that were marginal with the Linksys. A very measurable difference. Turns out we don't need two routers, just on decent one.

- - - Summary - - -

Router-world gets cheaper and better every year. I don't know if this one is the very best choice, but there are a lot of reasons to upgrade an old router.

- - - Notes - - -

Note 1: I kept failing the wizard's "Verify Router Settings" check. I had taken a little shortcut that seemed harmless, but wasn't. Instead of wiring my desktop PC directly to the router, I connected through my LAN, which had other devices also powered on. The presence of these other devices during setup apparently threw something off. If your desktop computer is 30 or 90 feet away from your cable modem, you could fall into the same trap.

Note 2: It says "The Easy Setup Assistant has completed a basic configuration of the router. For more advanced settings, please log in to the Web management interface." But that interface has 30+ screens. The average user should be told and guided to set a new admin password.

Note 3: Here's an example of the helpful stuff in the router management interface...

Advantages of 5GHz:

The 5GHz band is less likely to be congested. The 2.4GHz frequency range is much more prone to interference, as it is commonly used by other wireless networks in the area, as well as cordless phones, garage door openers and other home appliances and consumer products.

Disadvantages of 5GHz:

In general, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting their reach inside homes.

Note 4: That arithmetic is for parts of California, where marginal cost is $ 0.33 per kilowatt hour. If your cost is $ 0.11, your savings would be about $9 over 5 years. (1.9 watts * 8760 hours * 5 years * $ .00011 per watt hour.) 3.95 watts is when running 2.4 GHz band only. With both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands running it's 4.35 watts.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2013 12:45:39 PM PDT
Hello! I'm asking you this question because you said comments and questions welcome! :)

I bought the router and can't connect my Lexmark wireless printer to the router.
I've tried the "push button" and "pin" method of entering the printer's pin directly on my router's set up page. Neither works. I'm wondering if the printer will not connect because the printer uses 802.11g/b Wireless. (I really don't even know what that means) Do you have any insight on whether that is my problem? And if it is the problem - is there any workaround for this? I would hate to buy a new printer!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 10:42:52 AM PDT
C. MacPhail says:
I hope someone else can give a better answer. 802.11g/b wireless is just a standard used by virtually every wireless device, and it is certainly supported by this router. That is not your problem. Sorry, I don't know what has gone wrong with your setup, but I'm sure it can be solved. Maybe Lexmark support can help.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 2:19:02 PM PDT
Thanks for your response! I'll give Lexmark a call.

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 2:31:41 AM PDT
whoa_buckey says:
It seems that some routers will fail after a period of time, after nine months, how's it performing so far? I've been looking for a router with good signal strength but not a ton of bells and whistles, this seems like exactly what I've been looking for. Also, I like the large external antenae as opposed to internal, it screams "awesome range".

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 2:33:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 31, 2013 2:33:54 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2013 1:15:50 PM PDT
C. MacPhail says:
No problems so far. I had to reboot it once.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2013 12:35:30 AM PDT
whoa_buckey says:
I will keep that in mind. I've been going back and forth with different routers and modems all summer. At this point one reboot would be a piece of cake and not the end of the world. I'm just glad to hear its still working for you. Thanks so much!

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 8:08:44 PM PST
Will C. P. says:
When it comes to WPS, I can tell you that all the TP-Link routers I've played with are on the more-secure end. Unlike others, when you disable it, it actually disables. Also, it can detect brute force pin attacks, and it will restrict the amount of times you can attempt it.

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 3:43:34 PM PST
Steven says:
C. MacPhail,
First, thanks for the great review! I have a wrt54g at the moment and I feel like it is time to update. This looks like my #1 option right now because of the price and the features (I love the usb port, but I don't want anything outrageously outfitted).
My WRT54G works great for me now, the main thing I'd like to alleviate is that the wireless gets a little weak in my living room (the signal goes about 30 feet, but through several walls), and the WRT54G gets bogged down with heavy torrenting, probably due to the small amount of ram.

Most of our devices are wireless (laptops, tablets, smart phones, and game consoles), so wifi performance is important.

So, in this price range (~$50-60), would you recommend this or any other model?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2014 10:47:06 PM PDT
You need to go to TP-Link's website and download the router printer configuration software.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›