Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Dubious quality at first :\... 5 months later, absolute garbage., July 9, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Ear Force PX21 Gaming Headset (Video Game)
See my original review below this updated one:
New Review (1 star)
-----------------------------------
Bought this at the end of June 2010, and this thing just completely went out on me at the end of November... 5 months. C'mon Turtle Beach, you guys used to have a quality name. I bought these because my dependable, $80 Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's headband broke after several years (5, 8, 10 years? can't remember, it was a long time though), sound was still perfect!!! I figured if I was going to get another set of headphones, I may as well get some that would work on PC, PS3, and 360, and include a built-in mic... big mistake.

I should have known these would be junk as soon as I got them out of their case. The belt clip just disintegrated as soon as I depressed it. Meh, no big deal, it's a belt clip, I'm not going jogging with them. Then, also the same day I got them, noticed sound would cut out on one side. It seemed to go away though, so I figured, maybe my stereo extension cable is going bad (happens). 5 months later, the problem is back, permanently. I did several tests to isolate the problem. Changed stereo cables, hooked the headset directly up to my receiver, hooked it directly up to my PC through usb cable, sound was still out, so it was the wiring/circuitry. Add to that the dye they used on the earphones coming off on your face, and the absurd and ever present hiss in these things, and you have a cruddy yet expensive headset.

I have a friend who bought a pair of X11's and he says they work great... but he treats them with tender love and care (probably caresses them at night or sings to them... "daddy loves you"). I don't handle my headphones with tweezers, but I don't pound on them either. I consider it normal use to toss them aside from a height of several inches onto a soft surface, without needing to worry about cheap wiring coming loose. My HD 280 Pros never had a problem, and the headband issue was well-known, and didn't affect the circuitry or wiring quality... because Sennheiser apparently actually cares about that sort of quality, even when they make lower-cost items. If they have to cut, they'll do it in non-essential areas first. Apparently not Turtle Beach though.

So, I got some Gorilla Glue, some electric tape, fixed up my 280's headband, and I could care less how they look because they're STILL comfortable and STILL work perfectly! My advice, do your homework, save your money, buy a quality set of headphones (I recommend Sennheiser, perhaps even a step up from the 280's just because of the headband, but there's plenty of info out there on other quality brands), and if you need a mic for game chat, consider buying a separate one. You can buy a very inexpensive and small USB sound card that will allow you to use the mic on PS3, and on the 360 there's the SteelSeries Spectrum AudioMixer that allows you to use regular headphones and mic together.

PX21 = Please eXcuse our cheapness, we're looking at high profit margins because these headphones only cost $21 to make...

Pssh, that's probably generous. You've been warned.

Original Review (3 stars)
-----------------------------------
First thing out of the box, the belt clip on the volume module breaks off after I push on it one time.
+ Constant hissing that's bearable, and once you start up a game + chat session your brain isn't really focusing on it (lol game/chat sound distracts you I guess); anywhere there's silence you'll hear significant hissing, though.
= Cheaply made, but it's... okay for something that works on PS3, 360, and PC, has nice Bass + control, stereo expander, mute for mic, chat volume control, game volume control. Overall it's okay.

[Add comment]