2.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Guy finds S9300 mediocre and over priced, May 6, 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S9300 16 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 18x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and Full HD 1080p Video (Black) (Electronics)
I'm sure I either have a bad copy...or some of the reviewing users here haven't put it through it's paces.

My problems:

1. S9300 will not lock focus when zoomed at or near it's maximum.
3. The facial recognition feature, if used on anything but faces...will most often select something other than what you want to focus on...and since this is a menu driven feature, if you're switching between sceens, like at a birthday party, it's a pain to use.
4. Generally speaking, the images leave a lot to be desired across the board. And, this is the general consensus of online reviews...rating the camera a "C" as very average. I have to agree.
5. Portrait mode is way too cool...and there is no way to adjust the color temp in any mode except Auto. Or from the menu when in Auto...again, for the price, this is unacceptable.
6. And this is a biggie...I have lost confidence in the camera's ability to capture the shots that I want.

I tried to like it...I shot over 200 images...and very few were keepers. I had a Canon Elf S600...and it took better images than this model...and the Canon S600 is 4 years old.

I have called Nikon and asked for an RMA and am returning S9300 for a refund. Bottom line, for $349.00, this camera is a poor to average performer...yeilding good to mediocre images.

I don't disagree that if you are outside in bright light that it takes pretty good images...but, still not up to my expectations for the price tag.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this camera to friends or anyone else.

Like I said in my opening statement...I may have a bad copy. These are just my findings on the copy that I received...

Not a happy camper here...

UPDATE: Going on vacation soon and wanted a better point and shoot. Purchased the Nikon P7700 compact point and shoot. I am thrilled to say that this is more like what I was looking for when I bought the S9300. There are lots of external controls...more is better...such as a thumb wheel to adjust your exposure on the fly...way cool.

Image quality is first rate at this price point($399.00.) It is bigger than the S9300 and doesn't have the zoom range...but it does zoom optically to the equivalent of 200mm. Nice.

Just check out the P7700 here at Amazon...you won't be sorry.

I see Nikon has yanked the S9300 and replaced it with an S9500...so, reviews weren't wrong...to bad for current S9300 owners. I wonder if Nikon will be offering a discount on the new S9500, if you send in your S9300.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2012 11:21:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 11:21:40 AM PDT
Bud Zilcoski says:
It sounds like you were less than thrilled with this Nikon. All I have used, except for in 1963 when I had a Kodak Brownie Flashmight, is Nikon. The one I am using is an older version and a very technical one It is a Nikon Coolpix 5700, an 8x zoom, 5.0 megapixels. I bought it in 2004 for around $800.00 and added 2 lenses which I hardly ever use. I am definitely an amateur, more so than I felt long ago. The Nikon I have is super when I use a tripod and generally very good. It is too heavy to lug around when I walk the dog or go most places and I like to have a camera with me at all times. You appear to be an expert and the fact that you are not thrilled with this camera scares me. At first it sounded like what I wanted: light, small and easy to use. Now, I am not so sure. I want all auto and no bells and whistles yet one that takes good photos. Like I said, I am no videophile, so my expertise is limited. Do you feel I can get more for my buck with another Nikon similarly priced or do you feel I should go with the Canon that you mentioned. Bud from Maryland

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 6:12:12 AM PDT
Check out the Canon ELPH 300HS for a good, pocketable, decent-to-good image quality camera that is all auto. The price is especially appealing. If high IQ is your thing, you may want to examine the Canon Gseries and S95 or S100.

I've been researching point and shoots to use when I don't want to carry my dslr around, and what I'm finding is Canon really knows how to make a top-notch point and shoot. Nikon appears to reign supreme in the DSLR world (until reaching full frame), but falls short on the consumer p&s market.

Good luck with your search. I think I have mine narrowed down to those two canons (300hs, and s100).

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:35:25 AM PDT
M. Pobega says:
"2. Selecting one of the Auto ISO ranges...125-800 ISO causes the camera to select very low shutter speeds, so that even with vibration reduction, if you are shooting people, the imgages are soft...appearing OOF...out of focus. (Unacceptable for this price range.)"

Photography 101

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 5:42:36 PM PDT
SRH says:
Yes you have a bad copy. This camera is outstanding.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:25:33 AM PDT
VanGogh says:
I, also, was very disappointed with the performance of the Nikon COOLPIX S9300 camera. It is so slow to respond, I am almost ALWAYS missing the shot! The pictures are blurry or soft, very few are acceptable. Save your money!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:29:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:32:45 AM PDT
CJ says:
Slow to respond is a big no go for me! What does the VR image stabilization consist of?

If I say the model number correctly, the S9100 had 18x zoom I think but while it was out I purchased the S8100 because it had true optical image stabilization while the S9100 had less. Why a 10x zoom camera would have better stabilization than the 18x model is stupid. I considered the S8200 with 14x zoom but would like a little more. I love my S8100 so I want a camera as good as it but with more zoom. True and good optical image stabilization is a must though. I do not at all care about gps on a camera though. With the S8100 I can zoom in fully using both optical and digital zoom and get clear shots everytime, or just use full optical. I even got great moon shots handheld with full optical and digital zoom.

I wish they would release a point & shot camera (similar in size to this) with a larger image sensor AND 10x or more zoom, that would be my ideal camera!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:18:59 AM PDT
The longer the zoom, the worse its image stabilization would get. So it makes sense that a 10x zoom has better stabilization than an 18x zoom camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:26:41 AM PDT
CJ says:
That is not what I am asking. The S9100 did not have the same image stabilization as the S8100 did. As in the S9100 would have been better at long range shots had they used the same optical image stabilization. The S9100 has sensor shift rather than optical which I think is lens shift. That is what I am asking. Does the S9200 (and 9300) have true optical that is lens shift which is the best from what I have read. The 8100 has the VR image stabilization but it is lens shift optical. Some brand hyrbid electronic VR image stabiliaztion which could be digital (software based) along with lens or sensor shift I guess. I will not buy a camera with 18x zoom that doesnt have lens shift unless they have sensor shift down so well it can compare. But I seen many reviews on the 9100 that it did not do too well at times handheld zoomed in. I have seen long zoom cameras have 36x zoom and do better than what the 9100 is said to do with only 18x zoom as far as stabilization goes.

I am asking if it is lens shift or sensor shift.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:56:02 AM PDT

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:15:52 AM PST
suzitec says:
Very disappointed in this camera. My previous coolpix were great. VERY slow response time wiht this one and using it at full zoom is usless. If you can get it to focus at full zoom it will take so long you will miss the shot. Guess I will be looking for a Cannon as my next point and shoot. I do love my Nikon SLR though.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›