5.0 out of 5 stars I was really impressed with all of the action, loyalty, passion and terror that was thrown into this story., April 25, 2012
This review is from: Blood Red Road (Dustlands, Book 1) (Paperback)
Interest in the book: Ashley at The Bookish Brunette and I talked about reading Blood Red Road for the next Dark Ash's review. I laughed my friggin tuckus off when I started reading it because there is an absence of quotes. I wrote in my book review notes "Ohnoes! Another non-quoter!" You see, when Ashley and I reviewed The Reapers are the Angels, she made it quite clear that she was not feeling the missing quotes. Hence my roaring laughter. I immediately told Ashley and she said Hells to the No. Actually, she used more mature language. Anyway, I decided to continue reading, seeing as how I was already hooked. The absence of quotes is weird but I caught on quickly. This is the 3rd story with a dystopian setting that I've come across that does not use quotes. If anyone can explain the purpose of this, please speak up!

World-building: This world is wicked, and not in a good way. As the cover suggests, the landscape is bleak, dry, dusty, desert. Barren. Saba and her twin brother, Lugh, younger sister, Emi and their pa live in a shack that can barely withstand the dust storms that blow over the landscape. Food is scarce and their future is looking grim. The description of the landscape and the horrid society is absolutely fascinating and equally disgusting. Oh, and there are hellworms, which instantly sent my mind to Tremors. This is pleasingly hilarious, though the hellworms were anything but!

As the story progresses, Saba is forced to leave the comfort of her shack and traipse through the dangerous terrain in search of her brother, who was taken by the King's soldiers. Society has become a shell of its former glory, and people are struggling to survive, which you know turns people into ugly, twisted bastards. The King is introduced and you are not happy to meet him. Not one bit. It seems as though he is using drugs to keep people civilized, so to speak, but you always have your outlaws!

Characters: Saba does. not. play. I hold this chic in high ranks with people like Katsa and Katniss. Her ferocity and will to live are so admirable, though through much of the book you want to knock her on her ass because she is about as stubborn as they get. But if you look closely, you can see some rich growth from start to finish. You have to admire her loyalty and love for her brother, Lugh, but you also want scream at her insensitive and prideful attitude towards everyone else.

Jack. *sigh* From his very first scene, I imagined him as Sawyer from Lost, mainly because of his attitude and hair. It just fits and I'm sticking with it. That being said, I adored him hardcore. He challenged Saba's stubborness, especially when it came to caring for Emi. He reminded Saba that Emi was also her family when all Saba could think of was her brother. Jack also showed vulnerability at the right moments and thus, epic swooning ensued.

NERO! Wow. Who would've thought I would love a nasty ole crow as much as I loved this bird. He was an epic pet who served as so much more for Saba. He was an incredible piece of the story, for me. I am always drawn to animal friends in stories, and the use of a crow as a companion is so unique!

Lasting Impressions: I was really impressed with all of the action, loyalty, passion and terror that was thrown into this story. You are presented with a barren terrain, a foul, cruel society, a chic who don't quit and some serious a$$-kicking! Not to mention a ton of girl-power and some damn good romantic tension. All in all, this story was engrossing and terrifying. I am ridiculously excited to see where the author takes the story. We haven't seen the last of Saba. And I cannot wait for some more Jack time! '

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]