5.0 out of 5 stars This books deserves 500 stars! Simply spectacular!, October 21, 2002
This review is from: 500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes, from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love (Paperback)
First let me say that I own many, many low-carb cookbooks, and this one is THE best I have ever read! Not only does it offer 500, yes, 500 recipes that are easy, fabulous and low carb, but the introduction and ingredient chapters were SPECTACULAR! The introduction was warm, witty and informative. I typically skim through the beginning chapters and get right to the recipes, but I couldn't put this one down! So many questions that I had were answered in the Low Carb Specialty Foods chapter, not to mention the Polyols chapter and the Where to Find Low-Carb Specialty Products chapter (she doesn't like paying through the nose for this stuff, either)!
The Ingredients You Need to Know About section was the absolute best--necessary and unique information about eggs, fats/oils, flour substitutes (what the heck are guar and xanthan gums, anyway--she answers that, too!), sweeteners (wow, I can have molasses!), vegetables (and I can have carrots, too!), and oh so much more. Her first recipe is addictive enough to eat every day (Heroin Wings)! I wish I could say that I've made all the recipes, but I'm so busy trying out the recipes from the first chapter, I haven't even looked at the other chapters yet, but believe me, I know they'll be outstanding.
This author is down-to-earth, funny and charming. I can relate to her so well. She stresses over and over again to listen to your body and let that be your guide regardless of whether the food is low-carb. This works so well for me. The BEST book you will ever purchase on low-carbing and low-carb recipes. DON'T MISS THIS ONE!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 2, 2011 6:04:34 PM PST
Bob Fincher says:
Did J. Carrol write the book? Her review sounds like she did. I wouold like to believe her and am going to buy the book anyway, but I am naturally skeptical of such, well written reviews.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:06:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 10:07:48 AM PDT
B. Speer says:
Five hundred stars for this book and she has not got past the first chapter? I'll up her five hundred and say Five Thousand Stars for her enthusiasm and ONE STAR for OBJECTIVITY.

Advertising has warped Americans into subjective thinking so badly reality means nothing anymore. The book looks interesting and I will keep it in my cart while I look for others. Already ordered the most popular one. "New Atkins for a New You" but if it only has five hundred recipes I will need more sooooooo soon, LOL

p.s. Read the "Why We Get Fat". It convinced me. Yikes a life time of driving on the wrong side of the road. Everything is so upside down and ALL my preferred foods are NO MORE forever? I am in shock.

Guess we need to have a "garage sale" of all our food. Yes means NO, No means YES. Almost easier to change politics or have a sex change.........OK, I am kidding! The whole US food industry has totally intrenched US into cheap carbohydrates.

No wonder the Mayor of NY is trying to stop those killer soft drinks. Like smoking only more subtle. This is bigger and worse the cigarettes? Considering the position of conservatives on both this carbohydrate may cull a lot of them. They will never accept Atkins? If your conservative and have then you must have started from the middle or a lucky birth defect. Couldn't we just go bungy jumping?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:48:37 AM PST
Carroll says:
Um, I didn't write the book, ,but thanks for the compliment! No, I am your average mildly overweight middle-aged woman who has been looking for the right diet for my body. Sometimes you need to stop doubting everything and just take the plunge. I certainly understand your skepticism, as I've had thoughts like that also after reading some reviews, but I would like to think that false comments are the exception and not the rule. I hope you got out of the book what I did. Eating low carb can get pretty boring for me!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:41:49 PM PST
G. Shore says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:46:31 PM PST
Carroll says:
Get a life!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 11:13:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 11:15:35 AM PST
hi everyone, what I was going to ask is, are most of the recommended foods for making the recipes, what we have on hand in pantry, etc.??, as so many times we have to find 'where are all the odd ingredients to even begin the recipe!!! Any help will be appreciated...thanks..

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 11:39:40 AM PDT
Thank you for a helpful and very well written review. I just received my book, and so far it looks great.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2014 5:24:10 PM PDT
Fanny Parker says:
Um I sure hope you are joking because you sound r********s. Driving on the wrong side of the road... Smoking and sex changes and cheap carbohydrates AND the Mayor of New York and those Killer Soft Drinks! And... let us not forget Bungee Jumping! You are trying to sound clever when all I saw was a dumb comment that had nearly nothing to do with the reviewers review... I wish I had skipped yours! By the way I lost 50 pounds on this lifestyle change and never felt better. In fact, I see a copy for 1 cent plus shipping so if there are only a couple decent recipes I actually use it will have been worth the cost!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2014 5:27:37 PM PDT
Fanny Parker says:
You are fine. B. Speers review of your review is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in awhile. I'm buying it because YOU my dear have the exact same enthusiasm I myself get for something that really works and that I find I love! I wonder why it says though that I just replied with a later post? I'm in 2014 and B. Speer is in 2012 LOL. You probably won't see this either but just in case, I wanted you to know I am buying this book because of your review. I love the Atkins lifestyle also, it saved my life!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2014 5:28:38 PM PDT
Fanny Parker says:
I buy most of the so called specialty products from Amazon lol, they carry everything except the fresh stuff!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›