4.0 out of 5 stars Not only rugged but packed with awesome features., July 21, 2013
This review is from: Olympus Stylus TG-830 iHS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Red) (Old Model) (Electronics)
I had thought about looking around at a rugged camera after going on a canoe trip. I was looking around at the Fuji Film and the Nikon models and they seemed pretty good. I had loved the look of the Olympus TG-2 but it is a bit pricey. I also liked that the TG-2 had a f/2.0 aperture which is miles ahead of pretty much any other rugged camera.

I looked at what else Olympus had and the TG 830 looked pretty good, and was priced well too. I ended up choosing it over the TG-2 and the other cameras because it has the best zoom (5x optical, 10x SR zoom), It has the most video feature including 720p 120fps, 60I 1080p, and some other fun shooting modes. It if I saw correctly can take the fastest burst shots, as well as the functioning, shot to shot etc speed seemed to be as fast or faster than the others.

So now that I have it i'm very satisfied. The controls are very easy to use (MUCH easier than my previous canon 520hs).Controlling the settings on the camera is very straight forward and I havn't really had to question anything at all.. The Camera feels a bit awkward in the hand, it seems a bit large but I think it is just me getting used to it.

Video modes I really love, firstly the 720p 120fps is awesome and fun to use. However one drawback is the picture darkens down in 120/240fps mode and with the low aperture it makes it hard to get a good video without some decent light (This is mostly true for every high speed video camera though). There is also the ability to take photos in the video, and a mode that automatically takes photos at a set interval during shooting.

It has the magic art filters which some are honestly kind of fun I have to admit. There is also something I like alot, a handheld night mode which optimizes everything for shooting a picture during very low light without a tripod, It's nice to have it right on the mode wheel for easy access.

The zoom is fairly good with the SR enabled, (though you must have it at 16mp for tha to work). As well you can zoom during video recording as well.

I haven't tested the waterproof of it yet but I'm sure I will in due time. I reccomend this to anyone who wants a rugged or an extremely fast camera as well!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]