4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray quality nice, but "Special Edition" not so special..., January 21, 2010
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
This is just a review of the Blu-Ray "2 Disc Special Edition" since there are plenty of reviews of the movie itself by reviewers far more qualified than I.

The video and sound quality is excellent and I have no complaints about that. But I have to give this 4 stars instead of 5, because, I just don't get some of the "marketing lingo" on this package:

* This version does NOT include a running commentary. None at all (not director, not actors, not cinematographer, nothing). To me this is really odd -- it seems that almost all DVDs released in the last 10 years have had some sort of commentary track. Especially with a Tarantino movie, this seems like something you really WANT to have.
* I think this is the only Blu-ray version available right now. It includes the "digital copy" but that is just a lower-res copy of a movie with DRM, nothing wrong with getting that with it, but that is one of the TWO discs in the "Special Edition"
* If this is the only one available, and it doesn't include stuff like a commentary, what makes the Marketing people put the "Special Edition" tag on it? I guess because it comes with the low-res copy, see previous item...
* Other info on the package is misleading too. It says under "Additional Features:" "The original Inglorious Bastards." This might lead one to conclude that it includes the original movie (and there would be plenty of room for an SD copy of a movie on a Blu-ray disk. This feature is just a 10-minute summary of the movie and discusses it's relation to the new movie. A nice feature worth watching, but I think the way it is named as a feature is misleading.
* Minor thing: They put a sticker about "Includes Digital Copy" on the metallic-printed cardboard sleeve. When you take off the sticker, it removes part of the metallic printing. I know these sleeves are only meant to make the product look nice and flashy and get your attention when it's on a store shelf. But for those of us that like to keep these, it was annoying the way it was stickered. If they put the sticker on the outer plastic shrink-wrap this wouldn't be a problem.

Still a great movie and I'm glad I got the disc. Giving it 4 of 5 because of the questionable "Special-ness" of the Edition.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first

C. Rainbolt says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 8:41:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2011 8:56:26 PM PDT
P. M. Bego says:
Ahh, good point indeed. but if you look at the date of my review, it was shortly after the movie was released (about 1 1/2 years ago), and the price was much higher then. I have seen the recent price drops and I'd definitely recommend picking up this movie at that price, for those that want it.

As I mentioned in my review, I was not criticizing the movie (and in fact, I think a "4" is a perfectly valid rating -- I don't like it when people give something a "1" because of one thing they didn't like.)

One thing I'd watch for on those "Digital Copy" discs -- a lot of them expire after a specified date, which is often less than a year after the movie ships. Sometimes when you buy old stock from a retailer, the digital copy is already expired when you get it. Some discs let you install it anyway, others are very strict about their expiration dates. Just something to check for if the Digital Copy is something you want. (I've activated most of my movies on iTunes, just so they are now installed and won't expire -- but realistically I don't intend to watch a dramatic movie on portable devices. Some animated shows or music videos, maybe, but full movies, probably not...)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2011 9:15:13 AM PDT
K. Oliver says:
I was wondering about the expiration on this. I bought some budget DVD a little while ago that mention a free download of a digital copy. When reading threw the offer it said that the file would expire and I thought was just crap. So I don't pay those any attention any more. But, you mentioned that you activated it in itunes and it wont expire. How is that? Is it something in itunes or did you have to do something special in order for it to not expire?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 7:03:22 PM PST
P. M. Bego says:
This is for K Oliver's question. The whole "Digital download" can be very tricky. But, basically, most movies that claim to have a digital copy, even if they include a disc, also come with a code (like a password) that expires after a certain date. This means you have to ACTIVATE that copy by that time. Once you do that, it remains in your "movie library" of the service (usually iTunes) forever[*]. I have been burned by some movies I bought, but never got around to "activating," and even some new movies I bought from Amazon (they were older movies, but I just ordered them and they arrived right away) were already expired, and in that case, basically, you have no more digital copy. So my point was, if you get a movie with a digital copy, make sure to install it on iTunes right away. Also, at this time (Nov 2011), I can't say whether the movie in this review still ships with a valid copy license or not -- I would assume it does NOT.

[*]Once you install a movie on iTunes on a computer, you have the rights to watch the movie on that computer and also to transfer it to some compatible devices (i.e. iPhone or iPad). However, if something happens to that original computer, you MAY not be able to get the file back. There are ways to back things up and there are ways to transfer licenses, but basically, my warning is that it can be fairly complicated. And keep in mind the "Digital Copy" is a low-quality image -- fine for watching on an iPhone-sized device, but if you want to hook it up to a big screen, be prepared for fairly poor picture and sound quality. So, in my opinion, these digital copies are mostly a big deal about nothing, but, since the publishers market them, I found it frustrating that you couldn't even use the content they provided, after a certain date.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:09:17 AM PST
Yolie says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 11:50:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 16, 2013 11:55:50 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,143 customer reviews)

$19.98 $17.98