Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-chosen covers for a master interpreter, October 13, 2006
This review is from: Still the Same...Great Rock Classics Of Our Time (Audio CD)
It may well be that Rod Stewart is becoming the Frank Sinatra of his generation, and who could've guessed it way back when he was a skinny young punk with the Faces? The fact is, Rod has always been a superb interpreter of lyrics, melodies, and moods, and with this collection, he takes on some of rock's greatest classics and...well, if he doesn't make them his own, he certainly at least does them proud.

Truthfully, I can remember thinking back in the day when some of these songs were released, "Hey, Rod Stewart could do a great job with this tune." I mean, when I first heard Bonnie Tyler singing, "It's A Heartache," I thought it WAS Rod. Well, he finally gets his chance here to cover these classics, and--as Michael McDonald did with his Motown CDs--he brings a lot of love and energy to the material.

I won't say that Rod's versions exceed the originals, but it's a joy to hear him put his soulful stamp on "I'll Stand By You," "Have You Ever Seen the Rain," and "Everything I Own." The title track is a superb choice for Rod. I love Bob Seger's original, but I was surprised how appropriate it is for Rod to sing as well--it's almost autobiographical at times, and the song packs a lot of emotion and pathos.

"Father & Son" is a very moving song, and as a George Harrison fan, I appreciated the Stewart-ized "If Not for You." Rod's stirring cover of "Everything I Own" is not an obvious choice, but the more I listen to it, the more I think it just may...MAY...mind you...top the original.

In my opinion, there are really no weak moments here. Some reviewers have criticized the arranging, the instrumentation, or the production, but it seems the producer, maestro Clive Davis, was really deliberately (and wisely) aiming to put Rod's voice up front and center, where it belongs. And, it must be said, that the musicianship throughout is topnotch and well done by a very stellar supporting cast.

Overall, it's a great collection of tunes, rendered by a rock legend and master interpreter. While these versions may not, in general, always top the originals, they do make for excellent listening, and also serve to preserve some classic tunes for a whole new generation. (And, believe me, this is not just "music for old people." A lot of teens are getting turned onto vintage rock and soul because they are sick of the tuneless sameness of today's hip hop or prefab girly schlock or thrash metal.)

Good job, Rod, and happy listening everyone!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2008 1:18:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2008 1:20:30 PM PDT
Aldo Garcia says:
Dear Dr. Emil Shuffhausen aka Tom Bombadil,

I knew about you when I was reading Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope, so I decided to give a look to your profile as I chose not to comment your review on Obama's book due I know more about music than I do about politics, the only thing Im going to say about politics is Im really conservative but as I am foreign, in American politics Im liberal, most foreign people dont agree with United States's Foreign Issues Policies.

But back to this product, I also decided to comment this mostly because I love classic rock, I really do, unfortunately I wasnt alive when these artists started playing, Im 18 actually, and I will tag my music tastes only as classic rock, because it is so wide I can't choose just one subgenre, I really like 60s, 70s and 80s. Anyways, Rod Stewart is a great artist and I have a greatest hits compilation by him, also like his voice but I still prefer the original versions, Im not a cover songs fan.

You did a good job in both reviews I read, unfortunately for you, you wont find any reviews on my profile because I prefer reading them than creating one, but I have created a You Would Like To review, as I said my tastes in rock are pretty wide so it is about Metallica, which is for me one of the greatest metal bands, probably the only rock I dont like is nowadays's rock. But don't worry as I begin collecting more classic rock and keep studying more rock history I will write some reviews, some of my favorite cds I own are Queen's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 UK version and Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd.

As you say civilly,

Aldo Garcia

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 10:40:05 AM PDT
Thanks, Aldo! I enjoy a lot of bands ... you mentioned two of my favorites, Queen and Pink Floyd. Electric Light Orchestra, Yes, Kansas, Genesis, Moody Blues, Supertramp, Alan Parsons, Styx, The Move, Traveling Wilburys, and Boston are others I enjoy. U2 is certainly a band I love, as well as Third Day, Delirious, and Barren Cross. I look forward to your reviews!

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 12:44:43 PM PST
If Not for You is a Bob Dylan song not a George Harrison song.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 12:49:37 AM PST
E. J. Ryan says:
If Not For You was famously covered by George Harrison and quite identified with him. I have 2 DVDs in which George covers it (one in duet with Bob Dylan), so I think the comment is valid.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2016 11:47:44 AM PDT
Dave says:
Your right but Olivia Newton John made "If Not For You" a Big Hit in 1973 and I think The Dr. got the title "What is Life" by George Harrison also recorded by Olivia? Anyway! This is a much better album than I thought it would be, as normally when you hear a Great song for the first time that you just love, that is also the Only Artist that should ever record that song; but we all know that is not always the case. Rod Stewart has a great ear and a classic Rock voice for most of these songs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›