Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Now Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorely needed because it finally puts low-fat vs. low-carb to rest., November 5, 2007
This review is from: Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease (Hardcover)
I'm a researcher by trade. Not a medical researcher, but an analyst nonetheless and I have been waiting for a very long time for this kind of work to come out. This isn't advocacy whatsoever. It's a look at what everyone says, and what the science says, and the politics that led us to ignore the science. The research level is staggering and evidence so overwhelming that portions of the book are downright infuriating.

I personally found reading the one-star reviews here interesting because there is not a single, negative review here that remotely suggests the reviewer actually read the material.

On to my own rating, here's what I think you should know when considering this purchase:

This is unlike any book you've ever read on the subject of diets. It is not a diet book. It is not a lifestyle book. It is not an advocacy book. It is a look at the science that has been ignored as our country has rolled toward the low-fat religion and what the consequences of this have been. It is a look at how and why overwhelming science and evidence was ignored.

Society has needed someone to do what Taubes did here -- to strip away what is popular, to dig into claims and recommendations, and see what the EVIDENCE shows us for claims on both sides of the diet argument. It will give you clarity where there has never been any, while explaining why it has been absent.

If you are looking for a book that lays out a diet plan and recipes and sample meals and such, this is not for you. This is a work of scientific journalism, not a diet plan.

On a final note, it is noteworthy that there have been no real rebuttals to this work whatsoever from the "experts" and "authorities" who have, because of politics and money and cowardice, advocated dietary guidelines that have driven our society into our miserable states of health and obesity.

That silence is shame.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2008 2:46:31 PM PST
D. Erickson says:
Your review actually gave me a lump in my throat! I can't wait to get into the book!

Posted on May 6, 2008 11:01:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 6, 2008 11:01:50 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 5, 2008 5:01:53 PM PDT
N. Mieses says:
Very well said. I totally agree w/ everything. It really is infuriating that the medical community has been lying to us for so long. I wish everyone read this book then maybe obesity & many other diseases would be no more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2008 9:40:10 AM PDT
I agree.. it is an incredible book, full of facts and leading us through interesting paths.

Every time I read it, I learn more.

Posted on Apr 7, 2009 2:16:26 PM PDT
M. JPharms says:
I too agree. After reading the nytm articule and then this book, it cemented it for me that is the most healthy
way to eat. Period. I get so tired of the people when I tell them I'm following dr.Atkins plan "oh, that's not
good for you" or "you need to eat a balanced diet". well a "balanced diet" gave me headaches, made me sluggish
and the weightloss was so slow I was ready to go insane! I've only just finished induction but I've never felt better and having this book with all the rescearch that went into it just goes to prove that this works.

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 5:23:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2009 5:24:19 PM PDT
Faith says:
I've heard that the American food pyramid is determined by how much money is given. I hope this isn't true.

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 9:58:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2009 10:04:59 PM PST
Thinker says:

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 5:54:42 PM PST
D.M. says:
Beware of confirmation bias.

"Confirmation bias refers to a type of selective thinking whereby one tends to notice and to look for what confirms one's beliefs, and to ignore, not look for, or undervalue the relevance of what contradicts one's beliefs."

"Confirmation biases contribute to overconfidence in personal beliefs and can maintain or strengthen beliefs in the face of contrary evidence. Hence they can lead to disastrous decisions, especially in organizational, military, political and social contexts."

"Individuals have to constantly remind themselves of this tendency and actively seek out data contrary to their beliefs." Since this isn't easy, most of the time we're stuck with bias. Nobody will ever be 100% free of bias, but we can work to reduce it as much as possible.

BTW I'm not opposed to low carb for people who need it because of their inability to handle carbs, just with the assertion that it should be done using a diet high in meat. You can get all the benefits of low carb from an Eco-Atkins diet without the increased risk of heart disease and cancer.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 2:39:27 PM PST
Do you think you are not also susceptible to seeking out data that confirms your innate biases?

Judge not.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 4:10:33 AM PDT
Mark Indy says:
On the same note, check out this scientific study published in Circulation.

Differences in coronary mortality

The full text available for free as a pdf file.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›