4.0 out of 5 stars Unloco - Becoming Better, April 29, 2003
This review is from: Becoming i (Audio CD)
My overall view on this album is a positive one. I like it alot and is currently in my car's CD player. This band has blossomed into something much better. I originally owned their self titled album hooked by the song "Nothing," but this album evoles the band into something so much more.
1. "Crashing" - With a rather strong drum line, this track speaks of sacrifices that don't pay off, an easy thing we can all relate to.
2. "Failure" - This is the band's single, and it's a shame too because it's one of the better songs on the CD. (I don't want it to get played out) Opening with an acoustic guitar, the vocals are given a real solo here and do this well for the first time on the album. (but hey it's only track 2)
3. "Hands and Knees" - This is the classic "Dear Mom & Dad" song most bands have on least on of their albums. (I know KoRn has a few). In the interlude of the song, spanish is spoke: Pues madre y padre esta vida no quiero vivir. Basically this means, well mom and dad I don't want(or it doens't please me) to live this life. This is in my opinion, awesome. More bands need to use other languages in their songs. It twists things up.
4. "Drowning In This" - opens with a rag tag drum beat and depressing lament about how "their's nothing good about this life." The chorus is power exclaiming "it's not right to feel this way," that let's the listener known that the singer is ready to change to the old way of his life, where he "used to feel so much better than this."
5. "Empty" - This is my favorite song on the CD. Again the drums are stronger than the guitar in this one, especially in the verses. The verses are deep, and are easy to relate to for me. This song is also the first time on the album we hear a scream for the vocals and they finish the song off nicely.
6. "Bruises" - This the heaviest song on the CD so far. The first explicit is also spoken(screamed?) "shut the f*ck up!" I'm not sure how I feel about this song. There's better ones on the CD. A lot of screaming and heavy guitars/bass/drums.
7. "Making Me Hate You" - Grungy guitar opens the song, and is followed by drums like normal. (They could really use a drum opening or bass opening.) This song has sort of a rap feel to the verse, the flow easily and quickly. The Chorus is awesome, and my third favorite on the CD. It's powerful, angry, and convincing.
8. "Watching Me Slip" - This song is primarily acoustic and vocals. A soothing orchestra (or maybe a really expensive keyboard) comes in about mid-way through the song and drives emotion deeper into the song. I love this song and Unloco does a great job on this one.
9. "Becoming i" - A little guitar rift opens and then some quiet vocals. These pick up when the drums enter. There's a good progression and a somewhat tribal drum beat. I dig that. This song is rather quiet through out until about 3:17, then he just goes off and screams. It sounds great and it gets your blood moving.
10. "Fold" - This song has some good vocals and is the second song on the Cd that uses an explicit. "It's half past noon, another f*cking bad day." I'm not sure about the focus of this song but it has good progression so I like it. I think he's maybe saying that he gives in or "folds" like in poker.
11. "Neurotic" - This is probably the only song on the CD that I skip. It's got good progressions but the vocals have some sort of effect on them that just turns me off.
12. "Texas" - Arguable the softest song on the CD next to "becoming i." This song is just amazing. Saying there's acoustic guitar and vocals just doesn't do it justice. You have to hear this one. It's about a lost girlfriend I assume and man, I think all guys can relate to that one. There's a piano in this one and helps to reflect the overall lamenting and sad mood of this song.
I hope this reivew helps. Enjoy this great album.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]