4.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, December 1, 2008
This review is from: Dutch Rubber Broom (Large) w/ 52" Handle (Kitchen)
I normally avoid any infomercial-type products like the plague, but I decided to try this broom out after hearing it praised so highly in Ellen Sandbeck's book Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Non-Toxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, and, Perhaps, Your Sanity. Well, color me impressed!

The broom has quite a large head and a telescoping handle, which extends quite a ways at its full length and is very compact at its shortest length. In fact, one of my few complaints is that the head may be a tiny bit TOO large for my taste -- a slightly smaller model may work better in the kitchen, with this size suited a bit more to the basement or outdoor tasks. The telescoping handle is nice; you just twist to tighten or release it. I do find that if I'm not careful when I'm sweeping, I'll inadvertently grab the twisty part (that's the technical term for it!) and collapse the handle.

Sweeping with this broom is AWESOME! Well, as awesome as sweeping can be ... One problem I always had with a regular broom is that dog hair would go floating merrily across the floor, making it tough to get every last bit. But with the rubber broom, the hair tends to clump up in a neat little pile. The broom also works well on my rugs -- handy when I went to get the pet hair off them but don't feel like dragging out the vacuum.

I've also used the broom to mop, with great results. I had been using a Swiffer Wet Jet, with pretty good results, but the refills get pricey, and I felt bad about the amount of waste I was creating. Now I just use a couple rubber bands to attach an old, damp hand towel to the rubber broom. It works great, and the best part is that it's easy to take off the towel and put a fresh one on, so you're not just spreading dirt all over the floor. I also find that the rubber broom/towel combo seems to get the floor a bit cleaner than the smoother Swiffer pads -- very handy when you have a large dog and a toddler who loves to throw food. (Bonus -- I mop more frequently now, since I don't worry about "wasting" my Swiffer pads!)

[Add comment]