5.0 out of 5 stars Better in person than online - nice timepiece, March 26, 2007
This review is from: Invicta Men's 9211 "Speedway Collection" Stainless Steel Watch (Watch)
When I ordered this watch I was expecting to get exactly what I paid for....a $95 watch, but what I received far surpassed my expectations. First, the box it came in was ginormous and well protected. Seriously you could have fit 3 or 4 of these watches in that thing, and it included a suede or suede-like polishing cloth as well.

The watch itself was covered in a clear protective film which was easily removed. Upon inspection the first thing I noticed was the face and how it has a very detailed raised background which adds a lot of class to the watch. An additional nice feature is the screw down crown which allows you to "lock" down the dials without worrying about water getting into the watch through the adjustment shafts. Invicta didn't overlook the details here, and it shows.

A quick review of the included guide and I had the second hand adjusted to the 12 o'clock position and it was ready to go. I did have to remove a few links to get it to the proper size, but it was a straightforward process even without the proper tool. If you are unsure how this process works or are nervous that you might scratch the watch, you can purchase a pin removal tool right here on Amazon for about $15 which would surely make the job much easier.

A week later and it hasn't lost any measurable amount of time, so it appears that it is doing exactly what it was designed to do. This watch does use a Japanese movement (indicated by the micro-printing on the face which reads "Japan Movt" at the 6 o'clock position), but the modern Japanese movements are on par with anything the Swiss can make, and in some cases are arguably better - although they don't carry the same veneration as being able to say you have a "Swiss watch".

Admittedly the second hand isn't as smooth as a $3500 watch and it doesn't "sweep" like a Rolex....but honestly what do you expect for around $100? I'm guessing about 99% of the average citizen would have no clue if this was a $100 watch or a $3500 watch - and I'm not about to spend a few extra thousand just to have the name Rolex glued to the face. They both tell time, only this one comes with the added feature of a fat wallet as well.

The stopwatch function is nice, but honestly isn't that valuable. It might be neat to watch the second hand swing back up to 12 when you reset it, but with the exception of testing a speedometer I doubt it would be precise enough for much else. I won't use any of the chronograph functions, but again I believe they add a touch of class to the watch and make it look much more expensive than it is.

The fit and finish as extremely good, and even though I have worn it every day since it arrived and haven't exactly been gentle thus far there isn't a scratch to be found anywhere on the face or even the band. The clasp itself is more of a brushed stainless material which is appreciated since it is the part which comes into contact with hard surfaces most often, and it should be somewhat resistant to scratching.

If I have any complaints at all it would be the embossed "INVICTA" found on the 9 o'clock side of the watch. It isn't that noticeable when worn, but it seems a little representative of a Seiko or Timex....could have done without it. The Invicta logo on the face is very tasteful and well done - not distracting from the rest of the face at all.

All things considered I wouldn't hesitate for a second to purchase another Invicta, and assuming this watch stands up to my usage over the next year or two I most likely will add to my collection. This particular model is nice enough to be worn in a business or formal event but also can be worn with jeans and t-shirts.

The watch itself is a little beefier than what I was coming from, but it hasn't bothered me thus far and even though I have smaller wrists I don't believe it looks too big. However, if you are looking for more of a streamlined timepiece or something which is thin - you won't appreciate the bulkiness of a chronograph or this model in particular.

Update 11/01/10: Over three and a half years later and I am still very happy with this watch. I wear the watch every day and have had no significant issues thus far. I did break a pin which resulted in me losing one of the end links on the band (my fault), but I ordered a replacement band from Amazon which solved the issue (I wrote a separate review for that as well). About a month ago I noticed the second hand on the watch stopped working but the hour and minute hands were still working just fine. I thought the watch was broken, but aside from the second hand everything else seemed ok so I continued to wear it. About a week or ten days later the entire watch stopped, so I replaced the battery and all is well again (including the second hand). The next time I notice the second hand stop, I'll consider it a warning that the battery is about to die on me.

I am considering buying another watch in black, and I'm am putting Invicta at the top of my list due to the way this watch has performed. The only thing I would change about this watch would be to swap out the battery for a self-winding movement, but for under a hundred bucks that is asking for quite a bit. I know Invicta has self-winding watches that cost a bit more, so I might opt for one of those in the future.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2008 6:43:20 PM PST
Buffalo Ill says:
it's unclear to me if this watch is what you would call "automatic". is it self-winding? does it need a battery? thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 3:11:19 PM PST
It is a quartz watch meaning it does require a battery.

Posted on Sep 2, 2008 3:56:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 11, 2010 7:51:06 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 11:36:41 AM PDT
Ok Felix you are entitled to your opinion, but this isn't about ME it is about a WATCH. If you have a question about the watch I would be more than happy to answer it.

Note to others: Felix is a little bitter about the fact I disagreed with him regarding a Nikon/Canon comment relating to cameras used at the Olympics (and the evidence I posted to support my opinion). Why he feels the pout about it while commenting on my unrelated reviews I have no idea.

Have a nice day.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 5:53:47 PM PST
Dan says:
Craig; if you are still looking for a self winding Invicta for less than a $100.00 look at the 8928C or 8928ob it's the same watch. Both have the coin bezel, I have the two tone, but it comes plain jane also. Thanks for the great review, I started collecting Invicta watches and now have 20 plus a few others. They are a great watch for the dollar.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 6:24:12 AM PST
Very nice Dan - I'll check them out! Still loving my Invicta even after almost five years - it keeps perfect time, looks great, and has held up with no troubles. I'd have no reservations about picking up a few more Invictas based upon my experience with this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 1:50:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012 2:01:40 AM PST
Dan says:
Craig; I ordered this watch after reading your review, my collection is growing. Glad to hear that the watch has held so well after all of these years. I am new to Invicta but I am impressed with each one that arrives. There is a 9937c that will run you between $250 and $300, check that one out if it is within your reach. There is also the 3044 Grand Diver for about 100 or there abouts.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 1:52:37 AM PDT
Maileen says:
Glad I read your review Craig. I was a little hesitant in buying this for my father. The other review was too technical for me. It was like walking inside a huge warehouse. Thanks for the update as well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (380 customer reviews)

$355.00 $59.99