4.0 out of 5 stars Is Intuit out of ideas?, October 15, 2009
This review is from: Quicken Deluxe 2010 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I upgraded from Quicken 2009, installed on 64-bit Windows Vista. No problem while upgrading or data transformation. I used it 3 days and saw following changes in Quicken 2010 -
1. Now I can configure which tabs to show on main panel, options include Bills, Banking, Investing, Planning, etc . I was waiting for this feature, not a big deal but kind of handy when you want to get control of what you want to see.
2. Now Quicken is creating one data file instead of multiple files it used to create for 2009 version. So easy to carry / copy data files.
3. Startup time has improved.
4. Look and Feel of user interface has changed.

I don't know if Intuit made any important under-hood changes or security upgrades but releasing products every year without any significant changes in user experience doesn't make any sense to me. They are also forcing people to upgrade every 3-years, that is very short product life cycle. I think Intuit is out of ideas or solid release plan for their products OR may be only interested in $$

I would say that if you are using Quicken 2008 or 2009 then you may not find any WOW changes unless you are facing any issues with your current version. If your quicken is not automatically downloading data from internet because of sunset policy, you may try this - Many financial institutions allow you to download data in Quicken web-connect format, you can download that on your PC and then import that in your quicken, just one manual step.

I gave 4 stars to this product because it is doing what it is supposed to do and if you are new user then you would like it but 0 stars to Intuit and it's policies.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2009 11:07:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2009 11:08:43 AM PDT
As a reminder to those considering an upgrade, the Quicken tax tables and associated limits (standard deduction, exemption credits) are only available if you upgrade and then only when released. For example, the Quicken 2009 tax updates came in Revision 5 on March 19, 2009 which is a little tight for those who make estimated tax payments. If you don't use Quicken for tax planning, there may be little incentive for upgrading every year other than for the bug fixes (Quicken 2009 is up to Revision 6 as of this writing) and features you may be interested in.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 5:55:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2009 5:56:15 PM PDT
Intuit makes its profit by arbitrarily ending support on products after 3 years. And by taking features out of lower editions and making you pay for them in higher editions (notably in QuickBooks).

Their problem is that bookkeeping is bookkeeping, and it does not change much. So to make a buck, they simply pull the plug on services (My quicken 2006 works FINE but won't connect to servers at institutions anymore - because Intuit is yanking my chain).

DEAR INTUIT ... here is my suggestion ... offer Quicken by subscription for $8/year ... stop jerking people around. Absent of a reasonable sales model, I simply WON'T BUY IT ANYMORE.

Posted on Oct 25, 2009 7:41:34 AM PDT
L. Patil says:
Certain market events have given undue advantage to Intuit like -
1. Microsoft going to discontinue Money
2. Intuit took over Mint.com

For time being Quicken in enjoying monopoly in the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 7:41:56 PM PST
Kevin, I've pretty much reached the same conclusion as you. I've owned almost every version of Quicken (currently the Deluxe 2009 v. now) since it first came out. Sure there are some pretty charts, etc. and some truly useful features, but for me, Intuit has also made several things more difficult than ever. I NEVER try to download data from a financial instituition and anymore because it usually just botches up my bookkeeping by miscategorizing purchases, using the weird vendor names that get reported to the banks and otherwise making my life more complicated, not less. It may just be a learning problem on my part, but shouldn't this problem make one's task easier, not more complicated? I'm also seriously considering ditching the purchase of TurboTax (Deluxe) this year as it has also caused some errors (or caused me to cause some errors) which were painful to try to correct. And don't get me started on the "Help" available. It is worse than bad for me. By the way, I oversee an operation with an $8+ million a year budget, 160 employees, 85,000 customers and report to a board of seven, so I don't think I'm exactly at moron level.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009 1:10:51 PM PST
Maybe Google will create a bookkeeping application.

I have NOT upgraded my Quicken2006, and I don't miss it. Most financial account managers (Fidelity, Schwab, etc) track cost basis, and I bank on line, so I can see my checkbook (actually I can still grab QIFs from my online bank and apply them -- it is only the LIVE handshaking that Intuit has curtailed).

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 11:40:51 AM PST
Thanks for posting this! I was forced to upgrade from 2005 to 2008 and was disappointed. I was wondering if 2010 would be any better - guess not.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 12:01:13 PM PST

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 5:00:18 PM PDT
Ascot1 says:
I upgraded to Quicken 2008 when 2007 would not download financial institutions anymore, and early reviews of Quicken 2010 said buggy and slow. I think I will wait awhile before taking advantage of the free Quicken 2010 being offered ever time I open my Quicken 2008.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.6 out of 5 stars (335 customer reviews)

$69.96