Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE!!!, July 7, 2009
This review is from: Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder (Black) (Discontinued) (Electronics)
I purchased this item in March of 2009 by June of 2009 the VCR had quit working. I called Toshiba and was told that because the warranty had run out on the labor I would have to pay $115.00 for the labor (but what they would really do is send a newly refurbished one) and additional $$ for the shipping both ways, which would have brought the cost of this unit to close to $400.00. We used the dvd player all the time but rarely used the vcr player. Now the soapbox........these companies have got to quit producing junk. We spend our hard earned money on high dollar plastic and it works long enough to walk to the garbage can to throw it out. Please reconsider when purchasing this item.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2010 7:54:10 PM PST
tjnamtiw says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 4:52:44 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 16, 2011 7:48:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 4:52:46 PM PST
It actually started out with "Tricky" Dick Nixon Who went to China in 1978 for the sole purpose of opening trade with "communist China". All the US CEO's and CFO's really picked up that (in the name of the stock holders) and made their fortunes at the expense of the Americans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 9:43:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2010 9:50:45 PM PST
Vickie Dean says:
I don't know if it was bad back then as it is becoming now in light of the billions of dollars we had to borrow after people with no finance education was running that white house office. China wants their money back so they export the cheapest made crap possible for the largest profit margin to regain the loss quicker. I just feel like they sit over there and thumb their noses at us and think "man, what suckers!"

To add fuel to the fire....I just purchased an LG refrigerator at Best Buy in July 2010, by October 2010 it stopped cooling. I called Best Buy but because I did not buy their extended warranty they would not stand behind the product. I do have a 1 year warranty on the POS through LG but I was out a refrigerator for 10 days. The repairman replaced the "brains", which took all of about 20 minutes.

On November 26th 2010 the POS went out again. Now I'm madder, no not mad, I am PISSED!!, at Best Buy and LG. What the heck was I to do with all the leftover Thanksgiving food? The "customer service supervisor" was about 12 years old and needed a spanking, something I'm sure mom nor dad ever felt like he needed. LG's attitude is you were dumb enough to buy one of our products now it's your's. In order for me to make sure I have a "working" refrigerator by this time next year, I will need to purchase an extended warranty plan, which by the way has become the end of every sentence when you buy any thing with a motor in it.

Why don't they just slap the money we have to dish out for the extended warranty on the price and make a quality product? I did find out that LG use to be Gold Star, the biggest POS product of the 1980's and it's corporate office is in South Korea!!

And......I just purchased a $50.00 clock radio which did not work out of the box. Boy am I getting sick of this and I bet there are a few others out there as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 10:42:10 AM PST
Paul Gray says:
You shoulda bought an American refrigerator, shame on you on that one. As for quality - everyone should make quality but in a global environment, the incentive isn't there as long as fools keep buying crap. Corporations have no morals, only bottom lines. They've become masters at playing shell game to keep you and me from being able to know who makes what and where.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 10:20:01 PM PST
Vickie Dean says:
What's American anymore? There's no such animal. Fully manufactured in America is a thing of the past. Try not buying any China, Korean, India, Bangladesh, Japan, or Mexican made products for 1 week......good luck.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 3:26:47 PM PST
I think the consumer gets some of the credit (blame) for cheapening electronics. How many consumers will purchase a $200 unit instead of a $100 one? In shopping the Amazon reviews, I find some indication of a lower ratio of defects and burn-outs in higher priced electronics, though it's a little hard to tell because not everyone will report a working machine. Would be interesting to have reliability data, though. Consumer Reports?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 9:08:24 PM PST
Nobull says:
i will not buy this product because of your review. thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013 1:48:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2013 1:50:30 AM PDT
J. Mack says:
Here is a mark of uniformed people and the mentality that results from it.

Sure China makes cheap stuff, and some of its is junk. But listen real close... Toshiba is not a Chinese company, its Japanese. And Japan makes some of the best electronics in the world. And yes, most of the stuff on our shelves is foreign, but a lot of this is due to the fact that "American" companies are taking their production overseas for the cheaper labor. Zenith, viewed as the last orginal US tv maker, sold its controlling interest to the South Korean company LG, due to loss of profits.

This is consumer driven, when American companies can't compete, and go out of business, who are you going to get your products from? Make em in your home?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2014 6:31:06 PM PDT