The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Promising Product but Quality Will Let You Down, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Jawbone JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Red Dot - Retail Packaging (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I got this product because a good friend had recommended it to me (we usually have the same taste in electronics among other things). Both he and I travel for our jobs and having a nice and compact speaker system is a nice to have when you are in a hotel room for a month or so. Actually, he demonstrated his Jambox for me while we were in Japan, and I thought the sound quality was pretty good for its size (this, of course, happened about 5 minutes later as there were some Bluetooth pairing complications due to the unit's low battery). In the end, while in Japan, I ordered the Red Dot Jambox and timed it to be shipped to my California address the same time I'd be home for a brief visit so I could go back to Japan with my new toy.

My first impression when I opened the box was that it was a very nice looking product and came with a nice variety of accessories: compact case for the Jambox, short and long USB charging cables, USB wall charger and AUX cable. I immediately plugged the unit into the wall to charge, powered it on, and connected it to my iPhone 4 via the AUX cable. As expected, the sound was flawless since it was directly connected to my phone. The sound was impressive and the bass really kicked in also. After the AUX check, I let the unit charge for about 30 minutes and then proceeded to test the Bluetooth portion. It took me about 5 minutes to pair it up with my iPhone and stream some music from iHeartRadio (the sliding power switch and its LED lighting scheme takes some time to get familiar with). Success!

At this point, I thought I'd be taking this thing back to Japan so I can enjoy my music from this speaker instead of my iPhone/iPad/laptop; however, this was not the case... I went to sleep with the music streaming from my phone to the Jambox. The next day I woke up and the music was not playing anymore. My phone still indicated that the music was playing, but there was no sound from the Jambox, only static. Perplexed, I turned off the Bluetooth from my phone and the music started playing on my phone again. I tried turning on Bluetooth, re-pairing, forgetting, re-pairing, and basically every combination to try to get the Jambox to play again but with no success. I then reverted back to the AUX cable, and as I expected, music would play from the Jambox again. A quick search on Google confirms that many people have experienced the same type of problem with many occurring after updating their units' software/firmware. I read that some people were able to get the Bluetooth mode on the Jambox working again by inserting the AUX cable about 3/4 of the way into the unit (leaving the other end unconnected), so I gave it a try. Voila, it worked! However, when you pull out the AUX cable, the music stops and the static returns. Slightly puzzled, I did some more reading on Google and saw people were getting replacement units directly from Jawbone when they contacted Customer Service, so I quickly followed suit...

My first call to Customer Service had me perform a "Soft Reset" of the Jambox after unpairing the unit with my phone. After the unit was powered on again, I paired it up with my phone (which I was currently using to talk to the rep). Once the unit paired, it automatically went from my phone's receiver/speaker to that of the Jambox (I was actually a bit surprised because I never really intended to use the Jambox for a speaker phone, but it was nice to know that this feature was still working). The rep then instructed me to try to play music, so I opened up iHeartRadio again and started playing a station. To my amazement, the music started streaming to the Jambox even while I was still on the call with Customer Service, so I thought the problem had been resolved and tried to get the music to stream normally again. But when I ended the call, the music also stopped. To my understanding, there is a hierarchy on what the Jambox will stream audio: I think it goes AUX, phone calls, music (so basically AUX before Bluetooth and phone calls before music). This was also confirmed by the Customer Service rep, saying the music should not be playing while we were on our call. After more troubleshooting with no luck, I started reading up on a user who had the same issue as mine but was able to get his working by sticking a small screwdriver into his AUX port on the Jambox and removing it (basically similar to inserting the AUX cable and removing it). Getting frustrated, I gave it a try and actually got it to stream on one attempt. But with the success rate being very, very low, I decided to call Customer Support one more time for more troubleshooting advice and having the last resort intention of asking for a replacement unit (which eventually I would not do). Same thing as the first call, "Soft Reset" followed by a "Hard Reset", still no luck. The rep also suggested to update the SW, which I found absurd since the Jambox was working fine the night before. This was clearly a hardware problem. In my experience it was similar to a problem which I suffered once with my iPhone 3G; when listening to music through headphones, I unplugged the headphone jack from the phone, but the phone still thought the headphones were plugged in. There's a switch in the jack which senses if something is plugged in or not. Solution: insert headphones and remove again. I figure this was the same type of problem that was happening with the Jambox.

After the whole ordeal with Customer Service and trying to get this unit back to life, I decided to just give up and return it. Like it says in the title, the idea of this product is nice, and it packs a nice punch with its sound and capabilities; however, the quality of this $179.99 product is severely lacking. 1 day and the unit is malfunctioning. In others' experiences, upgrade software and then the units malfunction. I'd gladly fork over the $179.99 for something like this since I can conveniently put it in my suitcase when I travel, but I won't be doing so until Jawbone comes out with a new and improved model which is free of all the quality issues and is clearly labeled as such (i.e. Rev 3 or what have you).

2 Stars, don't buy until quality is fixed, and just read all the reviews on this product.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:59:13 AM PDT
Hi Omar!

We work very hard to make sure that all products sent out to our customers are of the highest quality. Unfortunately, on rare occasions our customers may receive a product that has some issues. It is our policy to quickly replace these units under our one-year limited warranty.

We have made big improvements to our service since your review was posted last year, and we continue to learn from great customer feedback such as yours. We truly value your business and hope that one day you will give us another chance!

--Jawbone Support

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2011 6:36:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2011 6:37:33 PM PDT
HB says:
Nice review, yet one thing puzzles me. You said you charged it up for 30 minutes which is really not enough for sustained use.
I seem to probably be missing something here. A unit that is struggling with mediocre power, will give inconsistent responses.

I just bought one a week ago and I'm fairly satisfied with the unit. My unit pairs within 15 seconds to my tablet and is an improvement in sound quality.
I do find it insulting to read in the ad here that it has stunning hi-fi sound-- I suppose like a smart car is a limousine.
I'm probably going to return my unit for I paid even more than you had.
The Jambox could have used a crisper high end, as it is now, it sounds like good am radio. If they can make 3/4 " tweeters, they can make quality fuller frequency sound output and if any one mentions bass here-- they should be flogged. Let's say it has a rich sound, but it's not bass capable.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 9:24:33 PM PDT
Omar says:
Let me add a little more detail... I charged it for 30 minutes and then started to test the Bluetooth functions. After I got everything working, I let the unit charge for about 5-6 hours before setting it up for my slumber.

I totally agree with you in that the sound quality is welcomed plus over the standard speakers of my iPhone, iPad and Toshiba work computer, but now that you mentioned it, the Jambox really does fall short of its $180-$200 pricetag. If I had it my way, I'd listen to my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5's all the time, but sometimes it's nice to be wireless... Looks like I'll have to find another product to satisfy that (won't be Bose). Let me know if you find anything. Thanks for the feedback as well!

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 2:41:15 PM PST
Philscbx says:
These posts should be logged in by serial number of unit.
People send back a faulty unit,
Amazon then turns it right around and sends it to someone else.

They do this all the time with all electronics & TV's.

My Son & I both purchased this unit, from different source and totally flawless over the last 12 months.
Neither one from Amazon.

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:59:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 12:03:20 PM PDT
Hi Omar!

--Jawbone Support

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 5:42:34 AM PST
Rick Brenner says:
It seems to me that pairing with bluetooth technology is the problem. Does ANY bluetooth product out there pair and stay paired? My cell phone Panasonic pairing unit is always disconnecting and has trouble reconnecting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 11:15:43 AM PST
caraZma says:
JS,

It is suspicious and offensive that you wait until the start of the holiday shopping season - NINE months - to attempt to reply to the critical review. I am returning the Jambox I just bought to Costco today.

Posted on May 5, 2013 5:56:30 PM PDT
Eric says:
The bluetooth not working is a known issue - have it on mine, and am thinking about soldering it so that it works. as per: http://howto.pui.ch/post/37471161448/how-to-fix-jambox-static-noise-and-no-bluetooth
‹ Previous 1 Next ›