5.0 out of 5 stars Bose Lifestyle V25 System, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Bose Lifestyle V25 Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
The system which this replaced was a Sony AV system with JBL speakers (very large); though not a audiophile system, I was happy with it. The Bose system is much better and has excellent sound. I also bought the SL2 surround link so I wouldn't have to have wires for my rear speakers; this is a great feature and I would highly recommend it.

Before buying the system, I read many reviews, read all the Bose on-line information and called Bose. I verified that the only difference between the V25 and the V35 is the physical size of the speakers. For $800 more, I could not justify the V35 size speakers. Once I got my V25 system I am convinced the extra $800 would NOT be worth it. The V25 speakers are very small, and 3/4" to 1" difference in dimensions makes absolutely no difference to me; nor would I think it would matter for any normal system setup. So, if you're considering the Bose lifestyle, don't waste time looking at the V35 system unless you've got more money than you know what to do with !

However, where you could spend that money you saved on a V35 might be for a pre-amp, for a turntable. I still have a very nice turntable and many vinyls, which I want to use through my Bose. You can't connect a turntable to your Bose system without a pre-amp; so, you have to call Bose and order one through them. Just thought I'd point this out because it was not obvious to me when I bought the system. I only realized it when I tried to hook it up.

As for the setup, it is easy; however, those who claim they can do it in 2 hours must be technical/electronic gurus. I'm an engineer, with a strong electronics background; however, it took me about 4 hours. I should add that I had to put together front speaker stands and rear-speaker bookshelf stands, which did take extra time. It also takes time to un-do your existing system and rerun cables, etc. for the Bose system. Then there's running the Adaptiq, and adding each component. And, you need time to try various positions for the reflective speakers so you can get the best sound. So, plan on a whole afternoon or evening.

As for setup, I quickly ran out of inputs on the Bose system (5 on the back). Probably because I have some older components I want to use, such as a VCR and CD changer. So, if you use a digital optical cable from your TV to your Bose, you can overcome the limitation. For instance, I hooked my VCR straight to my TV, and I hooked my DVD player straight to my TV. This way, you can select "TV" as the source on your Bose, and with an HDMI cable and optical cable from your TV to your Bose, you can play them both. You only have to select the correct input on your TV for whatever component you want to use.

As for the Bose remote, I don't use it. It will not work correctly with older components, and even with some newer ones. You use the setup process with the Bose, and it is supposed to figure out what your component is, and how to control it, by you pressing various buttons on your old remote in response to the Bose setup guide. It usually gets the basic ones such as volume, power and channel, but not always the others. Would be nice if you could just input your specific component and the Bose would know how to control it, but it doesn't work that way. So, I continue to use my Logitech Harmony One remote, which works great and controls all my components as well as the Bose. So, you might want to consider this if you have any older components, or you want a remote that will truly control everything.

The Bose surround works great, and the rear speakers are picking up much more than my old system did. Also, I can turn it up to ear-splitting and there's no distortion. Overall, an excellent system and I'm very happy with it. I highly recommend it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2012 1:25:33 PM PDT
E Lepotakis says:
For a Pre-amp try this site: http://www.oaktreevintage.com/Stereo_Turntables.htm

By the way, it is more than just the size of the speaker for cost difference in the 2 systems. I do own the V35 and also tried out the V25 series. I liked the higher tone output on the V35. From www.4Electronics Warehouse on the differnece: They use design innovations such as a nautilus-shaped port and Direct/Reflecting® speaker technology to deliver more open, spacious sound throughout the listening area.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:53:18 AM PDT
SevenMichael says:
Thanks for the clarification on the V35. Interestingly, when I called BOSE directly, it was their representative who told me the only difference is the size. Also, if you go to the BOSE website and compare the V25 and V35, the only difference you'll see is the size.

As for the Pre-amp, I should have mentioned that the one from BOSE is only $31.40 delivered to my house. I've ordered it, but have not yet received it. The BOSE representative guaranteed me it would work perfectly with the lifestyle system, and you can't beat the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:19:05 PM PDT
E Lepotakis says:
I always learn something new from Bose. I was unaware that they sold the Pre-Amp for Turntables. I will keep this in mind as I am looking to purchase a turntable as a gift for my wife and will order as well from Bose when I am ready.

You will really appreciate the Lifestyle system for not only a Home Theatre, but the capabilities of the Bose Link System to expand your sound experience both indoors and out. When you are ready to add on to your lifestyle I would recommend the Bose 251 Outdoor Speakers. They have excellent sound and a very wide field for which it projects audio. You will be able to listen you your favorite music while someone else is viewing in the main area.

Enjoy your system, it really is the best experience.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›