5.0 out of 5 stars Not religious, but Spiritual, December 27, 2005
This review is from: Discover the Power Within You (Paperback)
My first review of this book was written in 2002. Three years later and I still highly recommend this book to people who are new on the spiritual journey as well as those who are "advanced students". I use that term loosely as I feel that the only advances we ever really make are those in terms of consciousness.

There was one review that said this book was too religious. I think that Butterworth uses a lot of terms associated with the Christian religion but in no means does it make this book "religious". Butterworth stresses that Jesus is not the great exception but the great example.

I can see where the reader may have gotten a tad scared because there is a tendency on the part of some spiritual seekers to want to do away with anything that has to do with Jesus and Christianity. But I feel that the Christian religion is not truly based on the real message of Jesus. Creeds and Dogma and rites and ceremonies came after Jesus left the scene. Let us remember that Jesus himself was not a Christian at all, but a Jew who plumbed the depths of the Torah and had a revelation so magnificent that he wanted to share it with all.

Jesus discovered that there is a Power within all of us. Read your Bible, people! He said, "What I have done, you can do likewise and even greater things than these..." People don't want to hear that because that means we now have an inner responsibility to committ to but let us also remember that it is never we, ourselves, that do the work but the "Father within". Does a seed know how to turn into a flower? Does a caterpillar know how to turn itself into a butterfly? Do we, in all our supposed knowledge, really know how to turn bread, milk, and cheese into bones, muscle, and living tissue? If we are truly honest with ourselves we will come to the awareness that we do not, but something does and we can surrender to that Power not out of sheer defeat, but out of a boundless joy that we did not create our lives, Something greater did and It is this Something greater that lives, moves, and has all of Its Being in us, as us.

This book reminds us on every page that ONLY GOD is to be relied upon. It's a tough concept to do, and yet God in Its Infinite Love never judges us and condemns us for slipping up as we are so apt to do.

If you have grown tired of all the religious dogma, if you feel beat down by all the religious folk who say they know Jesus but still talk of hate, hell, and the devil, then come to your-SELF...come to your God SELF and let the Power within release you of fear and return you to a place of peace.

May Love guide our thoughts, our words, and our deeds.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2009 5:16:36 AM PST
J. Smith says:
What a fabulous review! Very well put.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 11:39:17 AM PST
Thank you very much for stopping by and including those wonderful comments!

Peace & Blessings,
john

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 12:44:43 PM PST
Cindy M says:
Thank you for taking the time to share this!!!

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 3:39:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2010 3:39:55 PM PDT
NoCAGal says:
I loved this book also and found that it helped me to comprehend the Bible as was written! My understanding of those ancient words grew considerably after reading Eric's book. The ancient language and passage connotations (in the Bible) can sometimes be hard to break down or understand; this book helps dispel any confusion. It also gave me a greater appreciation for the Bible.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 5:02:55 PM PDT
patti says:
Your review of this book was very refreshing. I have owned this book for at least 10 years or more and the pages are starting to fall out because I have read and referred back to this book so many times. Just recently, I picked this book back up to read again! It is still a great book and I still get so much in return by reading it. Thanks again for your wonderful review!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (44 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01